Horizontal sheaths?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All!
I live in Austin, Texas and i just got a Gerber profile 4" fixed blade. I really like the knife a lot. The sheath that they gave with it is a vertical one. I Really Really want to get a horizontal sheath that would fit this blade! Does anyone know of how to get a sheath for this knife?

Thanks so much!
-McMillan

Depends on if you want kydex or leather, and if your willing to send the knife in for fitting. We have a lot of very reasonable priced makers for both. :)

Customers have a hard time talking me into making a horizontal LEATHER sheath, they just don't seem secure to me without a strap or cover.

I do plenty of them in Kydex with more confidence.

I think i would be a little more confident in a kydex sheath as well. Is there someone that would be able to make them or a place that i could purchase one from online? Preferably a trustworthy source. Im not very familiar with internet purchases so i am a little cautious to be giving out my personal information.
-McMillan

Customers have a hard time talking me into making a horizontal LEATHER sheath, they just don't seem secure to me without a strap or cover.

I do plenty of them in Kydex with more confidence.

Not sure whatcha mean but I can make a sheath that will literally lock the knife in place. Made correctly, and with a Loveless cam in place, Leather can be as secure as kydex. Made incorrectly, kydex can have horrible retention.

Its the craftsman not the material. :)

Leather is never going to be as secure as Kydex, it's not possible when you consider properties of the materials.

When leather becomes as stiff as kydex it cracks, nothing you can do to prevent it because it's a fibrous material. Kydex is rubber/plastic based so it's very hard while still flexible.

Leather done right has good retention, done wrong and you might as well be using a paper bag.

That doesn't make leather bad it just means that it's leather. Kydex is the same thing, but when it's correct it will hold a knife far better than any leather sheath.

That's why you use straps and snaps on leather sheaths and usually don't need to on Kydex. The difference is in the material.

The ONLY kydex sheath I've ever designed and made with a strap was to obtain Marine Corps Jump Certification. One strap and you could do pull ups on the knife before it would come loose. You can't get there with leather regardless how well it's executed.

I'd just love to see your Kydex shoes.......

I realize you are a strong proponent of Kydex, but you're making some pretty heavy duty statements and I'm not sure they can be backed up by you or anyone else. If you like Kydex, fine...if you like to make Kydex, fine, but don't forget to mention that Kydex will scratch the sh*t out of the blade on any knife and particularly a nice knife so I guess there is a place for leather after all. I really can't remember the last time I saw a $5000 knife in a Kydex sheath, but I've put more than several in good leather.

Have a nice day and best regards,

Paul

Easy Paul....we all know you're the leather "sheathmaker"...but Kydex guys are people too.

Hello All!
I live in Austin, Texas and i just got a Gerber profile 4" fixed blade. I really like the knife a lot. The sheath that they gave with it is a vertical one. I Really Really want to get a horizontal sheath that would fit this blade! Does anyone know of how to get a sheath for this knife?

Thanks so much!
-McMillan

Howdy McMillan... Lots of good Texans on here that make some fine sheaths! You probably can't go wrong with any of them (or anyone else on here).

The good thing about a forum like this is that guys live on their reputations here. It is a lot safer doing business here than other places on the 'mysterious' web.

I do some kydex stuff for my own use, and it works well. But I must say that Leather can be made every bit as secure as kydex by a good leatherbender.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Leather is never going to be as secure as Kydex, it's not possible when you consider properties of the materials.

When leather becomes as stiff as kydex it cracks, nothing you can do to prevent it because it's a fibrous material. Kydex is rubber/plastic based so it's very hard while still flexible.

Leather done right has good retention, done wrong and you might as well be using a paper bag.

That doesn't make leather bad it just means that it's leather. Kydex is the same thing, but when it's correct it will hold a knife far better than any leather sheath.

That's why you use straps and snaps on leather sheaths and usually don't need to on Kydex. The difference is in the material.

The ONLY kydex sheath I've ever designed and made with a strap was to obtain Marine Corps Jump Certification. One strap and you could do pull ups on the knife before it would come loose. You can't get there with leather regardless how well it's executed.

