How big should the herd be?

Nah, even though there's tons of knives out there I'd love to try, I tend to keep between 15-20ish.

Always on the hunt tho.

Depends on what you include in the realm. I include things like hatchets and axes, saws, and multi-tools.

Just like with every hobby I'm involved in, I get bored rather quickly. I buy a bunch of stuff right away, enjoy a little talk about it while soaking in an enabling that I didn't need. Then I over do it and move on realizing I don't really care that much about it. I give a bunch of stuff away that I never should've bought in the first place, but I got a great education about something cool and manly in the process, and there's no putting a value on that. Or at least that's what I tell myself when looking at my savings account and realizing what it could've been had I just stayed away. But, as always, I digress.

As for how many, 8...

A primary fixed blade with a solid backup (2)
A primary folder with a solid backup (2)
A multi-tool (1)
A hatchet (1)
A collapsible saw (1)
A machete (1)

Today I have 4 fixed and 11 folders.
My goal for 2019 is to downsize and being minimalist, in fact, it began on 2017. That said I want my number to be 10 (between folders and fixed but not counting SAKs and MTs), probably 3 fixed and 7 folders. And every time I purchase a new, another would go.

Diverging here. I'm not a collector. All my knives are users and the only one I bought two of is the Laconico Keen because my wife uses it. I have a dozen now from a $38 French Butcher's knife to three customs and a Shirogorov F3. Every one brings a smile to my face when I reach for it.

The herd should be as large as you are comfortable with. That goes for kitchen knives too.

I only have one knife.
Only kidding , I lost count in 2005 or 2006

Ideally, you should keep it a few knives short of the maximum structural floor load for the structure that you are in.

n2s

I feel like 4 folders and 3 fixed blades is too many for me...and two are just for work. You guys are nuts :):thumbsup:

Nuts? It's a disease and I have it. Doesn't even require physical contact to spread. It spreads rapidly to other folks who visit Blade Forums.

Sometimes if I really like a certain knife model, I will get three of them. A pair and a spare! Just in case they discontinue the model. :D;)

I have done similar although not anytime recently. The last one that I bought multiples of was a GEC #48 Improved Trapper. I do the multiple thing with SAKs often as I use them day to day. If I loose or mess one up, I have another to replace it without going to the store or buying online. But frankly, this seldom actually happens. It is a rare event.

The problem with multiples if you actually intend to use them is that when the next model comes out, you get that too and often the extra ones aren't used at all.

200+ here and still growing. The max # will be limited by the available space in my gun safe. Still haven't reached the max yet but getting close.

I keep all of my knives in soft zipper cases in the safe and all of the empty knife boxes, sheaths and other things in cardboard boxes in a closet. I currently have 6 ZT/Kershaw branded cases, 4 small Spyderco branded cases and 5 non-branded cases in the safe with room for a few more. Each case theoretically holds 18 knives and most of them are full. I also have 2 pages of a Benchmade Attache Knife Case with 8 fixed blade knives in the safe.

Reactions: AF
Back