Hoof knife

I’m looking to make a hoof knife. After reading a post by Horsewright I’m thinking of using 1/8” AEBL. I’m not real sure on the process. I’m assuming I would profile it, grind the bevel( single bevel?), heat and curve the blade, bend the hook on the end, heat treat, and then finish it out somehow . I know I’ve skipped a lot of steps and will have to figure a good bit out as I go but would appreciate any tips or insights. Thanks.

It is pretty easy to make a hoof knife. It is pretty hard to make a good hoof knife.

Look at several commercial knives and decide what your final product will be. Then work toward that goal. Things like inside bevel or outside bevel, amount of hook, curvature of the main edge, etc. all have to be pre-planned. Once you have that down, start with steel.

Personally, I like a carbon steel for making a hoof knife. Haven't made one in a while, but the ability to do specific thermal cycles and re-do a HT if needed isn't available with AEB-L or stainless steels. 1095 and W2 are good choices.

Back