Hollow Grinding Jig

What is a simple (but efficient) design for a home made hollow grinding Jig.
I have a belt linisher and angle grinder as well as a dremel but will seriously consider all options.
Regards,
Neville

This is the jig i use, everyone has a set readily available. takes some practice to get use to it but once you do you will find that thy are very versatile.
Hard%20Working%20Hands%20on%20Anvil.jpg

This is the jig i use, everyone has a set readily available. takes some practice to get use to it but once you do you will find that thy are very versatile.
Yes, it's funny but not helpfull. Some people just can't do that (at least on begining)...

To Hotopal: Try this link and make nice time yourself by watching YouTube. :)

Thats statement is not true. If you put in your 10,000 hours, I guarantee you will be good at it. Jigs just slow down your learning process, its like using auto pilot to fly the plane. Are you really learning by sliding a jig across the belt. I made every jig known to man and wasted alot of time and money. It is frustrating at first, but you will learn.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti jigs. I'm all for speeding up your work. But I feal jigs are attractive to newbs becaus thy feal like it's a way to bypass the learning curve and achieve the grinds advanced bladesmiths have worked hard to learn. It's almost like saying I don't need to learn how to do math because I have a calculator. Not trying to talk down to new makers. Just don't use jigs as a way to bypass the very important learning stages in this journey.

Last edited:
I started with jigs on about my first 8 knives. I found out real quick how limiting they are and the type of grind you can do. I have literally learned more about grinding free handing my last two knives than I have in the all of my previous 12-15 knives.

I was trying to step my game up and hollow grind a blade with some re-curve in it. Got it to the point it was ready for heat treat.

1.jpg

Needless to say I found out my abilities real quick when I tried to grind it to final shape. Well it no longer has a re-curve in the blade and is flat ground so I could save the blade and not chase errors till it was completely ruined. I'd recommend learning to freehand and start off with simple designs and gradually work your way up to more complicated ones. In the long run, I believe you be glad you did, however follow the path you feel you need to.

2.jpg

I would agree with learning to freehand grind. It ends up being more efficient in the long run but the learning curve is frustrating.
Having said that, if you google knife grinding jig there are tons of designs you could consider. Youtube will have many videos on what some guys have done. Without knowing exactly what equipment you have it'd be hard to make a meaningful recommendation. If you've got a 2 X 72 you can see what jig might work best with your set up.
If you don't have a 2 X 72 grinder it's going to be tough sledding no matter what jig you come up with. If you don't have a 2 X 72 yet look up Aaron Gough's file jig. It will only flat grind but is a simple yet effective way to start out. Angle grinders are good for rough cutting bar stock but not much else in my shop. Dremels aren't going to do much but help with the finishing details.

Well, for now for me works best hybrid grind :DFirst I calculate angle I need and I start with jig till I get around little more then half inch height of bevel from both side and continue free hand .That way is much is easier for me to LEARN grinding free hand .Much easier to follow angle established with jig . And I think that advice to practice on mild steel is not good at all .In mild steel grinding is fast and last short time , no room for correction if you made wrong move .I recommended hardened steel , old THICK file for example . Grinding is slow and you have to many time repeat same movements . . .. .

This 8mm thick file I grind that way ...
I will use jig whenever I can no matter what somebody thinks about it.For me it's like when you try to unscrew bolt ,instead of proper size wrench /which one you have near you / you use pliers ? Why ? And if someone of the beginners like me think it's easy with jig ...be my guest and show us your work;)
kiunEDv.jpg

n70ue7r.jpg

o7hLr1e.jpg

swT3tPU.jpg

Last edited:
I used a jig for about the 3rd to 6th knives I made. Since then its been freehand. I actually tried a jig recently for a liner lock blade (seeing if that would help with the issues of holding tiny things) and made a complete mess of it with the jig. Ended up stopping halfway through, and freehand grinding the rest of the way before I ruined the thing.

Freehand is more versatile, can do as good if not better of a job, and usually faster. The only downside is it takes a long time (a couple hundred knives) to really get good at it.

Thank you to all who responded, particularly Jesenius.
The link was very helpful and did address the question that I asked.
I intend using a jig to ensure I get the angle on each side the same.
I then expect to finish the grind freehand but, being a beginner, I want the result to be the best possible.
I don't have the time to spend "10,000" hours practicing, but still want a decent result.

Yes, it's funny but not helpfull. Some people just can't do that (at least on begining)...

To Hotopal: Try this link and make nice time yourself by watching YouTube. :)

This link.

I spent the time to make an exact copy of one of those. Used it for about 1 min, jacked up a knife and just sold it a week ago.

tried a jig some 15 years ago when i started gave up on it really quick i am now kind of thinking about a blade rest for a grind i have comming up but that grind is for 140 blades with 2 inch wheel grind so i think a rest/jig might be worth looking into. learnign sucks but once you get it the flexability is off the charts

Yes, there is the question. "What's your goal in knife making?"
Frank
I am old enough to say that way is different from person to person and no everyone is "born" for knifemaking. Perhaps He just want try something new, make just 1-2 knives or up to five and will ends seeing that is not for Him. I understand He want make these knives as nice as possible. And if He will decide to continue then comes time to learn "everything" about it. :-)

The question was directed to the original poster, but it sure was awful nice of you to try to answer for him.

Here’s an interesting point, and one that’s doesn’t necessarily cast one method or another in any particular light... the original poster asked specifically for a jig. Many of the posters expressed THEIR EXPERIENCES with jigs, and why perhaps the steep path to freehand grinding is what they elected to follow.

They are, in point of fact, answering his question. If he elects to ignore the amassed wealth of knowledge presented, free of charge, because he has a specific agenda, or a psychical disability, a different plan of attack, or he just lacks the strength of will, the endurance, or the attention span and passion for an art that many here have, he’s welcome to ignore them.

Those that share are also entitled to ask the original poster what his intentions are for the information which they may -or may not - decide to share with him, after hearing what those intentions are.

For those new to knife making, and considering jigs vs free-hand. It does not necessarily take 10,000 hours or 200 knives to get good.
I have approximately 40 knives under my belt from what I can figure, grinding part time for just under 3 years now.
Never used a jig, never even used a rest.
If you are willing to go slow, be a student and learn, you can pick it up reasonably quickly. There is definitely a progression of learning, and I learn something new about grinding on every new knife I make.
Heck, that's really the fun of it all. The hand made knives are just icing on the cake.
Whatever you do, enjoy it. :)

Back