How big should the herd be?

hi guys, new to the forum. Avid collector myself, I’m curious what sort of limits or caps you guys put on your collection?

I keep my # of folders below 20, but man is it tough. Anyone else cap it? What’s your #?

hi guys, new to the forum. Avid collector myself, I’m curious what sort of limits or caps you guys put on your collection?

I keep my # of folders below 20, but man is it tough. Anyone else cap it? What’s your #?

I have approx 75 high quality knives already, and have at least 50 on my "Quick Picks" list pre-approved "BUY ASAP" for immediate purchase. Then I have a bladesmith list with approx 150 names on it from makers that I want knives from. Then there are new steels and new models coming out every year.

If I manage to collect 250 to 500, I'm OK. More than that and I have "a problem."

No limit cap. I'm spontaneously moderated tho, and I don't like redundancies so... A couple hundreds should be enough :)

It's an arbitrary number at the very least and will vary person to person. "My number" (I don't have one buy the way) will be different to yours and will be dictated by a whole range of factors that may or may not be applicable to others. I actually don't know how many knives I own, I have never tried to count all of them, I itemised one group for insurance purposes and it was closer to 200 than to 100 if you get my drift. If buying knives adversely effects any other part of managing your life essentials (food, shelter, caring for dependents) then you have exceeded "your number", till then you are OK... ;)

I hit about 35 a couple years ago, realized I was carrying the same couple of knives every day and wondered why I had all these others, and sold off most of them. Now I keep it to about a half-dozen in my knife chest and another 10 or so stashed in specific places (truck, backpacks, etc.).

depends on what kinda collector you are. some just collect and dont use. some collect only users and use them. some do a combination of both.

the limits are ones budget and what kinda collector they are......

30 something? All folders except for two. As for how many? No idea, I'll probably start selling once I am past the 50-75 threshold. I don't want more than 100, at least that's my opinion right now.

I don't generally put a cap on or limit my collections. You will instinctively know when to thin the herd as the opportunity presents it self when you least expect it. If my numbers were to decrease its usually because a friend seems to have expressed an interest at some point and I'm feeling generous as he/she has done something unselfishly for me I will give them one as a token of how much I appreciate their friendship. BTW, I'm not overly superstitious because before learning of the superstitions regarding gifting knives I have and still do find the practice quite positive.

No limit. Though generally I only keep knives i will carry.

The sky’s the limit for me man! At one point before I bought a house, got married and had my son I hit over 100 decent quality folders (including doubles because I like to buy knives in pairs if I can). I was so proud:D But I quickly sold over half of them in order to afford to acquire higher quality pieces as my spending limits grew. I currently own about 30 safe queens and 16 users that I rotate through quite frequently. I’m pretty satisfied at where I’m at with my collection now. Kind of. Not really:) But I don’t plan on stopping anytime soon. What I have done is limit myself to production knives only. I don’t dare venture into the custom realm because I know how I am and still want to keep my house, wife and son:p

Back