How did you first hear about the HI forum?

First heard about this forum from the Plainsmans Cabin forum.First heard of the Khukuri when I was a youngster first in the USAF. As I heard it from a sidekick, he had witnessed a Turk attending a different school from ours that had cut a 2inch pipe in half with a Khukuri. WHAT KIND OF KNIFE IS THAT? Have been fascinated since. Other priorities came around in my life, but a year in Turkey, around Turks, didn't reveal any Khukuri's. Have seen a few in junk shops etc, but was always leery of them as being fakes, not knowing how to identify a good one, until I saw the referall post on the Plainsmans Cabin forum. Never happier than to read all the history and the tech stuff, not to mention the evaluations/recommendations. Did I get the bug again or what? I have carried an AF Survival Knive or a 13 inch Bowie that I bought when I was 16 years old, (still in good shape). I ordered my first 15 inch Ang Khola a couple of days ago. I was torn between the Ang Khola or the 12 inch or 15 inch Sirupati, or the BAS. Oh well, time for another soon. Waiting for the order. I'm sure it will arrive this week. LCS37

...this thread could use a few more additions from the new folks who have joined the Cantina in the last year or so...

Dan

These funny looking triangle boxes kept arriving at the door a couple days after Hoghead had been to the library.(we didn't have a computer). He finally just had to share with me the thread on Norway and i loved it.

The rest is history or the old adage "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em"

Heard about it from Uncle Bill. Used to visit the ChaiCutlery site a lot (run by Jim Mattis, for whom the JKM-1 is named), which had a link to HI. I wrote Uncle, explaining that I had an old junk khuk that I used for yard work that I wanted to replace, and he suggested a WWII "OR MAYBE A BLEM FROM THE FORUM, SAVE YOURSELF 50 BUCKS." HAH!. I didn't even know what a blem was, but I sure do now. It's been a downward, ever-tightening spiral since then.

gun shopping and ran across an Indian khuk. Said to myself, "Self, that's pretty cool, but 50.00 will buy another gun. Lets do some research and come back." Came home to the Internet, looked up best Khukri, and HI is the third result. Followed the forum link, and Voila. Here I sit waiting on my 16.5 chiruwa. So now I have another habit. Will I buy more, dunno, ain't got this one yet. ;)

Brian

Skip the Khukuris; I want to go where 50 bucks will buy another gun.

munk

Always wanted a Khukri looked on the net and saw the link....been watching for a while.....oh yeah I called bill he had a deal going
bought a 15" AK..........then a siupati and a chiruwa now looking at a BAS.......ahhhhhhhhh :)

Found an article about Khukuris in 1988 or '89 magazine. Convinced me the knife design was what I needed. Bought 2 or 3 from some other dealers & hated them; they didn't hold an edge or anything. Saw HI ad in a magazine(Blade?) in Slidell, Louisiana. Bought one, then another & ........... When the forum got up & going, Uncle Bill told me about it in a phone conversation. Didn't get the nerve up to post for a long time; didn't think I had anything to say that would be of any help. Uncle insisted I give it a try & the rest is history. I have really enjoyed reading the comments, opinions, field reports & etc., as well as the honor & the humor.

From Sportsmans Warehouse in Minnisota around 1997. What a piece of crap! The sheath bled black whenever it got wet(stained some of my best backpacking gear), the handle split soon after I got it, it rusted all to hell and it was so soft that the edge would bend whenever I hit anything resembling hardwoods.
I got on the 'net and ran across a thread for HI on SwordForum.com
Since then I've managed to get about a half dozen which would qualify me for HIKV.

