How big should the herd be?

I love the range of responses in this thread! It's fun to see how differently everyone looks at our shared hobby.

I agree. I do subscribe to some of the same ideologies on the thread. If I wouldn’t carry it or use it, I won’t keep it.

What I do like about the self discipline of a cap is that it forces you to make tough decisions about what you REALLY value. It makes for a curated collection. I’ve easily bought and sold 100 but the rule of 20 is easy for me to make peace with and keeps the old lady guessing!

Now every time I think about buying one, I decide which one goes... next on the kill list is the Manix 2 in favour of a BM Valet, or Adamas, or Mini Crooked River....DECISIONS!

Having said all that, I still have 5 fixed blades sitting around, and a small leatherman collection.

However many I have right now, minus about 130.

I think you are going the wrong direction- it should be "however many I have right now plus 50".

I don't think there should be a prescribed limit. Depending on your own circumstances you can have 1 or 10 or 1,000. You have to set your own limit, but I don't believe a person should set a hard limit to the point where it becomes a burden to meet it or reduces your enjoyment of the hobby.

In folders I have about 10 in my EDC rotation, about 4 more that I might carry on weekends, at least a half dozen other misc. folders that I might use at various times, and another dozen or so of misc. knives that are in my possession but I don't typically use them. I used to collect custom fixed blade hunting knives so I still have a lot of those, 20-30, and I have another batch, at least 10, that I might actually use for various things. And I don't know how many old fixed blade knives that I have that are again, in my possession, but I likely won't ever be using them. If I gathered up everything in my house that could be called knife, skipping everything that is in the kitchen, I would probably get close to 100.

Oh, the other aspect of a cap I was going to mention that I really take interest in is the effect a new piece can have on your existing collection. For example, once I got the OD green bugout, it completely changed my view on my native5, pm2, and mini-grip. All subsequently left the collection because the bugout filled all of those roles for me. BOOM, new slots are open! When I got my xm-18, I lost all attachment to the manix2 because they are so similar.

Then the love lost effect, I do miss the PM2 and will buy another, but because I know I dig it, I’ll go for a higher end version like s35vn. Nothing like losing something to know if you truly appreciated it. Haven’t even thought about the native5 or mini since they left.

:) The "herd" might need culling :

When you're forced to to either move to a bigger house or rent a storage unit ? :confused:

When your SO seriously threatens to use your knives upon your poor old defenseless sleeping personal bodily self ? :eek:

I think you are going the wrong direction- it should be "however many I have right now plus 50".
Nah, not really. I know about how many I have (somewhere in the range of 150) and about how many I realistically ever get around to carrying (about 20) and that's where my random math came from. I went a bit overboard in my knife buying days. No need to have money tied up in stuff that's just sitting on a shelf.

:) The "herd" might need culling :

When you're forced to to either move to a bigger house or rent a storage unit ? :confused:

When your SO seriously threatens to use your knives upon your poor old defenseless sleeping personal bodily self ? :eek:
I already rent two storage units, so knife storage is not a problem.

No hard cap. I have pretty narrow/specific tastes at this point (essentially only 2 manufacturers and certain specifics as to what I collect from those 2), so it is self limiting based on availability of the knives I like.

To keep things in control I made this small 2-drawer oak cabinet for my nightstand. It holds three watches and about 15 folders. If it doesn't fit in the cabinet and get carried/used, it goes. When the cabinet is full, one knife in... one knife out. Really makes me think about my purchases. Do I really want the new knife more than those I already have in my rotation?

My fixed blades, toolbox, truck and garage knives don't count. One fixed blades is in my boat the other two are attached to hiking packs. I have a Rat #1 in my toolbox, a Buck 112 in my garage and a beat up, old Spyderco Pacific Salt in my truck for fishing.

edCx6az.jpg

As long as you can pay the mortgage and dont dip into the kids college fund the herd can be as big as you like. I do try to limit it to whatever number that prevents them from gathering dust because I don’t have collector items. I buy CRK knives and throw away the boxes because I will use them.

Never wanted to count them, as didn't care to lie if asked. I'm sure I had well over 100, but it varied constantly. The fever has passed; pretty well down to semi-necessary ones. More content this way.

I hit about 35 a couple years ago, realized I was carrying the same couple of knives every day and wondered why I had all these others, and sold off most of them. Now I keep it to about a half-dozen in my knife chest and another 10 or so stashed in specific places (truck, backpacks, etc.).

I’m going through that right now. I have somewhere around 30, about a half dozen see most of my carry. The problem is, I like them all so much that I’m not ready to downsize.

I don’t have a pre-determined cap, but my purchasing has slowed to a crawl. If I buy something new, it has to fill a niche I don’t already have or be a convincing improvement on something already in my collection.

After downsizing a few times and selling and using the funds to buy one knife I’d say I’m sitting around 12. Try to stay under 20 bc my tastes have gotten rather expensive

I have no desire to own more than ten. Right now I own three after a recent purchase and that seems one too many to me to be honest. But I’m testing out the new knife first for a little bit before I make a decision on keeping all three or not.

I found myself with 50ish awhile ago and then I realized I had some that were never even carried. I now am down to 10 that all see a fair amount of pocket time. I am continuously buying and selling though ( I find its part of the fun) but am trying to stay at 10 at a time. Its hard to do with companies releasing so many new knives.

I have waaay too many, especially for my budget....around 50 ZT’s and probly 100 kershaws Lol I think 100 total would’ve been plenty, I do regret some of the cheap-Kershaw purchases like the starter, manifold, intellect, shuffle, injection etc...I use about 80% of the kershaws and 10-20% of the ZT’s so I have a lot of safe queens.

....I don’t have a pre-determined cap, but my purchasing has slowed to a crawl. If I buy something new, it has to fill a niche I don’t already have or be a convincing improvement on something already in my collection.
I slowed things down too, but a bit more than a crawl from my point of view as I have purchased the same number of new knives this year as last year and we're in August. The fill a niche or convincing improvement concepts are great, but that doesn't really work for me. I simply don't buy anything that I will not use; no museum pieces. The reality is that I use about 10 knives and all the other ones sit idle.

Back