How do traditional hand forged katanas compare to modern high end swords?

Why does it have to be one or the other? ..Even Kohai999's chopping definition states: "to cut or sever with a quick, heavy blow or a series of blows, using an ax, hatchet, etc."

Guess what, you're not a machine, when you are "chopping" wood with your axe the edge does not contact the wood in a perfect unwavering straight on blow, there WILL be some draw-cut type motion in the arch of your swing. Does that make it less of a chop?

Same to you, I guess. :rolleyes:

...Honestly, I don't get why this is even an issue.

it's an issue because you're making it one:jerkit:

slicing

chopping

obviously they're not the same or you wouldn't need 2 words.

Stevens a nidan, and I've been involved in iaido for going on 4 years. We've explained how it's a slice and you take it as hostility because you don't agreee.
tell you what, go find a school and learn the difference yourself..then you can tell us how much chopping and slicing are the same.

Sean,

This is directed towards you, but everyone else can read it too.

I was like go kyu/yon kyu when I started posting on SFI....Howard Clark was on there at that time, Erik Tracy Sensei, Randall Graham, this is back in 2000 or so.

Certain subjects like how cool a reverse sharpened katana would be, Angel Sword(highly litigious, that Daniel), what is the best steel, what is the best school?....

Stopped posting because it became too contentious and too frustrating. People that knew something got shouted down by those that didn't know anything, or those that were "just sayin". The disrespect that was created became poisonous, so I just walked away.

Those that are serious are on a lifelong path....those that are not....are not. You cannot get separated from your path by the distractions of the mundane....remember that it is the life-giving sword as well as the life-taking sword.

That said, I'm happy to step away from these tomfoolery shenanigans at any point and let this place settle back into the seldom visited repository of misinformation that it was before Joe asked that I put up some stuff...maybe Jmijares has the patience for this, others do.

I don't.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Sean,

This is directed towards you, but everyone else can read it too.

I was like go kyu/yon kyu when I started posting on SFI....Howard Clark was on there at that time, Erik Tracy Sensei, Randall Graham, this is back in 2000 or so.

Certain subjects like how cool a reverse sharpened katana would be, Angel Sword(highly litigious, that Daniel), what is the best steel, what is the best school?....

Stopped posting because it became too contentious and too frustrating. People that knew something got shouted down by those that didn't know anything, or those that were "just sayin". The disrespect that was created became poisonous, so I just walked away.

Those that are serious are on a lifelong path....those that are not....are not. You cannot get separated from your path by the distractions of the mundane....remember that it is the life-giving sword as well as the life-taking sword.

That said, I'm happy to step away from these tomfoolery shenanigans at any point and let this place settle back into the seldom visited repository of misinformation that it was before Joe asked that I put up some stuff...maybe Jmijares has the patience for this, others do.

I don't.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

crap, yer right.....I told myself I wasn't going to get sucked into it again.:(

crap, yer right.....I told myself I wasn't going to get sucked into it again.:(

Don't take it as admonition, it was not mean that way.

It was meant as affirmation.

The "They" vastly outnumber the "We", even in Japan.....BUT....we get to sit at the table, we get the direct passdown, we might not even be deserving;), but we are fortunate, and we are blessed, and we are so few, and studying something so arcane and misunderstood that we are surely an interesting family:thumbup:

While others are asking "how come" or "what if" we are practicing in the Budokan in Kyoto in front of the Royal Family.

While others are sinking their asses ever deeper in the soft, comfy fabric of the couch, we get another callous from practice.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Last edited:
Well, I think I understand. It's a fundamentalist sort of thing. You have a small group of "traditionalists" who adhere to their own teachings and terminology.

Slashing/cutting/chopping, it's just semantics. Seems pretty obvious to me that you can and do combine these actions while performing some forms.

Apparently talking about things like this upsets the fundamentalists.

Just read my posts, I stated my point and asked a few questions. I don't think I did it in a hostile way, yet right from the start all the responses I got were outrageous assumptions and childish personal insults, :confused: and of corse the good old jerkit smiley.

Why so quick to jump to this kind of behavior? Just for future reference, next time you disagree with someones point of view you may want to try explaining yourself, or make a point for your perspective.

Otherwise, when you avoid the topic by simply hurling childish insults, it just makes you look like an ass, and it doesn't help your case much.

IMHO :)

Well, I think I understand. It's a fundamentalist sort of thing. You have a small group of "traditionalists" who adhere to their own teachings and terminology.

Slashing/cutting/chopping, it's just semantics. Seems pretty obvious to me that you can and do combine these actions while performing some forms.

Apparently talking about things like this upsets the fundamentalists.

Just read my posts, I stated my point and asked a few questions. I don't think I did it in a hostile way, yet right from the start all the responses I got were outrageous assumptions and childish personal insults, :confused: and of corse the good old jerkit smiley.

Why so quick to jump to this kind of behavior? Just for future reference, next time you disagree with someones point of view you may want to try explaining yourself, or make a point for your perspective.

Otherwise, when you avoid the topic by simply hurling childish insults, it just makes you look like an ass, and it doesn't help your case much.

IMHO :)

Wow, you really schooled me, and you seem to grasp what, 400 years plus of unbroken teaching as well, very perceptive.

Your ignorance is an affront....and frankly Bry, those that know something owe you NOTHING.

You are on my personal ignore.

Good luck finding the answers you want....there are some decent kendoka in Davenport.

Best Regards(not really)

STeven Garsson(who looks like an ass to "BryFry")roflol:thumbup:

Last edited:
Back