I wish I ould agree with you, but I cant. The retention in Loveless style sheaths doesnt have anything to do with the stiffness of the leather. Rather its the stiffness of the welt. The welt is what holds the knife in place in the Loveless/Randall style pouches, the cam simply holds the knife in at a point on the guard or similar extention. The leather can be soft and supple an still take a huge weight to remove the knife because of the welt cam. No straps required. To give some description of the Lovless style pouch, its the type that is sewn all the way around the sheath, not just on one side. But even the pouches I've seen done with a cam are very secure, to the degree of silly hard to remove the knife.

Another super secure retention is the pin lock, no way is that knife coming out of the sheath when its enguaged. You have to shear the pin to make it fail.

A had a couple of Randall style sheaths that had to be remade because I had to cut the knife out of the sheath after a test fit proved way too tight. The other I was glad I had boots on as I had to tie a loop of paracord to the hilt and step through it and pull on the sheath to get it out. Retention at its scariest.

Easy Paul....we all know you're the leather "sheathmaker"...but Kydex guys are people too.

Yea! Kydex people may be made of plastic but they are more durable than those little green army guys! :D

The knife i have is a 4" gerber profile. Would anyone be willing to make a sheath for this knife?
Thanks,
McMillan

McMillan, I'm in Austin too, and I make leather sheaths. I'm still fairly new at it but would be happy to do it for the experience. I think you'd be happy with the results. PM me if you're interested. Here's a couple pics of a couple I made recently:

Attachments

• halfrich45front.jpg
    halfrich45front.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 103
I found a pic of the knife, looks like a nice shape. :)

I also noticed that its 25.00 at Cabelas, the price ratio commands that you find one of the "new kids on the block" and work with him. Looks like fasteddie stepped up for ya on the leather front. :D Look on the Busse forum for a few newer kydex benders like Steelnut and Gravelface, both are very good for rookies and safe to work with as they both have great reputations here.

Hope this helps

You need to find some one who has that knife already to make you kydex for it.
Maybe there is a kydex bender close to you....

The method I use to wet form my leather has produced a fit that will lock in just like kydex. You can actually hear the knife snap into place. It's the basis behind why I got into leather. I wanted to make a sheath that looks good but is functional and secure because Kydex does nothing for me. Don't get me wrong, I have knives that utilize a kydex sheath but that's what came with it. Leather is more warm and flexible and I can make it flexible wehre i need it and hard as a rock where I don't.

With that said......

This forum was started with the intention of discussing sheaths, the methods behind making them, sharing info, and showing off our work. Everyone here has a difference of opinion, myself included, and we should not belittle or berate anyones work or ideals. We should show mutual respect for one another and our craft whether you be a veteran leatherbender or rookie to the art. We can all learn from one another so let's keep this forum as classy as we can.

Last edited:
I'd like to mention kydex will brake and I personaly don't care a lot for it if it matters ..
but I will use it on dive knives and that's about it.. leather for the rest mainly
Cam it :thumbup:......or snap it or maybe velcro for those that have something to grip to :D JMO
sheath-tanto.JPG

for those that do not have anything to grip to you can use something like this.. but with a differant strap set up for Horizontal use
mikes-tooled.jpg

dive leg in Kydex
gray135-1.jpg

gray135m.JPG

Last edited:
Both Kydex and leather have properties that cannot be claimed by the other, some good, some not so good. In this thread, retention seems to be a large factor, and that is good as it fosters discussion. It does make one wonder about the "retention" in sheaths prior to Kydex, though, does it not? When a man's life depended on his knife on a nearly daily basis, where was Kydex, Concealex, nylon and other assorted synthetics? I agree with Paul on this issue in all aspects.

Reidracer made some rather positive statements that were pro Kydex and con leather. I do not believe he can back up his statements as to his stated properties of either one. That Paul should find this a little irritating has me agreeing with him. I think both materials should be touted for the advantages they offer and not slandered because of personal preference. ---Sandy---

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back