How To How can i tell if blade is heat treated ?

Hi.
I recently found out, that my grandfather (he used to make knives before his alcohol addiction) left behind 4 or 5 unfinished blades and I'm thinking about finishing them. (How) Can i find out whether they are properly heat treated ?
I know he used some stainless steel but can't ask him anything because he's not alive anymore.
(im im sorry for grammar mistakes, im not native speaker)

Your English is just fine. Most common method is a file test. Run a file along the length of the blade. If it skates and doesn't bite in then it's hardened. If it grabs or bites in then it needs to be heat treated. Have fun and it's cool that you're finishing these up.

What a cool idea. It's great if you could do that.

If you have a machine shop local they will likely test it for you for a few bucks. Where are you located? I'd be willing to test them for you but you'd have to ship them to me. I'd pay to ship back simply because I'd love you see you follow through with this but I'm in Canada and it may be pricy.

As noted above. I file may bite a little but won't do much to a hardened blade. Hacksaw or drill would be another option.

Back