How come no one makes a good 2x48 Grinder?

I've looked at both 1x30 and 2x48 belt grinders and I'm wondering why no one makes a 2x48 Grinder like they make the 2x72 belt grinder. I've been watching some YTs where people are manufacturing their own 2x42, and they look awesome. Like mini 2x72s I see all the great knife makers use.
I'm seriously considering manufacturing my own 2x48 based on some plans available on YT, but it seems that for home hobbyists, a machine like that would be perfect. Specifically because of the high cost of entry with the 2x72s.
Is it just not cost effective to even build a 2x48? What I mean is, is it almost as costly to build a 2x48 as it is to just go ahead and build a 2x72? It looks like the motor and VFD are the same. Thoughts?

Here is an example of the 2x48 I'd love to build or purchase:

I wonder if there are as many belt options available to 2x48s?

Also, when you consider the extra cost to make a 2X72 over what making a 2X48 would be, the difference is probably less that $50. The tool arm slots would be an inch or so deeper (if at all) and the tool arm about 10" longer. The rest is the same.

Also, when you consider the extra cost to make a 2X72 over what making a 2X48 would be, the difference is probably less that $50. The tool arm slots would be an inch or so deeper (if at all) and the tool arm about 10" longer. The rest is the same.

Do you happen to know how costly it is to have a company laser cut the steel for you? I know there are kits available for the 2x72, but I was curious if anyone knows off the top of their head. That's about the only thing really holding me back. That and some of the big holes that need to be drilled. I don't have the machinery to do that. I gotta get to practicing my welding, too.

I run a 2x48 that was made by 84Engineering and sold through Alec Steele Co. I’m sure I could have made a 2x72 work for my shop space but I don’t have 220 and the 2x48 works for my needs as they stand now as a newbie maker with a small shop space.

You don't really need to weld to make a 2X72 grinder. Look up NWG (No Weld Grinder).

The cost of water jet cutting ( the preferred method) is not all that high, but the exact cost depends on if the cutter is local or you will be shipping the stuff; the complexity and number of pieces being cut; and if you want the holes cut/drilled. You will need proper CAD files for the cutter. It s best to find a local shop or one within a couple hours drive. Pre-cut kits are a good idea for folks without drilling and tapping equipment. They come in a variety of types from ready to bolt together to ones that are just the waterjet cut plates.
Consider your skill level and the equipment you have to decide what you need.

That said, a basic frame kit that is ready for a motor (and hopefully a VFD) is not that much. A Reeder all aluminum Grinder with tilting frame, the tool arms, work rest and extra arm, and flat platen is under $600. Add all the needed wheels for the drive, tracking, and flat platen and it is still less than $800. An 8" contact wheel of good quality is $175. 10" is $195. Reeder makes a great aluminum rolling base for their grinder that is rock solid. It sells for $395.
You can buy the basic grinder package ready to go (less contact wheel) for $1695.

A good1HP motor and VFD package -NEMA4, wired, and ready to install - is $560 (from an ebay supplier I recommend). It runs on a standard 110V outlet.

Do you happen to know how costly it is to have a company laser cut the steel for you? I know there are kits available for the 2x72, but I was curious if anyone knows off the top of their head. That's about the only thing really holding me back. That and some of the big holes that need to be drilled. I don't have the machinery to do that. I gotta get to practicing my welding, too.

Look at getting the "grinder in a box". https://www.polarbearforge.com/

Is he still shipping them? I thought I heard he was shut down for the time being?

While the GIB will be a little cheaper, the fully setup Reeder basic kit that I listed with a VFD motor kit is only about $400 more. In my opinion, comparing the two is like comparing a VW with a Benz.

That Reeder grinder frame tool arms and platen for $600 is pretty nice. If you aren't in a hurry to buy you can find one to two hp 3phase motors for under $100 on craigs.

I built my own 2x72 using the plans on DC knives. It has some welding. BUT for the number of hours I spent doing it, that Reeder package would have been worth the couple hundred dollars I saved.

Thanks for all the awesome info. No hurry at all. Yep, my intention was to start looking for used parts and such. There's a dude on TY that has a really nice kit (less some extras) and apparently he is eventually going to sell a full skeleton kit with all the metal parts cut out and drilled. All you will need to add is the motor, VFD and wheels. His handle is House/Work. He's not quite there yet, though. His basic "kit" now is about $400, but you still need to cut and drill a few pieces yourself. Then weld it all up, which will still be needed with the full kit and kaboodle. Less the motor and VFD, of course.

Have a Google and look on Sayber OSG, there are files available for laser cutting and detailed lists with parts and all that you need for building yourself. I remember people quoting between 200-300 USD for material and lasering cutting depending on the location. If you have enough time and appropriate tools you could do it yourself. I just decide that it wasn't worth the effort for the money it would save me. I might do it once I have more time and/or just for fun.

Most (but not) all conclude that it's better to buy a grinder in the long run (obviously this doesn't apply if you are very adapt with machining/electronics).

Have a Google and look on Sayber OSG, there are files available for laser cutting and detailed lists with parts and all that you need for building yourself. I remember people quoting between 200-300 USD for material and lasering cutting depending on the location. If you have enough time and appropriate tools you could do it yourself. I just decide that it wasn't worth the effort for the money it would save me. I might do it once I have more time and/or just for fun.

Most (but not) all conclude that it's better to buy a grinder in the long run (obviously this doesn't apply if you are very adapt with machining/electronics).

Thanks! Those files look very cool.

I don't mind the fabrication process, but don't have some of the machinery required to drill some of the larger diameter holes. And, I suck at welding, but don't mind putting in the effort to improve.

Ron, with your skills and equipment limitations you really should look at an assembled unit.

Also consider that if you build one from scratch it will have to be trued up and adjusted to run right. Some never run quite right because of alignment errors. You have no warranty or tech service to fall back on. All the places that sell assembled frames have aligned things and tested them to assure it runs correct.
You certainly can find a used 3Phase motor and a Chinese VFD, but they will need to be wired up and the VFD probably will need to be programmed. There have been many threads where new people have gone this route and couldn't get the grinder to run right without lots of work adjusting and learning to program the VFD.

Not pushing you to buy a Reeder, but their quality of craftsmanship is superb. Same for the ebay motor/VFD guy. First rate new product with warranty and KBAC tech service if you ever need it.

The grinder is the heart of a good knife shop. Don't try to save a few dollars on it only to regret it on every knife you make.

Back