Holding on to thin billets

Stromberg Knives

strombergknives.com
Hey!

When I make laminated steel I weld some rebar to the billet as a handle. This works well when the billet is pretty thick, when I make hunters or larger/thicker blades. But lately I've been trying to make thinner san mai for kitchen knives. My biggest problem is holding on to the rather thin billet. Welding a rebar to the thin billet doesn't really work, it tends to get floppy like spaghetti and I lose control at the power hammer.

Any great ideas? Use tongs? If so, what type would work best with these thin billets?

Holding on while making them or while forging them out?

watch Murray Carter videos and he uses two tongs simultaneously

Both I guess, my current method with the welded on rebar works for both setting the welds and then drawing it out.

I'm going to watch Murrays videos at once, thanks!

I weld on a short piece of flat bar that's thinner than the billet ,by the time it's ready to break off I can hold onto the billet.

That's a great idea! I'm trying to solve two different "problems" with one solution instead of thinking about them separately.

What kind of tongs will give the best grip of a thin billet?

Hey!

When I make laminated steel I weld some rebar to the billet as a handle. This works well when the billet is pretty thick, when I make hunters or larger/thicker blades. But lately I've been trying to make thinner san mai for kitchen knives. My biggest problem is holding on to the rather thin billet. Welding a rebar to the thin billet doesn't really work, it tends to get floppy like spaghetti and I lose control at the power hammer.

Any great ideas? Use tongs? If so, what type would work best with these thin billets?
I have this one , maybe you will like them . 10 inch long , i cut that cutting edge on both side till handles become comfortable to hold when closed with thin steel ...works for me , but i have never used tongs so i have no idea what real tongs are...:)
qqkgYW7.jpg

FMZmo9A.jpg

You could also make the central part of your billet, slightly longer. That way you'll have plenty of material to weld to, without worrying about messing up your pattern.

Back