Hog Hunting with knives

I'm with you, Jill.

It seemed like a pretty reasonable thing to do...not as crazy as it might seem.

But that didn't take any of the jitters off when the first hog was caught by the dogs.

The second hog (Craig's) actually broke loose a couple times and was ready to charge anybody who got near it.

That, and once you release the catch dogs (pits & dogos) you have a short window of opportunity to get the job done before it starts getting dangerous.

For me, it's kind of like watching Shaq dunk the ball in a game. He's a pro and makes it look easy. But a lot of prep/training/timing/guts still goes into it.

All that said...it is quite an adrenaline rush!

for the welcome! I just checked out the dogs on the boars videos on the aussie site with the hogs being stuck, wow great vids you guys have to check out the way these aussies and their dogs handle these boars! dogs are very impressive. I believe from these vids of the hogs being stuck while held that the most important thing is to have dogs with grit hanging on to the hogs ears, so you can stick them without being tusked. i know i'm a girl and just 19, but after seeing these vids i see how over hyped americans make walking up and sticking a pig in the heart while a few pits or american bulls hold it. i used to think it was pretty brave thing to do but i am 123 pounds and i'd do it! the dogs aren't going to let it go and you wait till they have it clearly subued.

Jill

The Dogo Argentino is an amazing dog! As stated on the web site of Dogo Argentino Club of America, it's a hunter, a showman, as well as, a trustworthy family companion. It is muscular, yet graceful and very clever! In a nutshell the Dogo Argentino has a Coat of White Satin, a Body of Steel and a Heart of Gold! One thing to remember though: this is not a dog for everyone. If you want to find out more about this truly exceptional dog I suggest you visit http://www.dogo-argentino.com/o_dogo_e.htm.

G

the aussies use pit bulls, american bulls, staghounds, bull arabs, grey hounds crossed with pit, danes x bullmastiffs, and a few different type crosses. i know the dogo is bred in south america to hunt big game. that site boardogs has a lot about the breeds the aussies use and a lot of hunting stories, plus great vids you can download of hogs being hunted and held and stuck. those guys make it look easy maybe its not always, but i got a good pit with another like her i'd sure give it a go with a sharp 8 or 9 inch sticker type bowie blade. the hogs heart is down pretty low and they seem to die right away when its hit. (aussies seem to use dogs they can obtain easy the american bull is just showing up and i'm certain the dogo will be someday) my friend in australia tells me the native roos are hunted with dogs as well and they are very hard fighters. its illegal to show any vids of those being killed as they are native and you are supposed to get a permit to hunt them. my friend tells me more dogs and people are badly hurt by the 'roos, than the hogs. and only the craziest aussies will try to knife a roo as they are very hard to kill.

hmm...taking on a kangaroo with a knife?? Ok I am down with it...Do they allow indigenous people's to hunt them??

They do have tuff skin...I have made a couple knife sheaths from roo skin and it is some tuff stuff

one day i hope to have a Dogo...I will call him "Dario Argentina"!!! hjehehhaahahahahahaaaa

hmm...taking on a kangaroo with a knife?? Ok I am down with it...Do they allow indigenous people's to hunt them??

They do have tuff skin...I have made a couple knife sheaths from roo skin and it is some tuff stuff

one day i hope to have a Dogo...I will call him "Dario Argentina"!!! hjehehhaahahahahahaaaa

the roos are pests that are killed just to control the numbers. the military will reduce them by the 1000's at times in certain areas. they are hunted at night a lot by putting a spot light on them and blinding them then releasing the dogs. as they can be hard to catch with dogs otherwise. they are very strong and have powerful hind legs that they use to jump up and rake a person or dog with razor sharp claws. my aussie friend told me often they will bound into your car at night and bounce off and they are so tough they dent your car and keep on going. although you are meant to get a permit to hunt them she says nobody does. hogs being non native and considered pests are killed with no restrictions. the roos are different being they are native and are somewhat more protected. her family has roo dogs and mostly they are wolfhounds and deer hounds crossed. she claims the roos are hard to kill even with a gun.

