Horizontal sheaths?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever has your preference.
Even leather can be made let the blade snap into place.

Here's a freshly dried wetformed liner that does excactly that.

SheathFrej01.jpg

SheathFrej02.jpg

It's made from Finnish rawhide. They call it Lappleather.
It won't crack and will keep it's shape. Inserting the blade will only part the 2 scales of the cup a couple of mm's each, and won't stress the leather to a point where it can crack.
If it's a matter of life and death I would choose kydex though, cause it CAN be made more tight.

Good luck,
there are plenty of options.

Both Kydex and leather have properties that cannot be claimed by the other, some good, some not so good. In this thread, retention seems to be a large factor, and that is good as it fosters discussion. It does make one wonder about the "retention" in sheaths prior to Kydex, though, does it not? When a man's life depended on his knife on a nearly daily basis, where was Kydex, Concealex, nylon and other assorted synthetics? I agree with Paul on this issue in all aspects.

Reidracer made some rather positive statements that were pro Kydex and con leather. I do not believe he can back up his statements as to his stated properties of either one. That Paul should find this a little irritating has me agreeing with him. I think both materials should be touted for the advantages they offer and not slandered because of personal preference. ---Sandy---

Let's back up here for a minute....

It's more than a bit presumptuous on your part to think you can speak of my personal preferences as I have never stated them.

I make 250+ sheaths a WEEK, both leather and Kydex so I can assure you that I can back up whatever I say with factual information.

Let's start by talking about backing up statements about stated properties of Kydex and Leather.

I said “When leather becomes as stiff as kydex it cracks, nothing you can do to prevent it because it's a fibrous material.”

What part of that don't you agree with? Ever see an old sheath? The leather dries out, gets stiff and cracks. Over harden leather and you have the same thing. Leather is hardened by submersing it in hot water which breaks down the fibers of the leather so they can reform into a harder material. That's how leather armor was made centuries ago. The trade off for hardness is brittleness and when the old armor was flexed it would crack. Not opinion, FACT.

I've done it with thin leather, trying to develop thin lightweight sheaths from leather. The balance point is far too precarious for me to further explore the concept as a production method so it's been set aside.

I further stated: “Kydex is rubber/plastic based so it's very hard while still flexible.”

According to Kleerdex, the people who make Kydex it is a PolyVinyl Thermoplastic sheet. All you need to do is hold a piece of Kydex to recognize that it is hard and still flexible, that's why people use it for sheaths.

I believe I just did back up my statements with FACTUAL information.

"When a man's life depended on his knife on a nearly daily basis, where was Kydex, Concealex, nylon and other assorted synthetics?"

It wasn't yet invented, nor was the "Loveless Cam Lock." Sheaths were an entirely different story back then, retention wasn't a concern as people tended to trust gravity to do the job of holding a knife in place and only idiots expected that an inverted sheath would retain a knife. Times change and along with them go technology and expectations.

The discussion was about a horizontal sheath and I stated that I don't trust horizontal sheaths made of leather to retain the knife. I don't recall ever seeing a Loveless made sheath setup for horizontal carry, I wonder why?

Now to the brass tacks,

The Loveless Cam Lock isn't black magic, it's basic sheath design. I know, I've build hundreds of sheaths using the principle.

The retention in Loveless style sheaths doesnt have anything to do with the stiffness of the leather. Rather its the stiffness of the welt. Last time I checked the welt was made of LEATHER, not some mystery material. When leather is saturated with water it becomes almost putty like, that's the basis behind carving leather.

Take the most perfectly fitted Loveless Cam Lock sheath, get it good and wet and work with the knife a bit and you'll move the bump on the cam out of place and the cam lock will cease to work as effectively as it did when new. You may not like the facts but that doesn't change them.

I demand that the sheaths I make stand the test of time, working perfectly in the shop is only the beginning, after it's been in the field for a couple of years it still needs to do the job.

I make both leather AND Kydex, when long term retention is the specification it's Kydex; when tradition and warmth is the concern it'll be leather. To close your eyes to one material or the other is doing yourself a disservice as you are limited to the capabilities of the product you prefer.

