Holsters.... again

I swear I do sheaths too! It just seems the time constraints I've had the last year keep me out of the shop for the most part, leaving me to do purely leather projects in what spare time I do manage.

Finished up a couple more pancakes for and XD9 Subcompact and an XDs45.
PnkhuhW.jpg

IyHbtX8.jpg

VCYItqF.jpg

I also made my first IWB pancake for my brother and his XDm40.
HPFbaOz.jpg

kmAhsL9.jpg

b1EBP2S.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Chris

Just darn nice work Chris. Nice and simple and executed well. I've said it before but its really true, you've really taken a realitively common idea (pancake holster or sheath), and really developed your own style with them. Nice.

Oooh yeah! Love holster threads!

I need to make one for my xds 40

Nice holsters! Leather work is one of those things where people try to show off the quality of an item by fancy tooling, styling, different designs/modding a design already there and talking about how much "better" it is now that they have done that. But work like this doesn't need that. I was looking at those holsters, and it's like watching a good cow horse. You don't have to brag about it for people to notice the high quality of work with simple elegance.

Thanks Fellas! I actually spent some time out in the shop the last couple days so hopefully I'll have knives and sheaths to post up in the coming weeks!

Chris

Nice holsters! Leather work is one of those things where people try to show off the quality of an item by fancy tooling, styling, different designs/modding a design already there and talking about how much "better" it is now that they have done that. But work like this doesn't need that. I was looking at those holsters, and it's like watching a good cow horse. You don't have to brag about it for people to notice the high quality of work with simple elegance.

Well, my friend, I'll have to take issue with your statement to a degree. Tooling , styling, design, inlays and other embellishments, don't mean a thing if the base quality is not there also. These things don't make the item "better" but in most cases if done tastefully they do may it look a hell of a lot better, and if you are a maker, they will command more money at sale.

Also having spent a number of years competing in the Cutting Horse arena, I can tell you first hand that a Championship grade cutting horse has undergone literally years of continued training and tuning, and it is an ongoing process which could be considered much like embellishment.

That's my story and I'm stick'n to it.

Paul

Well, my friend, I'll have to take issue with your statement to a degree. Tooling , styling, design, inlays and other embellishments, don't mean a thing if the base quality is not there also. These things don't make the item "better" but in most cases if done tastefully they do may it look a hell of a lot better, and if you are a maker, they will command more money at sale.

Also having spent a number of years competing in the Cutting Horse arena, I can tell you first hand that a Championship grade cutting horse has undergone literally years of continued training and tuning, and it is an ongoing process which could be considered much like embellishment.

That's my story and I'm stick'n to it.

Paul

You are right, and you are a master craftsmen while I am not. I've just seen so many things people try to push as high quality by having this and that, etc, when there stitching on the back looks like a bent hacksaw blade. I guess I'm trying to say that while tooling does look nice when done right, these holsters don't require it to show off his quality of work. I do like some nice floral and basket weave...

Few more finished up this week...
Sig p238
B9Hr0rh.jpg

q999bfK.jpg

S&W Shield
qdMaXWv.jpg

SUwzli9.jpg

Sig 229 and Glock 22
S5MW2fc.jpg

gaDKgNY.jpg

HNT7OrR.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Chris

Thanks Dave, and yes, these were all orders. It just takes me a bit to get a project finished. Work and life in general has been keeping me hopping. These used up the last of my 8-9oz and I'm getting ready to put in another leather order. Was it chap leather you use for the blood knot thongs on your knives?
I pray all is well with you and yours!
Chris

Nice looking. Looks like they are lined? What oz/type of leather are you using to line them?

Yeah Chris a firm oil tan makes good strings. Good deal on the orders. Was making some holsters yesterday myself. One is a real cool one for a Colt 1903. Doubt there is a bluegun for that one. Fortunatly my bud across the way has one.

Yes Amy, they are lined but only the back panel. My theory being it helps push the molding more out the front and gives a little more material between the firearm and your body. I'm using 8-9oz for the front and back panels with a 5-6oz lining on the back panel.

Chris

Last edited:
Yes Amy, they are lined but only the back panel. My theory being it helps push the molding more out the front and gives a little more material between the firearm and your body. I'm using 8-9oz for the front and back panels with a 5-6oz lining on the back panel.

Chris
Thanks! I would not have guessed 5-6 oz. for the lining. I bought some veg tan sheep skin to try....not sure how it will work out but it's more on the 2 oz size.

Back