Homebrew Etching Electrolyte

Huntsman Knife Co.

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I use the personalizer plus for my logos and just ran out of electrolyte. I've been using the stuff from knife kits and it works well it comes in a tiny bottle that I burn through quickly.

Does anyone have a good homebrew recipe for electrolyte solution? Or in the alternative, a good supplier that I can purchase a larger volume of electrolyte from?

I've experimented with varying levels of table salt and vinegar. All of the solutions etch well but mark/ blacken poorly.

Any advice is welcome.

You don't needed a saturated salt solution, a teaspoon in a cup of water will work. The more salt the hier the current and usually the rougher the etch. Practice on a piece of scrap until you get the etch and mark times worked out for the steel you are using.
Here is a link to Etch-O-Matic. They sell etching systems , electrolytes and stencil material.
http://www.etch-o-matic.com/price_sheets/electrolyte.php
Hope this helps.
Jim A.

Baking soda works really well as well. I use to use salt and switched to baking soda becaus the salt was not working so well and some times it was staining/rusting the surrounding area.

I have tried several etching solutions over the years and I am most happy with an etchant called #94 sold by IMG in New York in a 32 oz. plastic bottle with a handy squirt lid. One bottle has lasted me for more than 6 years and will probably last another 6. I use TUS stencils and also Marking Methods "green" stencils and both are good. I etch stainless steel with my #94 etchant. It lasts so long that I will call it "cheap" at the price. Just my opinion. Larry P.S. I have not tried the TUS etchant but if Matthew Gregory says it works great then you should check it out. The price seems a little better also. LL

mGD6C5dm.jpg

Last edited:
I've been using a table spoon of salt in a cup of warm water for years. I've been thinking of switching over and trying baking soda as well. I also have a couple bottles of expired "pedialite" which is an electrolyte drink for kids. Kind of wondering how it would work too. ;)

I have used Ernie's recipe and have had good results. There are a few ingredients to collect which is a slight hassle but the bottle I made 2 years ago is just now running out.
I haven't used anything else so I can't say it's better than commercial products or other home brew solutions.

Thanks so much for all the replies and great info.

I tried a straight salt water mix last night and got OK results but still not as good as I have in the past with purchased electrolyte.

I may have to crack and just buy a large bottle of solution. There's nothing worse than spending 8+ hours on a knife only to have it be ruined by a imperfect logo. No comment on how many times I've done that o_O If nothing else it can help reduce one element of uncertainty in the process. There are so many things that can and do go wrong in etching....dirty stencil, dirty blade, worn stencil, oxidation buildup on the marker pad, too much voltage, etc... it might give me some piece of mind to know at least the electrolyte is not the issue when things go wrong.

Thanks so much for all the replies and great info.

I tried a straight salt water mix last night and got OK results but still not as good as I have in the past with purchased electrolyte.

I may have to crack and just buy a large bottle of solution. There's nothing worse than spending 8+ hours on a knife only to have it be ruined by a imperfect logo. No comment on how many times I've done that o_O If nothing else it can help reduce one element of uncertainty in the process. There are so many things that can and do go wrong in etching....dirty stencil, dirty blade, worn stencil, oxidation buildup on the marker pad, too much voltage, etc... it might give me some piece of mind to know at least the electrolyte is not the issue when things go wrong.

And that right there is why I buy an etchant from a professional company and use a professional etching machine. Working so hard on a knife and at the end of the process having a fuzzy or partial mark for my logo ruins all the work I have done to make something to be proud of. I don't take chances on my mark...it is too important to me. Larry

xvD1WEjm.jpg

I use the personalizer plus for my logos and just ran out of electrolyte. I've been using the stuff from knife kits and it works well it comes in a tiny bottle that I burn through quickly.

Does anyone have a good homebrew recipe for electrolyte solution? Or in the alternative, a good supplier that I can purchase a larger volume of electrolyte from?

I've experimented with varying levels of table salt and vinegar. All of the solutions etch well but mark/ blacken poorly.

Any advice is welcome.

I've had good results with apple cider vinegar and salt. (12 oz/1tbsp I think)

I'm using a homemade etcher, and getting 12 volts DC, and nearly 18 volts AC (doorbell transformer).

I run 20 cycles of 3 seconds with 5 seconds cooling in between to etch (I blow on it as well to avoid overheating), and then to mark, about 5 cycles of of AC for 3-4 seconds. The marking tends to overheat, so I have to be careful not to destroy my stencil. I get good depth, and excellent marking.

I also make my own stencils with material and developer from Martronics (Etch-O-Matic makers). I don't bother with a light box, but make sure that the room is VERY dark, and I hold the LED UV light about 3 1/2 feet away for 2 minutes to avoid overexposing the stencil.

And that right there is why I buy an etchant from a professional company and use a professional etching machine. Working so hard on a knife and at the end of the process having a fuzzy or partial mark for my logo ruins all the work I have done to make something to be proud of. I don't take chances on my mark...it is too important to me. Larry

xvD1WEjm.jpg
What is your setup specifically?

Back