1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

Hope Simon will do the right thing?

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by T.A.DAVISON, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simonxm

simonxm Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 3, 2014
    I never buy a knife from Todd. As I said in my email conversation. I expected it to be next to perfect if it is not.

You will find in the email that I do not worry about the scratches myself. but only bit of concern of the gap there on the back. I know that it might be the case of Hopshopgo repack service may open it and handled it. But it's not the reason that confronting here?

it's just unfair to say I'm unreasonable. Also unreasonable being posted with my account in caption saying I'm Scammer? You are mod of the forum. Do you think it's proper to name somebody scammer before knowing all the details??

As I asked Todd politely is that the case that normally happen on the back. I did not want to send it back. Only want to know the details. The scratch on the shield not sure about that. The customs may opened it to check with some sort of sharp things.

But I just can not accept this unfair accusation.

2. simonxm

Oct 3, 2014
    Thanks Cory for your comments.

I knew that Todd will ship worldwide. That's why I did not specify really. But as you can see in my email conversation. I does not worry about the scratches even the one on the shield now. But I only worried about the gap on the back.

And I'm shock and extremely unhappy to the personal accusation here by Todd.

3. wolfmann601

wolfmann601 Gone, but not forgotton. RIP Ira.

Mar 12, 2001
    That DID NOT and DOES NOT answer REv's question!!!

How did the damage occur, the scratches and the flattened tip? So quick to demand an apology and so slow to answer the key questions. Todd DID NOT ship you a knife with gouges and tip damage, how did that happen? And a complaint about the way the knife was built without giving the Maker a chance to correct is a BS complaint and you know it

4. simonxm

Oct 3, 2014
    You did not check the email conversation. I do not know why there were scratches near the shield and do not know why there are so deep scratch on the shield now. I only knew this scratch on shield today. I asked Todd but no photos no reply and no explaination.

Please read the email conversation link on my previous reply between Todd and me.

I did not want to end like this.

5. JR88FAN

JR88FAN

May 5, 2013
    I am not sure why you're looking for an appology?!

I made not judgement call on you in this thread, I simply gave Todd some options for how to conduct his business going forward.

I have no idea how and when the issues occured with the knife, however I am sure it did not leave Todd's shop like that.

Does this forwarding company re-package your items? Maybe to group together shipments?
    Was it opened by customs on it's way to you?

These are a few places where the knife may have been handled before it got to you.

6. T.A.DAVISON

T.A.DAVISON Slip Joint Knife Maker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 24, 2005
    Simon,

I've tried to make you happy. You wanted your money back before I got the knife back, you said you needed it urgently!
    My policy for a refund is to get the knife back in the same condition it was shipped in - this knife is NOT how I shipped it.
    The only thing I need from you is an address from you where to send your knife back to.
    I will NOT apologize to you, I'm a little pissed off for getting my knife back this way and having to deal with guys like you.
    Conversation over- - I'm done.

7. braillediver

braillediver Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Good Luck with this Todd. Nothing but praise and respect for you and your work.

8. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    PayPal and Ebay uses a service to ship things overseas.

They do open the package and inspect it for damage and will contact seller if there is any damage.

I sold Fly Fishing reels on Ebay and knew this is what the service will do. So I took pictures of me boxing the items with a letter stating the items are in the exact state as described in the ad with pictures documenting condition.

It is possible the knife was damaged by this service.

9. Gastonknife

Gastonknife Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Giving seller and buyer the benefit of the doubt, it sounds like it's quite possible the service may have damaged the knife. Then they did not do anything but put it in another box and send it out to the buyer. The buyer gets it; not happy - language barrier - to an extent. Buyer thinks he got inferior product, maker thinks he is getting screwed, language barrier makes situation worse - and here we are.
    I really do not know how PayPal would handle this one. It seems that maker can reasonable show knife was pristine when sent, but when buyer got it - it has issues. Is the service part of PP or just a third party?

10. snippy

snippy

Apr 1, 2014
    This is a darn shame, and my feeling is that the hopshogo or customs may have a part in this? We all know that Todd does not screw around. At all.

For the buyer, you need to find out what happened to clear your name. It was your service, or customs (that is also your fault because you never mentioned that the package would go through this) and take the burden to show that to Todd.

Eric

11. GIZMOMAN

GIZMOMAN Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series Champions Platinum Member

Mar 12, 2003
    :thumbup:Todd has an outstanding reputation for his talents and his customer service.:thumbup:
    I am feeling by reading this.. There maybe other reasons that those scratches got there..PERHAPS.
    Or it is buyers remorse and it happened by the buyer and he/she are trying to lay blame..
    NOT sure..Not relevant..
    Not accusing anyone..
    The bottom line..
    There is a scratch ..Todd is willing too work with you. (well he was)
    Your attitude has made this issue much harder..
    Publically in here and perhaps privately in emails to Todd.
    Some things in here as of lately..SIMPLY amaze me.............................

