How did you find out about AKTI?

For those of you who are AKTI members...

How did you find out about AKTI and what prompted you to join?

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
www.wowinc.com

Found out about AKTI right here at BF. Why did I join? I've seen what's been happening to our precious firearms rights, and don't want the same thing to happen to our knives.

------------------
Kelly
home.sprintmail.com/~maddash
AKTI Member #A000289

Deo Vindice

Found out from this forums as well as BM's forum. I felt it was time to do something to help preserve my wonderful past time. -AR

------------------
- AKTI Member ID# A000322

- Intelligent men, unfortunately, learn from fools, more often than fools learn from intelligent men.

I'm not a member, but I do know of the organiztion from here and the Spyderco brochure when I bought my Delica. I am going to join once I have some more money from my summer job.

------------------
Just because I talk to myself doesn't mean I'm crazy. What's wrong with getting a second opinion?

...read about AKTI in last year's issues of Tactical Knives from Steven Dick's editorials.

Knew about it from a bunch of conversations with Les DeAsis, starting in '96, and attending a few pre-organization meetings at knife shows and putting in my two cents.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

I found out about the organization through Tactical Knives as well. I joined using one of the leaflets in a BM box. This is my whacky opinion of course, but I think it's everybody's personal responsibility to affect change when it comes to things important to them. When's Spyderco doing the televison ads?

------------------
Professor

In 1995 started working with CA state legislature to amend switchblade laws to guard one-handed knives from assumed inclusion. It was time consuming and very expensive. I also learned that in political situations, names you can drop help you a lot. I represented the "industry" instead of just buck knives. It would have been helpful to have AKTI with a strong membership and some grassroots support. It will be critical when dealing with states that do not have resident knife industry.

I am hoping to pick up insights from moderating to guide AKTI efforts into the future. All the regents will be checking periodically.

Keep the input coming.

Before there was an AKTI, Mr. Buck, and others, worked very hard to change California laws (that's where I live). I saw articles in magazines and on the web about their work. I thought at the time about how to contact them about sending something(ie money) to help the fight and to build morale,but only found vague information.

About then I started reading about AKTI. I think first in BLADE. Then in TACTICAL KNIVES. However, it seemed to be an "industry only" organization.

Finally, some months later, it was open to all!!! I joined as soon as I knew.
(Although, 189 others beat me
smile.gif
)

I personally want to thank Mr. Buck, and all those involved.
Regards,
Gester

------------------
It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.
AKTI member A0000190

[This message has been edited by gester (edited 22 June 1999).]

[This message has been edited by gester (edited 22 June 1999).]

[This message has been edited by gester (edited 24 June 1999).]

Gester,

Thanks for the kind words. It was a combined effort from a lot of people we did get some financial support from the industry.

Testifying in the committee hearings was a terrific learning experience for me. We are up against emotional arguments (vs. rational discussion) and the "what's in it for me" mentality of politics.

Welcome into the fray.

I first heard about AKTI in Tactical Knives Magazine, then joined through a Spyderco insert. What a great idea by Spyderco, always leading the way!

Kingknives - all of the regents put the inserts in their knife boxes, not just Spyderco.

Although we did not get the response that we'd hoped for. (more than a million inserts). Any aditional thought on how to "spread the word" would be appreciated.
sal

I found out from an earlier issue of Knives Illustrated (August or Sept. 98) not quite sure. There was a small add or article telling about the upcoming of AKTI. Wasn't quite started up at that point and I quickly inquired on if individual memberships were available. At that point they were not. Soon after that I was notified that individual memberships would become available and I jumped on it!

I joined last fall of 98.

Mark
AKTI Member #A000003

------------------
" Knife Collectors Are Sharp People! "

Found out about it here when you said their forum would be opening soon. Was waiting for someone to say what "AKTI" meant without exposing my ignorance.

Back