How come no one makes a good 2x48 Grinder?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Ron Raducanu, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Metalhead0483

Metalhead0483 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 17, 2008
    I believe he still shipping GIB. Last I spoke to him it was the SLING grinder kits he was discontinuing.

2. Hubert S.

Hubert S. Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2019
    Ron Raducanu likes this.
  3. Ron Raducanu

Ron Raducanu Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 10, 2021
    Ohhh that GIB kit looks cool. For an extra $100 or so, the other kit from the YT guy can swivel so you can use it flat as well. Hmmmm...

4. Ron Raducanu

Feb 10, 2021
    I'm starting to realize and understand this. I appreciate the feedback and advice. Better start saving!

5. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    You could find a single phase C-face 3/4 to 1HP motor cheaply and use it on the basic package until you save enough to buy the VFD/motor package.
    If you can't find one locally, I will send you one.

Ron Raducanu likes this.
  6. Ron Raducanu

Feb 10, 2021
    Wow, that is incredible kind, sir! I don't mind saving up. I did see the link you put up for the E-bay guy with the VFD/Motor package in another thread. Would you mind linking it again here, plz? Thanks again for all the awesome info.

7. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    He has 3/4 and 1HP packages. He offers 1800 and 3600RPM. I like the 1800RPM motors on a VFD unit. You need to run a grinder slower far more than faster than 1800.
    This is the 1HP package for $560:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/KB-Electro...var=512829369203&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Send me an email about the motor. I have them in single and three phase.

You can buy a KBAC VFD for $238, plus the couple needed control switches for an additional $40 and use my free motor if you want to go VFD now.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AOCLKXY/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A3AYRF4ATT7DHX&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018GRK7YC/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A3U29IZ3PEDXGG&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YSKMHNG/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A3U29IZ3PEDXGG&psc=1

CasePeanut and Ron Raducanu like this.
  8. Ron Raducanu

Feb 10, 2021
    Thank you! You are too kind!

9. Nick-D

Nick-D

Apr 17, 2017
    I have the same grinder. Awesome little unit. My shop is tiny so the reduced size was the deciding factor for me. Also they are signifcantly cheaper than the equivelent 2x72, (at least here in nz)

Ron Raducanu likes this.
  10. Brady13

Brady13

Apr 30, 2019
    Go and get a reeder. There great guys with great prices, and don’t skimp on the wheels. just my opinion

Ken H>, SBuzek and Ron Raducanu like this.
  11. SBuzek

SBuzek KnifeMaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 7, 2006
    Also something to consider, if you find knifemaking is not for you, you can sell the grinder for almost full cost.

Ken H>, AVigil and Ron Raducanu like this.
  12. Ron Raducanu

Feb 10, 2021
    Are the wheels Reeder offers for a $200 upgrade adequate?

13. Ron Raducanu

Feb 10, 2021
    I am thoroughly enjoying it! That's what my wife is afraid of!

14. SBuzek

SBuzek KnifeMaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 7, 2006
    Then do not scrimp on a grinder, buy once, cry once

15. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Aug 20, 2004
    Reeder's contact wheels are top quality. I would not be surprised if he machines them and has Sunray put on the rubber. He machines all the aluminum wheel in house.
    Another plus on the Reeder is his tracking assembly. He had two systems, both good. He combined them so you have a coarse adjustment and then a fine adjustment. I explain it as adjusting the pitch and then adjusting the yaw. If you understand flying that will made more sense.

Ron Raducanu and Brady13 like this.
  16. Brady13

Brady13

Apr 30, 2019
    Yes they are. My machine tracks perfectly. The wheels are amazing. And the contact wheel is great as well. If you have any trouble with them and give Greg a call he would square you up. Stand up guys I really can’t say enough about. For why those grinders are they are a screaming deal. I would highly suggest going with a VFD whatever you do though because they are the shut.

Ron Raducanu likes this.
  17. Brady13

Brady13

Apr 30, 2019
    I love his tracking system, I never have the belt hanging off the tracking wheel.

Ron Raducanu likes this.
  18. Ron Raducanu

Feb 10, 2021
    Man...you guys are killing me!

The boss says I need to make a few knives to be sure I really enjoy it before taking the plunge. Thank you all for awesome input, advice and feedback. Very much appreciated!

19. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Nothing wrong with making a few knives with basic tools

Ron Raducanu likes this.
  20. noseoil

noseoil

Apr 24, 2013
    I started with a cheap HF 1x30 grinder to see how I liked knife making. It took a long time, was too weak & basically a major PITA to start with, but... It was enough to let me see that I enjoyed the process. Here's the largest knife I made with it, a chopper out of 5160. This took a while on that little grinder.

[​IMG]

I then made a 2x72 grinder. I didn't weld in the shop back then, but a friend did this for me. I did the design, cutting & fitting with stock from Industrial Metal Supply in Tucson, before we moved to NM. It's just a 1-speed setup, which has its own inherent limitations for grit use, but it works well enough to make things. It was a big step up from the 1" grinder.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My point here is that with a bit of motivation, some basic tools, a friend (& being incredibly pig-headed) you can make things which work. There are lots of ways to make things. A 2x72 grinder is a great tool to have, but don't let not having everything you need stand in your way of making what you want. I still don't know of anything more satisfying than working with my hands to make something from a basic idea to a finished product.

Natlek and Ron Raducanu like this.