The hardest part of hunting Roos is clamping the coil springs on your feet.:rolleyes:

heres a bit about a popular cross used in Australia from 'BOARDOGS' HISTORY: The origins of the Bull Greyhound go back 30 years or so and like many of the older type lines, the early days are a bit of a mystery. As far as I know Peter Ayre was the original breeder of the line of dogs I have today. Peter started breeding them in the 70’s with the original dogs being straight English Bull Terrier crossed with a racing Greyhound, they were a tall very fast dog leaning more to the Greyhound. Over the years the line has evolved to be a bigger and heavier type dog and with the addition of Airedale Terrier and Pit Bull Terrier (from two single breedings) more of a nose dog. Although not all of the remaining dogs have the Airedale blood in them.
MY FIRST ENCOUNTER WITH THE BREED: In the early 80’s I was seventeen and on holidays in Moama NSW. I was walking through a service station when an old ute pulled up, on the back was a large crate with several large white running dogs that looked as hard as hell. Also in the back was a large black boar. I asked all about these terrific looking dogs and what they did and from that day on all I wanted to do was catch pigs. I later found out that the driver of the ute was Peter Ayre.
TYPE OF DOG: The Bull Greyhound is a tall, fast running dog that is built fairly solidly with a good sized head. They have excellent eyesight and a keen nose and are thick skinned. The size of the dogs range from 40kg to 50kg and up to 30 inches at the shoulder, the bitches are from 35kg to 45kg and around the same height. They throw very true to type but as with any cross breed some individuals can fall outside these measurements. They have a life span of around thirteen years and are mostly trouble free having no inherent health problems.
HUNTING STYLE: They excel when hunting on foot, covering a lot of ground using both nose and sight. Once on the trail you could only hope to keep up. They are great in lignum and crops as well as open forest. They love spotlighting, never taking their eyes off the light, and on stubble they run fleeing pigs down fast. They don’t hesitate or bark when grabbing pigs, often hitting them so hard both pig and dog go flying only to come up swinging off an ear. Hunting comes as a natural to them, I have seen on two occasions pups only 12-14 weeks taken out for a run with the older dogs and when encountering pigs splitting off solo and catching their own small pig, standing there proud as punch hanging off an ear.
APPEARANCE: They come in a range of colours, white with red or brindle patches, solid red and brindle, black, tan and pure white. They have a short coat however there is a branch of this line in QLD that has a rough coat.
PRESENT RANGE: The breed was fairly wide spread at one stage, but numbers dwindled with a lot of the old hunters retiring and younger hunters using the newer breeds around. It came down to a very small number of dogs left in the line. I bred a number of litters using the remaining dogs as did a couple of others, the line now seems to be coming back strong with new and old hunters using and liking the breed, the future seems positive. I have sent pups to most states of Australia with NT, QLD and NSW the most popular. One pup also ended up in Hawaii and is doing great things there.
THE FUTURE: As well as my own dogs I have access to a fair few dogs and am keeping two bitch pups from my present litter depending on their abilities will incorporate them into future breeding. We are always planning new tactics in how to bring the right dogs together to keep the line strong. Pups are available at time, please don’t hesitate to ask.

FROSTI (Frosti can be contacted via a post or personal message on the Boardogs forum)

more information on DANExBULLMASTIFF from boardogs. Some info on Bull Mastiff x Great Dane's as told to Aidy by Matt S a mate of Aidy's who hunt's with them and breeds them. He's been hunting with them for approximately 9 years and breeding for the last 7 years and has caught hundreds of pigs with them.

How early do they start? They start from 3months depending on Which way they throw, generally speaking Matt's found that the Dane types start earlier than the Mastiff types.

When do you start them? Matt starts his own dogs at 5months.

Do they work on hot or cold scent? Matt's found that this depends on the individual, he finds that trackers are necessary with this breed.

Will they go looking or so they wait until you walk/drive across scent? They go looking.

Are they holders or bailers? No bailing just holders.

