Recommendation? Home safe

He is the Bad Ninja. He lives in a Ninja House.

Ninjas are quiet.
I'm not a good Ninja.
:p
I live a few miles from a paved road, on private land, with a 15 ft tall concrete basement as a first floor, with dogs, a fence, motion lights, and an alarm system.
This is all before you get to the door.

There is nothing here worth dying for.

Could it be breached? Of course it could. It's not a fortress.

Would I know? Yup.

Ninjas are quiet.
I'm not a good Ninja.
:p
I live a few miles from a paved road, on private land, with a 15 ft tall concrete basement as a first floor, with dogs, a fence, motion lights, and an alarm system.
This is all before you get to the door.

There is nothing here worth dying for.

Could it be breached? Of course it could. It's not a fortress.

Would I know? Yup.
Yeah Ok Robo

Yeah Ok Robo
Lol.
I live in rural GA, on a river bank.
The basement is because we live in a flood plane.
Family owns land, and everyone around here has houses built to ride out floods.
Security system gets me a discount on insurance and cost less than a custom bowie knife.
An advantage to living here, is it's almost impossible for a random burgler to get in our home without someone knowing they are coming.
I have safes to keep relatives kids from getting access to guns or using important paperwork as coloring books.
E3R8Kf3.jpg

Gun and consumer "safes" are actually classified as residential security containers, not actual safes. The best thing to do if you don't need space for long guns is get a used safe from a business (keep your eye on cl and other classified listings). Otherwise do your research, youtube has some good videos. The weak point on most gun safes is the welds (spot welds), thin sheet metal doors, and bolts on only one or 2 sides. Look for full seam welds, plate steel door and frame, and locking bolts on all 4 sides. Fire protection is a whole other thing...

Recently had a conversation about safes with a retired fireman. He basically said unless you buy a really high end gun safe and build an insulating enclosure for it, your paper documents aren't going to survive a good fire. Especially if, as most people do, you put it in the basement. When the burning house collapses, you've got a bed of burning coals that's very hot for a looong time.

For fire, basement is no good. First or second floor on an outer wall. Basement will also suffer water damage from the thousands of gallons the firefighters pump in there. It is good to build a gypsum board enclosure. Also, if large enough, paper docs can go in one of those handcarry fire safes and then in the large safe.

Follow up: looking for a good brand of TL-15 rated (min) safes. Not interested in fire safes or gun safes (unless they are TL-15 rated I suppose).

Back