1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Horn Handle Maintenance

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Mateos, Jul 16, 2016.

1. blue lander

blue lander

Aug 16, 2011
    I just smear lanolin on everything. Wood, steel, horn, bone... everything seems to like it.

2. Ballistol

Ballistol

Oct 7, 2015
    Maybe that would be better than Hooflex for me. Read that Lanolin don't get rancid. But my Hooflex can says it has an exp. date of 2017. I will never be able to use that whole can in time :)

3. blue lander

blue lander

Aug 16, 2011
    I especially like it for blades I keep in the shed. It doesn't seem to spoil or turn even in 100 degree heat. I bought a little tube of it from cvs and it's enough to last you a lifetime. It was in the pregnancy aisle. Women use it to prevent... Uh, chafing.

4. kronckew

kronckew

Aug 17, 2003
    :) the vikings lined their scabbards with sheepskin with the hairy side exposed inside, the lanolin on the wool kept their blades from rusting. i used to use pure lanolin i got in a tube from the local pharmacy until i ran out & found they didn't carry it anymore. if you can get it, use IT.