• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Holiday sale on Work Rests, Platens, Magchucks and Chillers!!

Contender Machine

Dealer / Materials Provider
Happy Thanksgiving Bladeforums!

I am excited to announce a sale on all my knifemaking tools!
Now through Monday November 29th if you order off my website https://contenderworks.com/ and spend $100+ use the code Sharp15 to get 15% off or if you spend $600+ use the code Sharp20 for 20% off!

I would also like to introduce a few new products to Bladeforums!

The most exciting is the 7 Axis Articulating Work Rest. I would like to thank REK Knives REK Knives for the help develop this work rest. Josh was instrumental in the design and testing during the development of this work rest! He makes knives professionally and I think if you would ask him he’d tell you it’s his dream work rest!

This work rest will fit any grinder that takes at least two 1.5 inch tool arms. The tool arm is FULLY CNC machined from 6061 Aluminum and measures 15.75 inches in length. The rest of the work rest is built from Stainless Steel and Aluminum allowing it to be used for wet grinding. The only part made from steel is the laser cut table top. This work rest is built to be modular with tables and attachments being swapped out in seconds if equipped with the optional electromagnet. The tables have locating dowels to position them. They also have 2 bolts to hold the tables on if not optioned with the electromagnet.
The standard table is .375x4x6 inches and features machined bevels for grinding at angles. The optional large table is .375x6x24 which makes it perfect for jig grinding.
This work rest can hit any position needed for grinding in either vertical or horizontal configurations. It can also be set up in either left or right hand configuration. The hinge point at the tool arm allows it to be quickly swung out of the way to change belts or attachments.
Stay tuned for more great modular attachments that will fit directly onto this work rest!
Normal price for the basic unit with the small table is $500. The electromagnet option is an additional $100. The large work table for jig grinding is an additional $50. The electromagnet and large table can be added to any basic unit if purchased in the future. Those and all prices listed here are before the discount this weekend!

Another awesome tool I am excited to announce is the magnetic, water cooled heatsink/chiller! There are quite a few guys running these currently and they all say they notice reduced heat build up on their flat and radius platens. These will snap right to the back of almost every factory grinder platen!

This tool requires the owner to purchase a small submersible pump (hardware stores or several places on the internet carry them). Just drop the pump in a bucket of water and plug the hoses (1/2 OD input and 3/8 OD output) into the included push to connect fittings. Place the heatsink onto the back of any magnetic flat or radius platen and switch the magnet on. It also comes standard with a coolant line, valve and nozzle to have an optional flood coolant spray onto your belt or work piece when desired. The hoses are not included in the package. These can be purchased by the required foot at any hardware store.

Add the optional misting attachment with an air line (air compressor required) and you’ll have the option to switch from flood coolant to a mist spray or air blast. The misting attachment will fit onto any 1/4 LocLine hose. Regular price on the heatsink is $125 and the misting attachment is an additional $25.

I have also begun producing radius platens that fit several of the popular grinders. These are currently available in a 9 inch long by 2 inch wide 72 or 48 inch radius platen. They simulate 72 and 48 inch diameter grinding wheels respectively. Each one has three sets of 1/4 inch bolt holes at 6,
6.75 and 8 inch spacings. Please check fitment to your grinder. The platens are CNC machined from 1018 CRS then professionally case hardened to 62RC. This makes for an economical yet very wear resistant radius platen. Perfect for anyone wanting to get into a nice radius platen without breaking the bank. I will very quickly have case hardened and surface ground flat platens available as well. Normal price on any platen is $75.

Lastly I would also like to say that I now carry 5mm thick ceramic platen liners. These are professionally water-jet cut to tight tolerances with nice square edges. Available in 7, 8 and 9 inch lengths priced at $16-$18.

Magchucks are also in stock and on sale! These are excellent blade holding devices for hand sanding, file work or any other task. That’s a tool I know I couldn’t be without in the knife shop.

I hope many of you will take advantage of the sale this weekend and try out some of these tools!

All these tools are CNC machined right here in the United States by me. As always if anyone has any custom tools, jigs or platens they’d like built I will gladly work with you and quote them. Either order directly of my website, message me on the forum or shoot me an email (darren@contenderworks.com) to place an order. Any orders placed this weekend should ship out early next week. Some pictures below of the different tools described above. Hope you all enjoy and happy Thanksgiving!

Shows the work rest with close ups on the electromagnet and bottom side of the table with locating dowels.

Magnetic Heatsink and radius platens on a Reeder and KMG grinder.

Magnetic Heatsink Package.

Radius Platen.

Misting Attachment for 1/4 LocLine.

Ceramic Platen Liner.

Back