Test ad

Hotmail Hack?

I just logged into my hotmail account, and I had a whole slew of Mailer Administration: System Error mails. It appears that I tried to send a group mail to all my contacts plus a whole lot of people I don't even know. Some of the mails were sent successfully stating this:

Do you want to feel a low-price revolution?
Hi friend,
How are you recently?I'd like to introduce you a good company who mainly sell electronic products such as mp3/4,PSP/PS3,tvs, mobiles,motors and digital camera etc.and can provide you a low-price revolution.All the goods are brand new and original and with the high quality and the lower price.If you have interests in the low-price revolution please come with me to go their official website www.digiseries.com to have a look.Hope a good time there!
Best wishes!

Only I didn't.
My Sent box log shows that these messages were sent from my account.
Has anyone had this same experience? What should I do about? How can I stop it?

Kiah

S&S Moderator
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I have a Yahoo account that does that crap. I quit using it for anything besides a spam trap because of it. I've gotten spam emails from myself in it.

You can try contacting Hotmail about it, but my advice is to get a decent email host and have your Hotmail mail forwarded. GMail is good if you wanna stick with web based,

MSN won't do much to help you, you'll be lucky if you even get a response from them.

Reset your password ASAP, if you relatively sure that your computer is not compromised; compromised as in virus, adware, keylogger, etc. If you run automatic updates, regularly scan for viruses and such, you should be fine.

Then send an email to all the contacts you care about telling them to ignore the previous message.

For giggles, contact MSN help.

It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway, if your login and password for hotmail was similar to other login info at other sites you use, change those immediately as well, especially ones that involve money or secure info like your bank or ebay. Just FYI, never use the same or even similar passwords for email and banking.

you may have the Confiker (spelled right?) worm it was supposed to record your keystrokes and send spam from your email account.

Forget about 'resetting your password' or anything similar. Someone has picked up your e-mail address and is using it as the SPOOFED sender address, in other words, it comes from the spamming company with your e-mail address forged as the sender. The problem is that you get the bounced mail notifications!

Nothing you can do, NOT your fault apart from putting your e-mail address somewhere were it was harvested from.

In a week or so, the companies move to a different address.

And forget Conficker, there is a $250,000 bounty on the originators head, so the payload is not being collected upon. Spam, nothing more, nothing less!

If you are really concerned about viruses, rootkits, malware etc;

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, or MBAM, from the following location and save it to your desktop:

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup.exe

Once downloaded, close all programs and Windows on your computer.

Double-click on the icon on your desktop named Download_mbam-setup.exe. This will start the installation of MBAM onto your computer.

When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings and when the program has finished installing, make sure you leave both the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware checked. Then click on the Finish button.

MBAM will now automatically start and you will see a message stating that you should update the program before performing a scan. As MBAM will automatically update itself after the install, you can press the OK button to close that box and you will now be at the main program.

On the Scanner tab, make sure the the Perform quick scan option is selected and then click on the Scan button to start scanning your computer

Last edited:
Wow! Very quick responses on this. Thanks a lot guys.
I run ad/spyware etc scans a couple of times a day, and I did it directly after I noticed my mail account. Nothing came up in the scan (I use AVG).
I'll try that site Kiahs, thanks for the link.
Hopefully you're right AT, and it is just spam.

It happened to me about 3 weeks ago. I reported it to MSN, never heard anything. Someone notified me of the problem right away so I was able to send out an immediate "disregard" notice.

So far, no further problems.

DancesWithKnives

This just happened to me again. All the contacts in my contacts list (Including Dan Koster [Sorry Dan]) got sent an email that is purportedly from me, but obviously isn't :

Hello,friend,
Sorry to disturb you. Just need you few minutes to pay attention. It is possible that you need our
information. As everybody knows, most of us need to find a shop who offer routine products of
high quality and reasonable price. That is why we send this email. We deal in
clothes,shoes,glasses….. All of them are famous brand such as GUCCI,CHANEL,
LV,D&G,A&F,LACOSTE,POLO,NIKE,FENDI……. 100% authentic and brand new with tags . All the
goods are send with certifications. We only accept paypal and give fast shipment. We will try our
best to make you satisfied. I believe there will be more and more cooperations later. Thank you for
your concern..
Welcome you: www.robbuy.com
E-mail: [email protected]
Address: Peking city xiushuijie 126H.
Thank you!
RobBuy INC

It's not just my email address that's being used, it's my contacts list which would indicate that they have my password, which I changed after the last time.
I have AVG anti-virus running and I've scanned my PC for key logging software, but it all comes back clean.
Any other suggestions?

This just happened to me again. All the contacts in my contacts list (Including Dan Koster [Sorry Dan]) got sent an email that is purportedly from me, but obviously isn't :

Hello,friend,
Sorry to disturb you. Just need you few minutes to pay attention. It is possible that you need our
information. As everybody knows, most of us need to find a shop who offer routine products of
high quality and reasonable price. That is why we send this email. We deal in
clothes,shoes,glasses….. All of them are famous brand such as GUCCI,CHANEL,
LV,D&G,A&F,LACOSTE,POLO,NIKE,FENDI……. 100% authentic and brand new with tags . All the
goods are send with certifications. We only accept paypal and give fast shipment. We will try our
best to make you satisfied. I believe there will be more and more cooperations later. Thank you for
your concern..
Welcome you: www.robbuy.com
E-mail: [email protected]
Address: Peking city xiushuijie 126H.
Thank you!
RobBuy INC

It's not just my email address that's being used, it's my contacts list which would indicate that they have my password, which I changed after the last time.
I have AVG anti-virus running and I've scanned my PC for key logging software, but it all comes back clean.
Any other suggestions?

It actually could be that anyone on your contact list that has an infected computer. There have been trojans/viruses that picked up email addresses form the CC: box of received emails out for a very long time. Not so many years ago, it used to be really easy to spoof the sender email address, though today it's not a simple thing to do from a command line. It's still not so hard to do if someone really really REALLY wants to do si, and the Reply To: address is probably nothing to fake at all. They you would get failure messages for the sent mail, even if they were sent from someone else's computer.