Hope for New Yorkers?

I want to express my sincere appreciation for everything AKTI has done to date on behalf of New Yorkers.

I have recently joined AKTI and donated the money I was saving for my next knife in the hopes that AKTI can lead the effort for legislative reform regarding New York's gravity knife statute.

As written, the statute currently criminalizes the possession of any locking folding knife that can be opened by the application of centrifugal force.

As some of you well know, there are various, specialized techniques to perform this manner of opening a knife that can be applied to virtually every folder on the market. Some police officers know these techniques and use them to demonstrate that a given knife is a "gravity knife" under the statute.

Most New Yorkers and tourists are unaware of the serious criminal penalties they face by possessing a common folding knife in this state, even if they themselves lack the knowledge or intent to open the knife is this manner.

I am hopeful that readers of this forum and the AKTI can awaken New Yorkers and all good faith knife users to the serious need for statutory reform, and I hope Albany will listen.

As a former law enforcement officer, I of course support the efforts of our police to target dangerous criminals. Laws, however, need to be carefully tailored to address wrongdoers and protect the innocent. The gravity knife statute, as written, is far too big a net to cast over the citizens and visitors of New York.

Sincerely,
Seth DuCharme

AKTI is our best hope for fighting legislation that creates criminals from the ranks of honest citizens. Too Bad you could not have heard the presentation that Evan Napen and Dave Kowlaski presented at the Blade Show seminar. They put on an extremely informative discussion.

Thanks for Joining AKTI

I'm new here been a long time collector of knives. I live just 25 mins north of NYC . I own several different Benchmade Axis lock knives. This being said are axis lock knives considered a gravity knife and are illegal to carry in NYC ?Sorry for the stupid question.

Thanks HK

Henry-Krinkle said:
I'm new here been a long time collector of knives. I live just 25 mins north of NYC . I own several different Benchmade Axis lock knives. This being said are axis lock knives considered a gravity knife and are illegal to carry in NYC ?Sorry for the stupid question.

Thanks HK

I cannot answer your question. I can say, however, that I carry axis locks in NYC - but first I tighten the pivot screw so much that I can't flip the blade open even when the axis bar is depressed. (I would also recommend checking every few days to verify that it hasn't loosened up too much.)

Unfortunately, this makes some of the slickest, smoothest opening knives into knives that are require alot of force to open.

Regards,
bls

The short answer is, yes, axis locks and most other types of folding locking knives may be considered illegal gravity knives under the New York State Penal law.

The NYPD frequently makes arrests based on their interpretation of the statute. Moreover, carrying a knife visible to public view is a violation of the city administrative code, so an axis lock clipped in your pocket is an invitation to central booking in NYC.

That said, I see people walking around NYC with them every day, and obviously not all of them are arrested. The problem is, it's entirely up to the discretion of the police whether to "pluck you off the street like a ripe apple" as one of my friends on the NYPD describes it.

Sorry for the grim news. Statutory reform or maybe an enforcement dirrective in the Patrol Guide are what we desperately need.

Seth

You hit right on target. The individual police officer has the greatest level of discretionary power in the entire criminal justice system. This is both good and bad as are the individual officers.

Evan Napen and his brother Evan wrote a book, "The Declaration". It is excellent reading for all. Statutory reform is the leader when it comes to freedom. Malum Prohibitum offences set the table for abuse of discretion, they also lead us to stray.

Another great book is titled "Bad Trip" by Miller. Both good books and plenty of food for thought for those who would like to see the fruits of freedom returned to America.

Back