Recommendation? Hori-Hori Gardening Tool/Knife....

Hello Knife-Knuts, I don't post very often because I'm lousy with the search functions. I have seen other members seem upset because they didn't search properly before posting. I tried the search functions and found nothing on the subject (go easy on me technology and I aren't good friends.
A buddy of mine recently hired me to help him with landscaping, gardening and best of all sharpening his tools. I imagine most of us enjoy doing that for free!
I have been EDCing a Cold Steel Finn Bear. It's light, I'm ok with the steel, and cheap. I am considering buying this Hori-Hori gardening knife. Is anybody out there familiar with the tool/knife? It's listed only as "420" steel. I imagine it is 420A but I cant confirm? Is a leather sheath a bad option? Alot of moisture gets kicked up weed whacking and sweat. I held my uncle's one (it may have been a different brand) but him and I aren't on good terms. It's not worth it to me to ask him. Plus he buys tools and hires someone else to actually work. Sorry this is so long!
Here's a link https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016...40_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=hori+hori+knife&psc=1

Not familiar with it, but given the price tag and intended use, I'd guess 420J2. Very rust resistant but probably won't hold an edge very well (hence the serrations on one side). It looks like it could be useful, but it's kinda pricey for a glorified trowel.

I bought something similar from Ross for $5, and I think they sell another version from Home Depot or other hardware stores for around $15 last I checked.

That tool sucks. It is not a knife. It is a trowel with badly cut serrations on the side. If you want to help your friend's landscaping business, time is money, and there are much better tools for any job you can envision this being used for. It's basically a glorified weed puller (and there are more efficient tools for that too). The serrations on the side do not work well for cutting tree or bush roots either, and again, there are much better tools for that job too.

Just my 2 cents. My friend's family is also in the landscaping and snow removal business.

Edit: If you have a very small garden and don't want to purchase a slew of better tools for tiny jobs, this tool will work... But it doesn't sound like that is the case.

This tool is a jack of all trades... master of none tool. Mine is with me whenever I'm gardening. I consider it a better digger than cutter. I wouldn't want to garden without it. I also carry a Vic Harvester in my pocket!

oe

Hori hori is a very useful tool in a lot of landscaping scenarios. If you are mowing & blowing, you can probably leave it in the truck. if you are planting, weeding, doing fine tuning maintenance, it is useful a lot of the time. Less as a knife than as a digging/weeding/crude cutting (bags of soil, etc) implement. That said, good quality hand pruners would be my first priority if I were beginning to pick up tools.
Good luck.

Hori hori is a very useful tool in a lot of landscaping scenarios. If you are mowing & blowing, you can probably leave it in the truck. if you are planting, weeding, doing fine tuning maintenance, it is useful a lot of the time. Less as a knife than as a digging/weeding/crude cutting (bags of soil, etc) implement. That said, good quality hand pruners would be my first priority if I were beginning to pick up tools.
Good luck.
hori- fic tool
nowdays people are more into
"ergonomics" save your back and bend as little as possible,
therefore unless you like pain, please get a long handle----- just trying to help.

Back