Hook use on SAK

True enough, I tried replacing the hook with a corkscrew but it didn't give the correct tension, the scissors went all mushy. Hmmm, I wonder how hard it would be to file the hook down into a thin marlinspike? I'd wanted a corkscrew because it's great for opening knots but a marlinspike is better. Would need some careful work of course to round out the shaft of the hook, it's pretty thin to start with.

It wouldn't be all that hard to do. The steel is pretty soft for a modern knife. I don't recall ever trying it with a file, but a belt sander has no problem altering SAK tools.

Turns out the hook is just the thing to yank out the oil seal around the shifter shaft on an old BMW motorcycle:)
Quy8OfO.jpg

Interesting to read all these uses, I've never used the hook on mine for anything.

Interesting to read all these uses, I've never used the hook on mine for anything.
Neither had I. I was thinking about trying to make something that would be stiff enough and have a hook....a hook! I have a knife with a hook...

Honestly who really thought to ad a hook so you could carry packages that have string around them? Only us actual knife owners
Have honest creative uses for it but if it was gone tomorrow i really wouldn’t miss it at all.
DN

I use the space under the hook to store a sewing needle with 12' of thread wrapped around it. My hiking/outdoors SAKs are outfitted this way.

The hook on the Compact has a nail file built onto one side of it. Victorinox, if you're listening, all of the hooks should be made this way.

Its been a while since this thread has been updated so I figured Ill share my latest hook use. I had some old aluminum "GI" AR mags I needed to do maintenance on and discovered that the hook can be used to disassemble them. The hook fits perfectly into the hole in the base plate and provides perfect leverage to release the detents from the mag body. Its actually easier than using a punch, which is the way I have always done it.

I use the closed hook on this old model Compact I bought used to secure a split ring for lanyards/swivel clips. This particular model has no attached lanyard ring. No nail file on the hook either.

hsjNNC1.jpg

First and foremost this is not my idea, I read it somewhere on here but unfortunately I can’t recall the member’s screen name...but I have used the hook to clean the bottom of my boots a couple different times after my weekly trip to the farm.

Back