Apology---PISH POSH---Quite a demand--------For a person that is non cooperative and accusatory..

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  12. Brisket

Brisket

Aug 2, 2009
    Todd, I would still make a claim on the shipping insurance as the buyer is maintaining that it arrived damaged to him. Let them investigate and determine if the damage occurred during the original shipment. I think it is likely that it did not occur then but you are not out anything by making a claim. If they determine it occurred during the original shipment then you will collect on the damages and if their determination is that it happened after delivery then that can be used to support your position in a PayPal resolution.

13. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    The conversation for me is showing up in a single file line and makes it impossible to read but I did read this:

From Simonxm:

"Hi Todd, The knife looks really nice and I like it but there is one place I don't like is there is a hairline between the back spring and liners near the blade. Please check attached photo thanks. This is the only imperfection on this knife but had really hoped it was perfect. Is this kind of normal on your knives? It's the first time I bought your knife. Please kindly let me know, thanks. Simon"

Simon then sends:

"Sorry Todd, but just found out there is some slight scratches on the mammoth, not a single scratch on the shield. I can accept this, not a big deal. But only the hairline on the back can you explain? Thanks.

Todd says:

"Sorry your not happy with your knife, I really do the best I can on every knife, what can I do? I want you to be happy, Todd."

Simon then goes on to explain how he's not happy with the fit and finish after reading all of the reviews on Todd's knives and how he expected more for his $800. He also says that if the knife was only $500 he wouldn't care about the slight gap and small scratches on the mammoth.

From here on out it snowballs.

Simon, if you received the knife from Todd with only a slight gap in one small spot around the spring and maybe a few small scratches on the mammoth, how did the knife end up like it did!? Using third party shippers? Maybe. Customs opening the package? Maybe. You being upset that Todd couldn't make it right, because the only way to fix a gap like that is to make a new knife? Maybe. Which by the way, Todd did offer to do! Plus giving you back the $300 since you flat out said that it wasn't $800 quality, it was only $500 to you.

If you follow Todd's knives, you know what they cost. Basic materials, cost $425-$525. Ivory (elephant and mammoth) raise that price. Steel used, raises the price also as these things cost more!

Todd did right by offering you what he did. You even said yourself that the knife was delivered to you without the huge gouges in it. You sent it back to Todd, without insuring it, and these gouges appeared. THIS IS ON YOU, NOT TODD!

14. GIZMOMAN

GIZMOMAN Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series Champions Platinum Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Agreed---Todd did his part----

15. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Furthermore...and maybe I'm missing something, but if you told Todd to ship it to a specific USA address, which he did, why is Todd responsible for the knife making it to Hong Kong?

If I bought something from you Simon, but I asked that your neighbor ship it to the USA for me, if that product showed up damaged, how would you respond if I blamed you for the damage???? You'd say that the product wasn't damaged when you dropped it off at your neighbor's house correct??

To me, the entire bottom line of this whole ordeal is that Simonxm had buyers remorse. This is the reason he demanded a refund immediately.

16. wolfmann601

wolfmann601 Gone, but not forgotton. RIP Ira.

Mar 12, 2001
    What is sad is that by perpetuating this against a maker the caliber of Todd not even an apology by the Pope will fix his (the OP) name on BFC.

Explain how the damage got on the knife, admit Todd did NOT ship the knife that way and get off your high horse and maybe, just maybe this issue............................................nah

17. N.E.Tim

N.E.Tim Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 3, 2012
    I have bought a few knives from Todd and NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS.

This one seems to have at least THREE.
    # 1 - A hairline between the backsprings and liner near the blade ???
    # 2 - Slight scratches on the mammoth ivory that You DID NOT notice until after You e-mailed Todd about the hairline.
    You made it a point to write " not a single scratch on the shield "
    # 3 - A deep cut on the shield and continuing into the mammoth ivory.

These chain of events happening at different times to one knife seems very odd to me and possibly a few others on this forum.

Todd,
    You have my respect in how You have handled this.
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

18. PURPLEDC

PURPLEDC

Apr 4, 2007
    I think this possibly could have happened at the distribution center. When there is a third party shipping involved like this was they inspect it before it leaves the country to confirm what was sent and its condition. If that item is returned they will inpect it again if you use that service to process the return. And if the item had to clear customs to or from they could have inspected it and done the damage. Problem is rarely will insurance cover damages once it leaves the country. And there is no way to prove where the damage occured and by who.

Either way todd offering up a second knife with the option to keep the damaged one was above and beyond and should have been accepted. The way this played out looks like buyer remorse of some kind whether a better deal or different knife. Especially given the buyers desire to repossess his funds quickly.

19. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    2 of Todds knives for $500?

and you said no?

Something is very wrong and it is not with Todd.

20. Rappy

Rappy

Aug 2, 2014
    I think the damage occurred during transport, they do kick and drop packages regularly.
    happens all the time while shipping with airplanes, i received knives with dings by amazon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.