How do the edges of the Manix 2 LW's handle feel in-hand?

FWIW, the LW is not FRN. It's FRCP. (< Acromania)

I like FRN a lot. As opposed to FRCP, it has a very different feel, with rounded shoulders being just one component of that.

FWIW, the LW is not FRN. It's FRCP. (< Acromania)

I like FRN a lot. As opposed to FRCP, it has a very different feel, with rounded shoulders being just one component of that.

Amen to that. I love the buttery "softness" of FRN, and the little bit of give that just adds to the comfort of rounded edges.

If the M2 LW came in FRN, I probably wouldn't have started this thread. All of the FRN Spydies I've handled had rounded edges, as do the ones I've seen online. (I wonder why that is? Is there a material property of FRN that makes that easier? Or is it maybe just a coincidence, and the FRCP handles just happen to be designed differently?)

Dadpool Dadpool that's a great question. I've wondered about why FRCP is used too. I'm sure there are some good reasons, I just haven't seen anything posted on that.

Dadpool Dadpool that's a great question. I've wondered about why FRCP is used too. I'm sure there are some good reasons, I just haven't seen anything posted on that.

Someone posted this on a thread over on the spyderco forums that referenced a thread here explaining why the FRCP.

"From BF regarding FRN vs FRCP:

Hi Powernoodle,

The CP is new, and offers more of what we want in a knife. It's tougher, stronger, has more color capability and is not significantly more expensive.

In fact the strength was surprising when we broke the light weight Manix. I have a black one in my pocket right now. We'll use the same material for the light weight Native 5.

sal

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/mr- ... t-11995448"

I have a S110V LW M2 which is my “cardboard breaker downer” for recycling. I removed the handle jimping with sandpaper, and rounded the shoulders slightly. It’s comfortable enough for that type of work, but carving hardwood is another story.

I would rate them as follows for comfort during hard cuts:
M2 LW < M2 G10 < Military < Mora

Someone posted this on a thread over on the spyderco forums that referenced a thread here explaining why the FRCP.

"From BF regarding FRN vs FRCP:

Hi Powernoodle,

The CP is new, and offers more of what we want in a knife. It's tougher, stronger, has more color capability and is not significantly more expensive.

In fact the strength was surprising when we broke the light weight Manix. I have a black one in my pocket right now. We'll use the same material for the light weight Native 5.

sal

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/mr- ... t-11995448"

That’s strange. On the latest 2018 catalog, N5 is said to be FRN.

I have medium sized hand and find that the Manix 2 LW fits my hand very well and is comfortable to handle while locking into my hand well. The LW is one of my favorite knives and I carry it often.

I decided to give it a shot; should be here sometime next week. Thank you all again for your comments! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
which one did you get?

The S110V Lightweight.

If an S30V middle ground existed between the CTS BD1 and the S110V, I'd probably have saved a few bucks and gone for that option. I decided to stretch my budget a bit and try my first S110V knife . . . and despite being a black/silver handles guy, the dark blue grew on me. ;)

The S110V Lightweight.

If an S30V middle ground existed between the CTS BD1 and the S110V, I'd probably have saved a few bucks and gone for that option. I decided to stretch my budget a bit and try my first S110V knife . . . and despite being a black/silver handles guy, the dark blue grew on me. ;)

Solid purchase my friend. If I had to have one knife it might be the s110v manix 2 lw. Enjoy it !

tiPg1yM.jpg

ZqvR6J0.jpg

75UqpFM.jpg

I realize that different folks use their knives differently. Some cut wood, others cut cardboard, fruit, some only cut phone book paper.

If you really want to see how comfortable a handle is, try feather sticking hardwood for 5 minutes.

I like the Manix in my hand; great ergonomics. But it does have its hot spots during hard use.

I like the M2 LW a lot. It is one of my most carried and used knives. It feels better in my hand than most knives, and far better than the Paramilitary 2. I have large hands so a lot of knives do not fit well.

It goes without saying your hands have a lot to do with how comfortable a knife feels - size, how meaty or bony your hands are, length of your fingers.

For me, comparing the Manix 2 to the PM2, the hump (lining them up front to end) of the Manix handle compare to the PM2, makes the Manix less comfortable. For most task, don't care, doesn't bother me. But I can definitely tell the difference white-knuckling the knives.

rMlwI1ch.jpg

I realize that different folks use their knives differently. Some cut wood, others cut cardboard, fruit, some only cut phone book paper.

If you really want to see how comfortable a handle is, try feather sticking hardwood for 5 minutes.

I like the Manix in my hand; great ergonomics. But it does have its hot spots during hard use.

I agree with you 100%. For outdoor use like that I use my mora companion mostly. I did take the manix out today to try feather sticking for the hell of it. It does have certain hot spots after a while around 10 minutes for me. I then tried the same thing with the delica 4 and I also go hot spots after 10 minutes or so. I went through with the paramilitary 2 and the caly 3.5 and found the same thing.

Most knives will give you certain hot spots during hard use. I think the manix 2 is king of being super versatile. There may be better knives for certain tasks, but I know I take one knife with me and that knife is the manix 2 It will be up to 90% of tasks.

Back