Wow!!!! 250 sheaths a week. I must be doing something wrong. I can only make 10-12 a week.

That's because you spend so much time answering questions and writing tutorials to help all of us beginning hobby makers learn to polish the "perfect edge". BTW, thank you very much!:thumbup:

That's because you spend so much time answering questions and writing tutorials to help all of us beginning hobby makers learn to polish the "perfect edge". BTW, thank you very much!:thumbup:

LOL, Its actually a good way to take a break. My wife sees me typing and she thinks I am working. :D

Good grief, lots of hot air in here! I bow to your supreme knowledge of the craft, even though you wont tell anyone who you are.

Kydex is rubber/plastic??? :confused: ya ok. :rolleyes:

Let's back up here for a minute....

It's more than a bit presumptuous on your part to think you can speak of my personal preferences as I have never stated them.

I make 250+ sheaths a WEEK, both leather and Kydex so I can assure you that I can back up whatever I say with factual information.

Let's start by talking about backing up statements about stated properties of Kydex and Leather.

I said “When leather becomes as stiff as kydex it cracks, nothing you can do to prevent it because it's a fibrous material.”

What part of that don't you agree with? Ever see an old sheath? The leather dries out, gets stiff and cracks. Over harden leather and you have the same thing. Leather is hardened by submersing it in hot water which breaks down the fibers of the leather so they can reform into a harder material. That's how leather armor was made centuries ago. The trade off for hardness is brittleness and when the old armor was flexed it would crack. Not opinion, FACT.

I've done it with thin leather, trying to develop thin lightweight sheaths from leather. The balance point is far too precarious for me to further explore the concept as a production method so it's been set aside.

I further stated: “Kydex is rubber/plastic based so it's very hard while still flexible.”

According to Kleerdex, the people who make Kydex it is a PolyVinyl Thermoplastic sheet. All you need to do is hold a piece of Kydex to recognize that it is hard and still flexible, that's why people use it for sheaths.

I believe I just did back up my statements with FACTUAL information.

"When a man's life depended on his knife on a nearly daily basis, where was Kydex, Concealex, nylon and other assorted synthetics?"

It wasn't yet invented, nor was the "Loveless Cam Lock." Sheaths were an entirely different story back then, retention wasn't a concern as people tended to trust gravity to do the job of holding a knife in place and only idiots expected that an inverted sheath would retain a knife. Times change and along with them go technology and expectations.

The discussion was about a horizontal sheath and I stated that I don't trust horizontal sheaths made of leather to retain the knife. I don't recall ever seeing a Loveless made sheath setup for horizontal carry, I wonder why?

Now to the brass tacks,

The Loveless Cam Lock isn't black magic, it's basic sheath design. I know, I've build hundreds of sheaths using the principle.

The retention in Loveless style sheaths doesnt have anything to do with the stiffness of the leather. Rather its the stiffness of the welt. Last time I checked the welt was made of LEATHER, not some mystery material. When leather is saturated with water it becomes almost putty like, that's the basis behind carving leather.

Take the most perfectly fitted Loveless Cam Lock sheath, get it good and wet and work with the knife a bit and you'll move the bump on the cam out of place and the cam lock will cease to work as effectively as it did when new. You may not like the facts but that doesn't change them.

I demand that the sheaths I make stand the test of time, working perfectly in the shop is only the beginning, after it's been in the field for a couple of years it still needs to do the job.

I make both leather AND Kydex, when long term retention is the specification it's Kydex; when tradition and warmth is the concern it'll be leather. To close your eyes to one material or the other is doing yourself a disservice as you are limited to the capabilities of the product you prefer.

I have one of Dwayne's Leather sheaths for my Busse DABA, and the knife clicks in as secure as any kydex. I can and have carried it inverted.

I can put my S6 in the sheath in the top of this pic, hold the sheath by the tip, and whip the entire package as hard as I can, in an attempt to displace the knife, and it won't budge.

Leather can be made into a very secure sheath.

DSCN0832.jpg

One more time for those who missed it............PLAY NICE!

