How about reverting to the original Voyager handle design?

I found some old Medium Voyagers in my storage - Tanto, Clip, Hombre - with and without clips, even one with the original integral plastic clip.

Blades were the same length as the current Medium Voyager (though the blades are wider on the current Voyagers), but I was stunned by how light and compact - perfect for travel - the original Voyagers were. Only the Hombre was a little taller and heavier due to its wider recurve blade.

The only updates the original footprint Voyagers really need for modernized Voyager travel perfection are these:

1. Add the Tri Ad lock - if CS can build it into a Micro Recon, they can build it into the footprint of the original Medium Voyager series.

2. More clip positions - quad clip positions are common now, the original Medium Voyagers had a single position. I'm sure there are no design constraints that would prevent quad clip positions added to the original Voyager.

3. Screw together construction - the original Medium Voyagers were pinned (riveted?).

Basically CS just needs to revert to the less-wide first gen blade dimensions and ditch the overbuilt handles (THAT thick? The Prolite isn't that thick. METAL lined? The Prolite is unlined.)

Anybody still want ultracompact, ultralight travel knives? In terms of modern offerings from other makers, even the slim Zancudo and light Rat 2 still can't match the dimensions and weight of the original Medium Voyager. Bring back the first-gen Medium Voyager!

Great idea, but add the large size also!!:thumbsup::thumbsup: I still carry quite frequently a large old school Voyager. Love that knife and would love to see it improved with the triad lock and maybe some S35VN

I didn't have the old Medium Voyager. I heard it was a great little EDC. It reminds of a small FRN Buck knife without the side to side play, and completely off-center blade.

I do have (LNIB:)) the old large VG-10, and the XL AUS8 versions. I love these knives aesthetically, (satin blade) but IMO they are a little slippery when deploying one handed. I wish they had a deeper finger choil so that your hand would stay on the handle when stabbing zombies. The new models are uglier than the old, but they are definitely better working/self defense tools.

th
th

th
th

I have/love the newer med Voyager. Bring back the old, and the discontinued new Medium Voyagers!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

th
th

Luckily there are tons of excellent/new old ones out there and I have yet to see a fake. They are easy to operate with arthritis too, but I do like and own Tri Ads though. Best of both worlds, how can you go wrong.

I'm fine with the Voyager line just as it is now. Very secure and comfortable in my hand.

I think the current edition handle on the Medium Voyager provides a lot of "finger ride forward" prevention, which is great. Compared to the Prolite line it is more comfortable in my hand and feels safer. I don't object to the re-purposing of the Voyager line into a real tactical competitor to Emersons by adding a much more sturdy and safer handle, but I sorely miss the compact travel niche that the first edition and second edition Medium Voyager filled so darn well - I've tried to transfer my knife affections to the Rat 2 and Zancudo but keep coming back to my dwindling supply of prior version Medium Voyagers.

And I really want the TriAd lock. I don't care if it's pinned and epoxied together, or bolted together, but I do want the TriAd lock.

CS sometimes seems to run "batches" of knives - many more than a limited edition "sprint run", but not a commitment to years of sales. I would sure like to see CS putting some modernized slim handle 3" Voyagers back in the distribution channel, even if only for a couple of seasons. Call it a "sprint run 'Traveler's Voyager'" LOL.

No one overseas bats an eye if I use the original Voyager, it's very inoffensive in the eyes of the beholders.

I'll figure out how to insert photos. I had to set up an imgur account, but all I can figure out right now is how to "embed" the "post". If you are interested, photos of the plastic clip first edition, with second addition to compare thickness of handle:

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/djPsA8A"><a href="//imgur.com/a/djPsA8A">Original Edition Cold Steel Medium Voyager with Plastic Pocket Clip Removed, Thumb Stud Removed</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

^Need to use the actual picture ilnks (yours end in .jpg), not the full imgur page. Here are the pics below. IT's easier when you upload them, but what I did was go to your link (https://imgur.com/a/djPsA8A), right click each photo, and open them in a new tab to get their links, which look like
. From there, you can click the little picture icon and paste it in there, or put it in ["img"]Link["/img"] without the quotes in there.

ZVVnYw1.jpg

6uBeF9w.jpg

OiEQySj.jpg

I love the slimness of the old handle, especially in the larger ones, and would definitely be a buyer if it had the triad lock. While we are making improvements, please make one clip that can be moved to multiple positions. I can’t stand the curve one for some reason.

I like the new style handles on the XL Voyager, but he new large Voyager handle is a little too small for me.

I wouldn't mind something similar to the old style handles for the large versions.

^Need to use the actual picture ilnks (yours end in .jpg), not the full imgur page. Here are the pics below. IT's easier when you upload them, but what I did was go to your link (https://imgur.com/a/djPsA8A), right click each photo, and open them in a new tab to get their links, which look like . From there, you can click the little picture icon and paste it in there, or put it in ["img"]Link["/img"] without the quotes in there.

Is this from a smartphone, wondering why it isn't taken right from the computer.

The handles on the new Voyagers have horrible ergos. Way too confining. The old were excellent. If the new one at least didn't have full liners, maybe I could mod it to feel better, but the liners go right to the edge of the FRN. Go back to the old style, blade and all, but add a small metal liner for the Triad lock.

I love the Original - Extra Large - clip point, plain edge version; with the plastic clip. The blade, The Blade ! on this knife is soooo beautiful ! I dream of CS making a modern version with the tri-ad. Don't change the handle, don't change the clip (well maybe a black coated stainless). Only add the tri-ad (for the right price an upgraded steel would be ok).

Man, I loved those old Voyager handles. I would always have an extra large tanto with partial serrations in my pocket. I gave it away to a friend going overseas and never replaced it.

I am sure that the new handles have their advantages, but the old models carried so well for a large folder.

Back