Holstex vs Kydex

Earlier in the week I ordered some kydex and some other stuff to make holsters and sheaths. The order came in today, and it looks like they sent me holstex instead of kydex. I'm not overly familiar with kydex, but I don't recall ever seeing any with two markedly different textures from side to side. Is there any real difference between the two?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

in my experience, they are very similar in efficiency and how well it will work but from my experience kydex it more soft when heated. the kydex i use has a smooth side and a rough side but i don't know what the other stuff is like

I have made a couple sheaths from Holstex.IMO it is a little harder to work with.I heat it hotter than kydex and when heated it has more of a rubber feel.This makes it harder to get the item being molded in just the right spot to close the press on.
Here is the one I did for my Boss Jack,the fit came out great,seems the be not a hard on a finish as kydex.
SANY0039-1.jpg

SANY0035.jpg

Hey, Me too. Maybe there is a worldwide Kydex shortage?? I have no experience with either and so will have to give it a try someday next month. Soon as I use the search to get sone directions and scrounge up a press etc.

When the mold is formed holstex certainly doesnt seem as tough as kydex. After forming a mold recently and prior to laying the rivets, I typically wrap a butter knife with paper towl and run it through the sheath to get extra dust out (on tacos), do it all the time with kydex with no issue, did it once with holstex and it cracked. Wont be buying anymore.

When the mold is formed holstex certainly doesnt seem as tough as kydex. After forming a mold recently and prior to laying the rivets, I typically wrap a butter knife with paper towl and run it through the sheath to get extra dust out (on tacos), do it all the time with kydex with no issue, did it once with holstex and it cracked. Wont be buying anymore.

Yes, I had the clear crack on me that way !! It also cracked while drilling it as if I was applying too much pressure.
Now the factory is saying Holstex is only good for pancake style sheaths...

DSCF9372.jpg

DSCF9371.jpg

DSCF9369.jpg

DSCF9367.jpg

DSCF9364.jpg

DSCF9381.jpg

DSCF9380.jpg

DSCF9378.jpg

Earlier in the week I ordered some kydex and some other stuff to make holsters and sheaths. The order came in today, and it looks like they sent me holstex instead of kydex. I'm not overly familiar with kydex, but I don't recall ever seeing any with two markedly different textures from side to side. Is there any real difference between the two?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Did you order it from Knifekits? I think they include the Holstex brochure thing with the Kydex as a little shameless plug, trying to get you to try Holstex next time.

Al, Thats funny they only reco it for pancake when the ads show them taco'in it. Must of had a few complaints.

Back