Horton Knives,, Club Platinum.............One-One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian or bear or ....

I have surefires, a 6P,M3T,M4,L2 and Lx2. What would be the best ''drop in'' to equal say the M4 at 350 lumens? I mean, is that possible,it's a 4 battery gas guzzler but the light output is amazing?
Also, what is the run time on these 400 and 500 lumen drop ins and do they get hot like my Lx2? After 20 minutes on high(200 lumens) it's too hot to hold?

If you want 400-500 lumens from Malkoff you need to go with a 20 degree optic over a MC-E (warm or cool, I like the cool for maximum output). The 20 degree optic is a flood, no middle focused hot spot, and the thow is limited to 100-150 feet. They need to use that optic because the MC-E is actually a 4 die LED and a 8 degree optic actually leaves a hole in middle of the beam, not a hot spot. The best uses for the MC-E is for room clearing or outside up to 100ft. It is $125 and the batteries last around 45 minutes.

If your looking for something with similar characteristics as the M4 in a smaller package, I would go with the M60 (very conserative 235+ lumens). The light easily throws over 300ft with a nice focused beam and plenty of spill. The M60 works well indoors and out. It is $55 and the batteries last around 1.5 hours.

Both Malkoffs have huge (compared to the original) brass heat sinks. The lights get warm, especially the MC-E, but the heat sink helps keep things cooler.

Last edited:
Has Rolf's inner Troll finally overcome his fragile psyche? Sad, sad day.

I guess Tony G went back underground.

Working under the bus.

I want to work on my new bike.

f29sl_600.jpg

If you want 400-500 lumens from Malkoff you need to go with a 20 degree optic over a MC-E (warm or cool, I like the cool for maximum output). The 20 degree optic is a flood, no middle focused hot spot, and the thow is limited to 100-150 feet. They need to use that optic because the MC-E is actually a 4 die LED and a 8 degree optic actually leaves a hole in middle of the beam, not a hot spot. The best uses for the MC-E is for room clearing or outside up to 100ft. It is $125 and the batteries last around 45 minutes.

If your looking for something with similar characteristics as the M4 in a smaller package, I would go with the M60 (very conserative 235+ lumens). The light easily throws over 300ft with a nice focused beam and plenty of spill. The M60 works well indoors and out. It is $55 and the batteries last around 1.5 hours.

Both Malkoffs have huge (compared to the original) brass heat sinks. The lights get warm, especially the MC-E, but the heat sink helps keep things cooler.

Thanks for the data Brian. Very informative. :thumbup:

I was going to get the 500 lumen upgrade but they are sold out at the moment. :(

So its Knives / Guns / Re-loading / Flashlights - momma is going to throw me under the bus......

The components are high end. Jury's still out on the frame. If you spec out the various parts (see below), they alone are worth more than I paid for the bike. If the frame doesn't hold up, I'll just buy a better frame and swap over the components.

Fork: RockShox 29er Reba SL WITH Mission Control damping and PopLoc Adjust, 100mm travel*, Adjustable Rebound
Crankset: TruVativ FireX 175mm, 22/32/44T with integrated GXP BB
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR long cage or Shimano Shadow (no choice)
Shifters: Shimano XT 2-Way Release Rapid Fire 27 speed trigger shift
Cassette/Freewheel: Shimano HG cassette 9 speed 11-32T
Brakes: Avid Elixir Hydraulic Disc front and rear, 185mm rotor
Brake Levers: Avid Elixir for Disc Brake

Brian, thanks for all of the info, looks like the M60.

Working under the bus.

I want to work on my new bike.

f29sl_600.jpg

That's just weird...the last bike I saw with that name on it had an engine and was old as the hills.

I like the high front triangle geometry, very good for aggressive cross country, with obstacles,

It's a 29'er. It just rolls over shit.

That's just weird...the last bike I saw with that name on it had an engine and was old as the hills.

It's an old French brand that was bought and is now used by BikesDirect. The company puts together a nice bike and sells it for a song. Cuts out the local bike shop and all the mark-up. Supposedly they use the same Taiwanese frame manufacturers as several more recognizable brands. Folks who ride them give them a big thumbs up. For the money, you cannot touch the quality of the components on a comparable "name-brand" bike.

I got tired of looking at 29'ers with similar parts that were going to cost me $2K.

I respect local bike shops, but I also know their mark-up is pretty high to pay for service and support down the road.

Nice bike... are you guys trying to flush out Tony G?

Tony's a bike snob. He'd tear me a new one for not buying a carbon frame. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back