Horizontal knife carry

I ordered a custom sheath for my F1 a few days ago and I requested it my made for a horizontal carry. Does anyone else carry their F1 or their bushcraft knife in this way? What are some opinions on it?

do you have troubles finding the sheath with the knife if it is on your belt on your backside?

Post some pics of your horizontal carry sheath if you have them.

Thanks
-Otto

I'm not a big fan, I find it hard to replace the knife into the sheath when its on your back and you cant keep tabs on your knife as easily as you cant see or feel it without making a conscious effort to do so, and I like to always be aware of my knife.

I first carried a knife in this manner when I bought a WSK..I still think that it is the best way to carry a mid sized blade. I prefer horizontal crossdraw when using a small blade...I wear the blade on my left hip, horizontally, and draw with my right hand. I think that it is a great method, as you can sit or crouch with little to no interference. Gene

Hey Guys..

Otto...

first of all..

What kind of sheath is it ??
not all sheaths are created equal..

Theres no problem carrying the FI in the horizontal position as long as the sheath is capable of doing so..

The best place I have found to carry a knife in this position is right up front over the beck buckle...

It is easily gotten at and replaced...

ttyle

Eric
O/ST

I will often wear some of my shorter knives in the horizontal position on the side. However, I really don't care to wear a knife behind my back.

The photo shows one style of horizontal sheath that I make, and prefer to wear myself. I also made one of these for my own F-1 since it is shorter. One does not have to remove his belt to install/remove one of these sheaths. Since the sheath is one piece of leather, it is a real pain to make.

I noticed that Normark also posted here. He doesn't know it, but I own several of his excellent kydex sheaths and highly recommend his work. His prices are better than mine, too. :thumbup: :)
dannyhenson9dt.jpg

mikestewart1ll1.jpg

p.s. I was assuming you meant for it to be mounted on your back. If you can carry it horizontally in front or on the side I see no problem, assuming you can get comfortable wearing it like that.

p.s. I was assuming you meant for it to be mounted on your back. If you can carry it horizontally in front or on the side I see no problem, assuming you can get comfortable wearing it like that.

Thats is what I was refering too but the other opinions were welcome also. The sheath is F1 Gundy from JRE industries. Im looking forward to getting this sheath.

I won't carry a knife "scout style" because I prefer to be able to access it with either hand, horizontal SOB carry makes this nigh impossible...

I carry my Becker Campanion in one of Normark's creations horizontally, using a large tek-lok. Never had a problem with slippage or keeping track of it. BTW On-Scene Tactical kydex rocks. (shameless plug);)

campanionsheath001.jpg

campanion005.jpg

My S1 is set up for horizontal carry. For me that means inverted on a backpack strap.

dc6aae39.jpg

I also thinks it depends upon the activity one is doing wearing the sheath in question; as well as the size of the knife. if one is carrying a backpack it is a pita to find your knife in a hurry under the bottom of a pack. Plus the pack can put undue pressure upon the sheath 'loading' your belt with weight that transfers to a pain in your gut. now, if you were say fishing, or boating and just wanted to carry the knife back there for 'just in case' , not frequent use, then it can work for some. the danger is definitely in replacing the knife back into the sheath safely.

Otherwise, I'm a side carry type wearer of mid to large blades. A small enough blade worn in a horizontal sheath, in a 'cross draw style' as mentioned by another poster, has worked for me. The problem with larger knives above 3" blades is the sheath is larger out of necessity, and that in and of itself becomes a problem (for me) due to it's inherent bulk. I don't want to wear a large sheath in front of my belt buckle personally because if i'm out in the woods I have the large pack buckle there. it's a personal choice and there are some nice 'Scout carry setups' made by folks here, to each their own.

I have an F1 with a kydex sheath (Survival Sheath I think) that I use for horizontal carry and a JRE sheath for vertical. I like both. Horizontal weak side carry is nice for when you are driving or sitting for extended periods - it presents the knife just right for an easy draw.

I have one of the TOPS trackers, and wearing it horizontally on the back of my belt makes it either hard to reach, or if I cheat and move it a little forward, it catches on things.

I attached a carbiner to my Northstar sheath to make it a dangler, and I tuck it into my back pocket to keep it from flopping around too much.

A piece of cord could easily tie it horizontally to my belt if I wanted, but I don't see the advantage.

I carry pretty much all of my midsize blades in a horizontal carry position. I much prefer it to anything else. I either carry it on my back, side set up for cross draw, or in front over my belt buckle. Any one of those is incredibly comfortable. My sheaths also hold the knife enough that I know it's not going to fall out. I'd pretty much have to jump off a building for it to just fall out. The advantage for me is the range of movement, from walking to crouching etc. For larger blades, I don't even attach the sheath to me because I don't think it's comfortable in any position. For everything else, horizontal is perfect IMHO. For the back position, I got used to sheathing the knife pretty quick and it's not scary anymore. I always pay attention when putting it away anyway so it's not a problem.

Here are some pics.

camerapics185.jpg

camerapics186.jpg

camerapics149.jpg

camerapics151.jpg

camerapics160.jpg

Not me, i like carrying it as a baldric on a paracord strap. Reasons: I can get it and the firesteel out and replace them easily as it's up front, it can be slid behind to hide it if you're talking to sheeple, it doesn't interfere with backpack or lumbar pack waistbelts, on water i can tuck it in between the front and back panels of a pfd. Also, i don't like the idea of having something hard in the small of my back if i take a fall onto my back, that's also why keeping a gun there is a bad idea.

I like horizontal carry for folders and my Leatherman tools.
Nice work as usual Dannyboy.:thumbup:
Scott

I like horizontal carry for 3"-4" fixed blades such as Dozier blades that come with his horizontal sheath. Fehrman Peace Maker and one of Scott Gossman's blades. I carry just left of my belt buckle, very comfortable and accessible.

Back