Honor Before All Else Except Loyalty

Could Mick and Duane, or someone else, please explain to me the notion "Honor before all else except loyalty"? In particular, I'd like to understand 1) how you are using the words "honor" and "loyalty", and 2) why loyalty gets equal or higher priority as honor.

I'm interpreting "honor" to mean behaving honorably, being an honorable person--keeping your word, being honest, being just and fair, doing your best, etc.

I'm interpreting loyalty to mean defending the side of a person or other entity or cause unconditionally--in a manner that doesn't take new input into consideration.

With the way I'm using the words, it seems very strange to me to give loyalty equal value to, or greater value than, honor.

For example, suppose that I was a policeman, and that I had a partner for many years--a partner who had saved my life, who was a close friend, etc. Then suppose that my partner became corrupt, took bribes, recklessly and brutally beat suspects, stopped people and shook them down for cash and valuables, etc. Suppose that my partner expected me to remain silent, look the other way, or perjure myself to protect him. Would I place loyalty equal to honor? No. As far as I'm concerned, he would have squandered the privelege of my good graces when he behaved corruptly.

Am I correctly interpreting the way you guys are using the words "honor" and "loyalty"? If I am, then I am clueless to understand the thinking behind giving loyalty equal priority to honor; and I'd appreciate if you could lay it out for me as plainly as possible. If I'm interpreting the words differently than you meant, please correct me and tell me what you meant.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Mike Spinak

I think what "honour before all else except loyalty" means is that loyalty to a group/individual/doctrine goes before personal honour.

Zach, you may be right. I got the quote from this post, and from the ensuing discussion:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1815947#post1815947

So, I got the quote second-hand, and the source quote may have misquoted the original version.

Can anyone clear up which way the quote is supposed to be?

---------------------------------------------------

AlphalphaPB:

Your explanation makes sense in regard to loyalty deserving equal or better ranking compared to personal honor. However, if personal honor is what is meant, and meant in a way that is specific and separate from honorable behavior as I interpreted above, then I assume it's just referring to receipt of praise and attainment of prestige. In that case, the quote still doesn't make much sense to me. Why then should this kind of personal honor rank anywhere near second highest priority?

Honor = Integrity...Loyalty would be past that I would think?

G2

Gary,

Are you using the word "past" to mean behind, i.e., secondary to, or are you using "past" to mean beyond, i.e. primary to?

Are you saying honor (integrity) comes first, as I would rank things, or are you saying loyalty comes first?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The way that I am carefully parsing and interpreting everyone's words is starting to seem comical. Please forgive me, I'm just trying to keep individual usages of terms clearly understood in order to facilitate the discussion.

Originally posted by Evolute
Gary,

Are you using the word "past" to mean behind, i.e., secondary to, or are you using "past" to mean beyond, i.e. primary to?

Are you saying honor (integrity) comes first, as I would rank things, or are you saying loyalty comes first?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The way that I am carefully parsing and interpreting everyone's words is starting to seem comical. Please forgive me, I'm just trying to keep individual usages of terms clearly understood in order to facilitate the discussion.

I weigh Honor and Integrity highest of all else, as you mentioned before Loyalty can be misleading but if you deem Honor and Integrity in your life, no one can fault you in what ever you do...but that is my strong feeling...I don't speak for the Strider clan on this...

And I can see why you are pressing to get a clear concise answer as it does matter!

G2

I was pretty heated up at the time I wrote the quote. I thought the Strider Forum here was in jeapordy over $5.00 and a pricing issue between 1SKS and Strider Knives Inc. But all is well in the forum and now I must correct my mis-quote

The original quote on the Strider Knives web-site way back in 1999 was

<B>"Loyalty above all else except HONOR"</B>

Sorry for the mix up on the quote!
It does make better sense honor above all else of course. Sort of like leaving off the STRIDER stamps on a knife :)

Yup.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
First heard this quote in that Bruce Willis movie "Striking Distance."
Peter

I first read this quote on the STRIDER Knives web-site back in 1998 It had a picture of a "board meeting" and it was two guys rapeling in gear down a wall! Very cool. The old STRIDER web-site was cool. The new one is glossy sort of, but equally cool.

Honor-Courage-Comitment !!!!!!

Corp-UP and Hooraaa , there is no other way . It is self explanatory if ya been there . Our faithful mascot was retired recently after 7yrs. of service , that's 49 in dog years .I know it is off topic but it just seem to fit .

"Honor before all else except loyalty"

Although quoted backwards, this can be interpreted much the same way if all are following this primise. ie: a partner with HONOR would not do the things you suggested... Just a thought.

Back