I'm not at all happy about the tone this thread has taken. It seems some egos are getting ahead of common sense. :grumpy: :rolleyes:

The method I use to wet form my leather has produced a fit that will lock in just like kydex. You can actually hear the knife snap into place. ....... Leather is more warm and flexible and I can make it flexible wehre i need it and hard as a rock where I don't.

Don't listen to Ken, listen to me!:D

I have a couple of his sheaths and they perform exactly like he described.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C.
Leather is more warm and flexible and I can make it flexible wehre i need it and hard as a rock where I don't.

Wow..
I just experienced the TRUE impact of these words.
Ken, are you saying you do differential (heat)treating on leather?
...the SAME piece of leather???
If so, I want to know all about that!!!!

I have been fantasizing bout that ..
:eek:

Last edited:
Good grief, lots of hot air in here! I bow to your supreme knowledge of the craft, even though you wont tell anyone who you are.

Kydex is rubber/plastic??? :confused: ya ok. :rolleyes:

I don't hide who I am, nor do I claim "supreme knowledge" of the craft.

I simply stated FACTS. That the facts make you uncomfortable is not my problem or concern.

If you want to get deep into a conversation regarding the chemical composition of Kydex/Consealex, we can do that. Rubber/Plastic is a vast oversimplification but make the point, Kleerdex refers to Kydex as a Poly Vinyl Thermoplastic and will be more than happy to send you the same chemical information they sent me when I was setting up shop to assure employee safety.

I build sheaths of both materials on a daily basis. I have clients who want one or the other and I provide it to them as I have a payroll to meet every week and families who depend on me to sell whatever the customer wants to put their knife into. I can't afford to professionally have a preference unless I want to go out of business.

I look at everyone's work and admire much of what I see the smaller makers doing in leather. Frankly I wish I had the time to get into some of the small details that many of you do, but my end of the business is to produce sheaths to meet the production demands of my customers with the best production sheath I can make.

I'm done with this thread...

I don't hide who I am, nor do I claim "supreme knowledge" of the craft.

I simply stated FACTS. That the facts make you uncomfortable is not my problem or concern.

Who are you? (theres a betting poll going)

What am I uncomfortable about? (besides big hairy spiders...)

One more time for those who missed it............PLAY NICE!

I'm not at all happy about the tone this thread has taken. It seems some egos are getting ahead of common sense. :grumpy: :rolleyes:

I apologize, I never did get over all those "Doesnt play well with others" cards I got back in school. :eek:

they were especially bad in college. :p

Promise I wont pick on Reid anymore. :D

Quote:
Last edited by mrrrtn; Today at 06:31 AM. Reason: to say that Dan needs the oiltreatment... :)
:eek:

:eek: easy Boy..
I saw that
I'll make it perfectly clear right now that the wife dosn't let me fool around ,,
really :( :D:D

Reid, it seems to me that you are ignoring the question I originally asked. If I remember correctly that question pertained to--Who you are, where you are, and the business you are involved with. Strange that you are so reticent to answer a question that is so pertinent to the operation of a business doing business with the public--or do you just work for one firm? If I wanted to purchase sheaths from you, what would be the procedure for contacting you? That you profess to be marketing a product but not willing to divulge how to get in touch with is perplexing. Your privacy in this matter would not seem to be to your benefit but if that is your wish, so be it. --Sandy--

Hello All!
I live in Austin, Texas and i just got a Gerber profile 4" fixed blade. I really like the knife a lot. The sheath that they gave with it is a vertical one. I Really Really want to get a horizontal sheath that would fit this blade! Does anyone know of how to get a sheath for this knife?

Thanks so much!
-McMillan

Hey Mac...I can't help but wonder if you ever found someone who could help you with a sheath here...or did you say "hell with this noise", and went looking elsewhere???;)

Wow!!!! 250 sheaths a week. I must be doing something wrong. I can only make 10-12 a week.

10-12 sheaths a week! You're the man, Chuck. I think I'm doing something wrong because I only turn out 3-4 a week. ;) :D

But it's part-time fun for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back