I was raised on stories of Gurkhas and their kukris from my uncles who had served alongside them in WW2.Never found a real one in this neck of the woods until I saw one of Uncle Bill's ads in a knife magazine a few years ago. I sent for more info and was sold when I saw it, but I couldn't afford one right away. The ad mentioned their website so I looked it up, I figured I could at least see more pictures. Followed the link to the forum and lurked for a while. Everyone was laying it on so thick that I began to wonder if Uncle Bill was too good to be true.(I was new to the web at the time)I figured there was only one way to find out, so I emailed him. He recommended a 15" AK for starters, but I ordered a GRS with a brass handle. He said it would be a while and quoted a price. This was the same price he was charging for the regular GRS.I began to feel I might have been a little cynical about the forum. So I sat back to wait. One day a large and heavy package arrived for me, inside was a GRS and a handwritten note asking me to forward payment. Now I knew I had been too cynical, Uncle Bill sent me the kukri before asking for payment! Not COD either, he just trusted me to pay for it!? I was gobsmacked, but that's not all. The price was less than the original quote.:confused: I emailed to confirm the amount and Uncle Bill explained that Bura had taken over making the GRS from old Ganga Ram. Since he was faster, they had put the price down! I am 44 years old and I have never dealt with anyone like Uncle Bill Martino before. I still can't get over it.
Cheers, Mark

We've had a few more people join - so hopefully they'll add their story here.

BTTT

I have always had a fascination with khukuris. My country used to have a number of Gurkhas who came with the British forces.

Gurkhas made a formidable reputation for themselves during the Second World War in Malaya when they fought the Japanese troops. I heard even the Japanese were afraid of them.

For years, I have been hinting and pestering my uncle to give me one of his two khukuris which he acquired when he was a warrant officer with the army. Well, he didn't take the hint or chose to ignore it.

In exasperation I came over to the HI forum and put an end to my curiosity and have since then added a few to my collection.

I have my uncle to thank for. He made me do it! :D

I wanted to get my son something different to commemorate his graduation from IOBC and Ranger School. He and I have always liked knives; my dad gave me a nice collection he gathered in Mindinao and Morotai (spelling) during WWII. I started looking at sites dealing with military-use knives from around the world. I saw the Ghurkas on the site and it was a flash: my son was a history major and would love something with tons of history behind it. I didn't know if you could buy khuks so I searched Google, came across HI by luck, became throughly confused as to what to buy, started bugging you guys, started buying khuks and now my son (and several of his Ranger buddies)sport HI khuks. My son chose an 18" wood handled Sirupati. Of course, it was my favorite so I approved of his choice and gave it to him gladly. I have a great picture of him in uniform holding his khuk...great smile on that boy's face.;)

Well, I was walking through the bushes in my backyard with my blow up doll one day and these ninja branches jumped out from the apple tree! :eek: I fought valiantly with my 4 inch folder but they were tew MIGHTAY!!! They've taken my beloved Bubbette... :(

Then I searched far and wide for a weapon capable of getting me revenge!!!!! :mad:

:p

I was reading some gun website and there was a knife section and some guy mentioned something about "kukri" making nastay wounds and I wondered what the heck a kukri is. I searched and searched and saw a CS one... I kept searching :D and found the HI website. I've lurked this forum for 2-3 days and decided to buy a REAL fightin' blade! It came on Monday and on Tuesday I joined when I've finally thought of a kewl enough Name... :cool:

Oh yea, and I asked Uncle Bill what would good for chopping/fighting and he said WWII and helped me with ordering Q's as well. Many thanks, I am SEW HAPPAY!!!

I think I was browsing an blade auction site. Wondered if there was such a thing as a real true bonafide Kukri around anymore. Googled kukri and waa-laa!

I don't think I replied before.

I don't remember how I came here first.

Probably searching for sword info at the time.

Don't know how I came to this forum.

I've been fascinated by the Ghurkas since a kid (I've been a military history buff as long as I can remember) and bought my first khukri in high school (the infamous Atlanta Cutlery one). I loved it and it was my constant hunting and camping companion. Then a few years later I saw a mention of HI in a knife magazine but money was too tight after college with a wife and a kid to buy anything. Fast forward a few more years and now that I have some spare $$$, I finally took the plunge with a BAS. And of course, I was immediately infected by HIKV.

Now if only I can catch the blems of the day before they are all gone, I can get my next one!

Cecil

Back