• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Hope Simon will do the right thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.A.DAVISON

Slip Joint Knife Maker
It's sad that I must make a post here, but I'm trying to be taken advantage of by a forum member - simonxm.

On 5/27/2015 I put a knife up for sale - see photo and links below.

1232AAA.jpg

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1292959-Classic-Gentleman-Folder?highlight=1232

simonxm - says he would take it - and sends me paypal.

He had me send the knife to a USA address ( He lives in China I think)
And when the knife was sent back, it came from a different USA address.

After receiving the knife, he says it is scratched. And what can be done about it. ( The scratches he was talking about was not this deep gouge.)
First I told him I would give him three hundred dollars back.
Second I said I would give him another Mammoth Ivory knife - value $800.00 for free, he could keep both knives.
He did not want this, so he sends the knife back to me.
When I get the knife back, it has a deep cut going across the shield and scales. Kind of hard to see on the scales but it is there.
This has ruined the knife were it can NOT be repaired, it is too deep.
There are other problems with the knife also that are there. Like a flat spot towards the tip of blade were someone looks like they rubbed it on something hard.
And the pivot pin is showing some.

When he received the knife, there was nothing said about damage to the package shipped. ( which could of been taken care of by shipping insurance)
And when he shipped the knife back there was no damage to the package. And I don't think he insured it.

He still wants me to give his money back. :confused:

All I need from him is an address were to send the knife back to him at.

1232SX.jpg

1232SXa.jpg

1232SXb.jpg

I've sold knives on this forum going on ten years now.
And have had a few problems come up that I had to take care of, but nothing like this.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that someone is trying to take you for a ride! I guess after 1000+ knives it was bound to happen. Good luck!

Looks like someone took a razor too it. maybe too over zealous with an exacto knife while opening? I know I get a little too excited when i get a new blade in...

Why offer him money back and another knife of the same value to keep this one?

That looks like he put it in his pocket with something else, like car keys. What a shame.

Why offer him money back and another knife of the same value to keep this one?

When he contacted me first he said there were light scratches on the mammoth.
So I was trying to make him happy, but when I got the knife back like this, it was ruined beyond repair.

That looks like he put it in his pocket with something else, like car keys. What a shame.

This is too deep, someone did this on purpose it looks like.

If this ends up with PayPal, I bet he gets his money back.

Sending the knife anywhere but a confirmed PayPal address of the buyer leaves you open to scammers. By him sending it back from yet another address, I wonder if he didn't shop it around and it was damaged by some other potential buyer.

Refunding him his money might end up the cheapest way to go. You should contact PayPal and discuss this with them.

Did you notify him about this thread yet? We should get his story.

Todd,

It isn't ruined, to my eye.....

1. It can be engraved to where the scratch becomes invisible(I think)

2. You can sell it as a "second" if you don't want to get it engraved, someone will buy it, and send what you make on the sale back to the customer as his refund.

Can this situation not be turned from lemons to lemonade?

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

You are a good man Todd-

I couldn't imagine a situation that is so bad that you would refund $300.00 PLUS another one of your beautiful knives and NOT be taken up on the offer by anyone with half a brain..

Personally, I think Esav is right. PP doesn't really have a history of siding with the seller..Especially if they have the out as described by Esav.

2 lessons I am getting from your experience.

1) ship to paypal verified addresses only. Only exception is if another form of payment is used. Sorry!
2) this member will go on my own ignore list and I suspect that of many, many others.

Small consolation in your situation Todd..I hope to one day have one of your fine knives :)

If this ends up with PayPal, I bet he gets his money back.

Sending the knife anywhere but a confirmed PayPal address of the buyer leaves you open to scammers. By him sending it back from yet another address, I wonder if he didn't shop it around and it was damaged by some other potential buyer.

Refunding him his money might end up the cheapest way to go. You should contact PayPal and discuss this with them.

Did you notify him about this thread yet? We should get his story.

I've told him about this thread.

Todd,

It isn't ruined, to my eye.....

1. It can be engraved to where the scratch becomes invisible(I think)

2. You can sell it as a "second" if you don't want to get it engraved, someone will buy it, and send what you make on the sale back to the customer as his refund.

Can this situation not be turned from lemons to lemonade?

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I've had a guy already ask about buying the knife.

Maybe simonxm can sell it to him? I'll put them in touch with each other if he wants to go that way.

Sorry to hear of your troubles Todd,in this transaction.
I know you would never send anything out if it were not as perfect as you could make it, and from the examples of your knives I have seen ,that's as good as it gets,in my book. I hope you can get it squared away without getting hurt on it too bad.

this member will go on my own ignore list and I suspect that of many, many others.
MY IGNORE LIST--has grown a great deal over just the last 3 months
AMAZING..........
Sorry you are going thru this Sir

Last edited:
Are you sure its the knife you originally sent him? If you have made similar knives it may be a bait and switch.

This might seem like another case of buyer's remorse. That knife would absolutely not have left Todd's shop in that condition. There is a bit of deception at work here on the part of the buyer. No one, and I mean no one I have ever seen offers a $300 refund on an item, plus another similar custom item. That sets a precedence for extreme customer service. I am glad the buyer refused actuall, as they may be somewhat undeserving of such generosity. I'd say refund and limit sales to those in the Western hemisphere, and create a return policy for international shipping. Also, look into taking alternate forms of layment. Paypal is good, but businessmen need to protect themselves.

Just a thought.... If you do talk with PayPal, be sure to show them the before and and after pictures if possible. It might persuade them to rule in your favor - which they should be doing anyway. The best of luck with this one. Unscrupulous people definitely cause my stomach to turn. Mike

Todd.

My humble advice to you would be to refund the money and move on.

PP is not really very good at anything other than protecting the buyer, especially since you already have the knife in your possession.

Sadly this is sometimes the unfortunate cost of business, however there are some ways you can protect yourself if you feel the need. (If you think that this may occur more often)

Accept PP from members you know or trust. (Use other forms of payment for anyone else)

Ship to 'verified' addresses only.

Do not ship to anywhere or anyone you don't feel comfortable in dealing with.

I hope this helps a little, and I am sorry that you had to go through this.
You and your work are second to none....

Wow! That's disgusting! Too bad you have to deal with something like this - good luck.

It is people like this, that unfortunately are sometimes in a position to teach children morality. What a chump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back