How an axe is really supposed to be sharpened!

Hi everyone!

Sometime back i posted a thread about sharpening axes with a belt sander. It seems a lot of folks just didn't like this idea.
WELLLLLL----------Here is a professional, HOFFMAN BLACKSMITHING, showing us how he sharpens his axes to razor sharpness and explains how he does not have any problems with ruining the temper in his forged axes.

Please go to YouTube and watch "HOW AXES ARE REALLY SUPPOSED TO BE SHARPENED".

Please give your opinions after watching this YouTube video. I have put razor edges on my axes for over 30 years and no problems. Of course I have a bucket of water and quench often just to be safe.

Ripshin

I use a benchtop sander to reprofile and sharpen axes no problem. For users I usually just leave it at the 120 grit belt for the face of the grind and then work on the edge with a stone until I'm happy. If you're careful and make sure it doesn't over heat then you should be good.

Hi DarthTaco 123

Nowadays I also use two sanding stones. A wet stone 220 grit and a wet 1000 grit stone. My stones are the sharpening stones that Cody uses on his WranglerStar YouTube site. These do an utterly good job.

Ripshin

I use one of the scythe stones from Baryonyx Knife Co. and a 1000 grit ceramic to take the burr off and it works great. My younger brother got me one of the oldschool grind stones to work on as a project with him (we don't see eachother a whole lot nowadays) that should be fun. The wood needs treatment, the wheel needs to be dressed, and a pedal needs to be fabricated but it should be great! It has an old, cut in half tire as a basin to hold water in. I'll post some photos of the work when we get to it.

Maybe that should be rephrased to ' how to sharpen an axe with an electric tool'. Belt sanders are relative newcomers in this racket. Those blunt tool owners that are too impatient or too lazy to learn to work with hand files and stones take note. You can always go looking for another axe head after multiple disasters, that would not otherwise have occurred had patience and elbow grease been involved.
A professional such as Hoffman cannot afford to "hand-tailor" his products because it would take too long (compared to sanding or grinding) but you can be sure his discard pile or trials bin wasn't bare during the first while.

It's not "quenching". You use the water as a heat-sink, as cooling it after the steel has been overheated does nothing to restore the temper. You have to prevent it from ever overheating in the first place. It's totally possible to dry-grind an axe, machete, knife, etc. without burning the edge, but you need good fresh belts and a light touch.

I like using my stones as it's safe, puts on a nice edge and never gets close to over heating. 300 has a good point. I have belt sanders and grinders I could quickly sharpen on.
But I could quickly ruin the edge as well. DM

I use files and "stones". I agree with what 300six said. He makes a very good point.

I use a 2x72 kmg belt sander with slack belt. It's the only way.....unless you are up in the hills, then it's a file and puck

Professionals, Wranglerstar, "the only way".
Tough crowd!:D

I use all kinds of things. Treadle power, belt sander, stones. I draw the line on bench grinders though.:(

Professionals, Wranglerstar, "the only way".
Tough crowd!:D

I use all kinds of things. Treadle power, belt sander, stones. I draw the line on bench grinders though.:(
Relax, I meant it as a joke. I know not everyone has a kmg. I wouldn't use a bench grinder either.

It's certainly one way to sharpen an axe. There are many other shapes an axe grind can take for various purposes. Some other grinds will cut faster in certain uses. Differential treatment of different parts of the edge can result in a longer lasting edge. There are some edge shapes that can only be done at the speed of a file. (I have belt grinders but not as nice as Liam's).

I've watched this before and it's an excellent explanation of edge geometry and how to arrive at it. I'm certain that Liam is putting a very fine edge on his axes (I want one!). But I want a few more details in my grind. You'll learn what details you want as you sharpen and use your axes.

. . . Probably a nice enough guy.

I don't know what the consensus is but getting your neophyte sister to do this:

21818311469_c603234a5d_c.jpg

With the inevitable result:

21817059920_187cef3202_c.jpg

And then laughing about it and making fun of "Safety Sallies" is not my definition of a "nice guy".

Bob

As someone who has taught my own children and countless others the proper use and handling of an axe, anyone who has no respect for axe safety has no opinion worth listening to at all. As far as I am concerned. "Goofing around" with an axe is what stupid people do.

Professionals on the fire line tend to use angle grinders. :) By comparison, a slack belt is pretty darn tame. Most, with some experience with a belt grinder won't ruin an ax head. However, I cannot dispute the ZEN of hand sharpening.

Back