How a Khukuri is Made- Forging a khukuri by hand at Kailash Blades

Kailash Blades

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Khukuris are known worldwide, but few people know just how much hard work and skill goes into making one let alone forging a khukuri by hand. At Kailash blades we make Nepalese knives as well as more modern blades all using traditional techniques. as well as some more modern ones when the design needs it. We're currently entering a competition which will be judged by Jason knight, with a part of the entry requirements being that the knife (a 15.5" mutiny with stacked leather handle) has video of the entire knife being made from start to finish. This is the first part of that process, going from a chunk of leaf spring and having the "Falo" or blank hammered out. More to follow.
EDIT: Full video added as the fb uploads were glitchy.

Last edited:
Do you plan to duplicate the content on youtube? I have my web browser set to filter anything from facebook, as they are incapable of respecting privacy. Otherwise, I am eager to see this, and should be a nice project.

Totally understandable Uraninite. Once we have all the videos up I'll compile them into one that I can put up on youtube. The video is on instagram, but considering that's owned by facebook it might be blocked too?
If you have an email I can send it through, though it's a pretty huge file before it's compressed by FB/IG

No problem, I don´t want to inconvenience anyone. I was just curious. I am thinking of placing an order, would it be best to wait until after dashain?

No problem, I don´t want to inconvenience anyone. I was just curious. I am thinking of placing an order, would it be best to wait until after dashain?
Hey there mate! Right now all orders are going to end up finished after dashain anyway, so the sooner it gets put through the sooner it'll get done. We should be back up to regular wait times after christmas.

The second part of this video is up now!
In this video you can see the blade get rough ground and go through heat treat. Maybe not as fun to watch as forging, but still very important. Next up, fitting and finishing!
EDIT: Full video added as the fb uploads were glitchy.

Last edited:
hmmmm that doesn't seem to want to embed.
Will put the youtube video up with the entire thing soon.

Last edited:
And here's the final thing all strung together on youtube! If you liked watching, please drop a comment or a like on the video as it helps more people find it amongst a bunch of other (mostly western) khukuri making videos.
uraninite uraninite

Last edited:
Back