Holes in triad lock help

Hey guys I got a black talon 2 brand new from a reputable dealer and it seems to have some sort of pock marks there is no rust in them so I guess it’s not pitting? Is this normal or a bad heat treat
? Thank you.
raGtYXQ
PxPjcL3
UNQR9oU

https://imgur.com/a/MlWe6UO

Last edited:
Tbh it’s no big deal. I’ve seen that in multiple models. The lockbar isn’t the most finished part of the knife

Thanks for the reply so it’s not corrosion?
Those part are stamped not milled imo, so perhaps it’s just not finished very well. I doubt you’ll get crazy pitting like this from corrosion as those are pretty stainless. I wouldn’t be too concerned about it as it’s unlikely going to be the failure point. The g10 scale near the front stop pin will shear first before the lockbar is broken.

It looks like a rough cut on a water jet. The critical areas on the lockbar are ground to tight tolerance. The area in question is hidden, so they take a quick pass and leave it pretty rough. I've noticed Cold Steel doesn't do fine machining on hidden parts that don't engage with other parts.

Not finishing areas like that help keep costs down and don't affect reliability , durability or performance one bit. I'm all for keeping costs down like that. Everybody does it to one extent or another.

Joe

Back