What are the bloodlines of your dogs? Matt's dogs are basically Bull Mastiff cross Great Dane, he breeds the best he's got together, and if someone has a dog of similar breeding that's better he'll use that. Matt tries to keep hold of his good
bitches as he's found they've been the building blocks of his line.

Are they better off the truck or off the ground? Like any good pig dog once trained and given enough work they'll find off the ground and off the truck, he finds they work better off the truck, Matt say's "work is the key".

Do they have any bad points? The honest answer is yes. They are big (between 40and 75kg) and do eat a lot especially as pup's [Aidy's been there at feed time] and any dog that eats, shits so there's a bit of cleaning up involved with them. Over all they are pretty placid and are good with kids, and will catch pigs.

like this one?

bull-greyhound.jpg

http://www.hardcorehunting.co.uk/html/lurchers.html

I used to live in Aussie.Take it from me a big Red Roo WILL ruin your day if you get it riled up.In fact people regularly end up in hospital after getting ripped up by roos.A big Grey Roo will do the same.We used 12g,.243,.308,30-30,7.62x39,Katana,and even the .22 rim fire ( and that was VERY EXCITING in a negative sort of way - still did the job but not recommended!).Re the Katana - yes thats right you read that correctly.You are actually supposed to get Govt tags for Kangeroos in Aussie.In some places they are in almost plague numbers.Big Reds will take out cars if you hit them - heck I seen a wombat take out a Kenworth Truck!On my side of the Tasman Sea we have folks( men/woman and kids) who hunt wild pigs with just dogs and a knife.They have even made videos of knife hunting for pigs. As for me I prefer a rifle for pigs - cos pigs are mean and nasty and I've seen the damage that they can do.

Sounds good to me! :thumbup:

I already have my next knife drawn up...

attachment.php

O1/L6 damascus with ironwood handle

Whatcha think?

Danny - I'll probably do another hunt next spring with some buddies - you're welcome to come. The Annual knifemaker hunt will happen again as well and there's an "open spot". I think a tanto would work great! :thumbup:

Attachments

• pigsticker5.jpg
    pigsticker5.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 113
that new knife blade has a profile that reminds me ofthe Randall 14. (a damn nice design)
Actually, I liek this one better than the first one. it seems more utilitarian.
I want to use a ninja-to to kill my pig, the short Togakure-ryu type.
When I say short, I mean short. The blade is usually about 2 inches longer than the handle!
I want to use a Koster-made ninja to. Are you up to it?

When is this this spring hunt scheduled to happen? Maybe I can figure something out.
ITs a $$$ thing flying across the pacific, but if i know many months in advance, maybe i can swing it.

Sounds good to me! :thumbup:

I already have my next knife drawn up...

attachment.php

O1/L6 damascus with ironwood handle

Whatcha think?

Danny - I'll probably do another hunt next spring with some buddies - you're welcome to come. The Annual knifemaker hunt will happen again as well and there's an "open spot". I think a tanto would work great! :thumbup:

Dan - That bad boy is looking good :eek: :eek:

I would have to agree, A Tanto would "Get it Done"

No need to apologize, Josh. I'll take your enthusiasm as a compliment. :D :eek: :p

Andy - I have a photo of a painting showing a katar being used to kill a boar! just can't seem to find it right now...:(

Danny - I'm up for it. If it needs a tsuba, then you'll have to provide one...not crazy about making them. Have you seen Jason Cutter's Firestorm knife? (takedown)

Here's the latest one:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398660

I think something like that with a 7" blade would be the cat's meow...(roar, maybe?)

Dan get rid of that finger hole, sooner or later you will get at least broken finger or loose it stickng pigs. Pulling the knife out is a lot easier than pushing it in. Also think about the need to hold the knife in either direction in your hand. I like the general design. Nice belly & point design. I do not have any experiance with 5160 but I was under the impression that CPM 3v was quite a bit stronger than 5160 which would alow for a thinner blade which in turn would be easier to penetrate and move back & forth to open the wound. Or am I mistaken about the 3V. It has been many years since I have stuck a pig but I felt a thin blade got the job done a lot easier (thin meaning about .175)
just be sure it will flex instead of breaking.

Back