How big should the herd be?

You’re herd size should be whatever makes you happy(and not put you in the poor house;))

I collected knives for 30+ years before deciding to downsize. A very humble collection by the way. Mostly LE Case folders.
I’m now down to about 10 folders and 5 fixed that are considered users. I’m set with fixed blades but still downsizing the folders a little.

I also have a bag of gifted knives that I’ll never use but keep for obvious reasons.

I have typically not sold much. My usual MO is to purchase something and then quickly move on if it isn’t for me.

I’m into locks and knife mechanics so what tends to stay are examples of those (e.g. the new WE Double Helix). I did wind up thinning the herd recently as I had a few knives that, while great, were duplicates of mechanics/locks. For example, I sold my 940 since I prefer my DLT exclusive Grip as an axis lock.

More usually, if a knife makes it into the permanent collection, then it’s going to stay there. How many knives will that result in me eventually owning I cannot predict. Currently 25-30ish.

No cap here, I just sell them when I feel like it, which is rarely.... I probably carry only 5 or so regularly, but I try to get them all some action once in a while.

My number is 3.

I used to be into multi tools, and amassed a drawer full of leathermans and Swiss tools. Sold down to 1 remaining tool, then sold that off as well.

I did not want to repeat that same trip down the rabbit hole with folders, so I tried a few different sizes from a few different manufacturers until I zero’d in on what I enjoy most.

If you are curious... Large PJ 21, Large PJ Inkosi, Umnumzaan.

Not cheap knives, but I’d wager I have less $ invested than people with relatively humble collections (by blade forum standards) of 15-20 pieces.

Probably so on the "investment" point of view. That is the kind of stuff I tell my wife, but it really doesn't work. She has however seen the result of my selling off some of my gun collection.... she said... that's real money.... I had told her that I wanted to sell about 30k worth.

After downsizing a few times and selling and using the funds to buy one knife I’d say I’m sitting around 12. Try to stay under 20 bc my tastes have gotten rather expensive
I'm over 20, but am in the same boat as far as expensive goes.

I have recently sold most of my collection due to financial reasoms. I have a few knives that were gifts from family traditionals. Probably 5 or so
I have a native 5 I am carrying now and plan on getting 2 maybe 3 more folders when finances allow. I believe that will be sufficient for me going forward. Everyone has a different number,philosophy of use and carry in mind. As long as you are happy with what ya have that is what is importanr

I agree. I do subscribe to some of the same ideologies on the thread. If I wouldn’t carry it or use it, I won’t keep it.

What I do like about the self discipline of a cap is that it forces you to make tough decisions about what you REALLY value. It makes for a curated collection. I’ve easily bought and sold 100 but the rule of 20 is easy for me to make peace with and keeps the old lady guessing!

Now every time I think about buying one, I decide which one goes... next on the kill list is the Manix 2 in favour of a BM Valet, or Adamas, or Mini Crooked River....DECISIONS!

Having said all that, I still have 5 fixed blades sitting around, and a small leatherman collection.

I'm in the same boat. I have a cap because it forces myself to really think about what I like in a knife.

My magic number is 13, that is 6 modern folders, 4 traditional folders, and 3 fixed.

This gives me quite some variety, with different knives for different jobs. And all of them are carried. If I realize I don’t use it it is a candidate for being replaced.

That being said, I love looking at pics of all your large collections- truely impressive!

For some guys, there is no limit. For others, there is. Personally, I don't go for the "I'll buy one of every variation there is." mentality, but many guys do. Or they'll buy nearly everything that their favorite brand puts out. My knife needs and wants have evolved over the years, so I no longer carry or own many of the knives I used to. For me, some of my favorites are my Buck 503, 501, 703, and 701. They aren't (by far) the latest and greatest, but they trip my trigger and cut stuff when I need them to.

I havent counted in years, it goes up and down and I just dont care anymore. I have more in display cases than I ever thought I would in my teen's or 20's and the # keeps growing. I buy one or two high end knives a month or more unless a rifle or shotgun tickles my fancy. I sell some and trade some and pretty much just let it go, you cant take it with you so you might as well enjoy what you have.

I only just started and I’m at 4 right now. I’m going to keep it >10 and I’m going to try to keep it >6. I am. I really am.

I only just started and I’m at 4 right now. I’m going to keep it >10 and I’m going to try to keep it >6. I am. I really am.
Good luck with that.

I'm at around 35-40 all in all. I do want to try out some more knives, as there are a few "must haves" that I haven't gotten around to buying yet.

I probably won't ever sell any knives, so.. There will be more. Who knows how big the herd will get?

I still have some pasture space available. Even though my herd is abundant, there’s still room for more. Now, I’m more selective when I go to the sale barn.

I have a cap. But it seldom restricts my buying habits. ;)

2j68t42.jpg

I havent counted in years, it goes up and down and I just dont care anymore. I have more in display cases than I ever thought I would in my teen's or 20's and the # keeps growing. I buy one or two high end knives a month or more unless a rifle or shotgun tickles my fancy. I sell some and trade some and pretty much just let it go, you cant take it with you so you might as well enjoy what you have.
This was my philosophy until I bought two XM-18s in the same week and thought I may have a problem. Try to have some discipline but it’s very hard when you can just order offline and have it show up in 4-5 days.

You just have to realize that life is not about the material possessions and it will not improve if you have many trinkets to fiddle with. However, it feels damn good to fiddle with trinkets - that is why I am a part of this forum ;) My philosophy is simple though - I invest in quality over quantity, that is why my collection is small but consists of expensive high end pieces that bring me most joy and serve a definitive function.

Back