Recommendation? How do you guys carry your fixed blades?

I hike often and recently picked up a spyderco waterway to replace my Benchmade 200 puukko. It's my first experience with a kydex-y sorta sheath, and to be entirely honest I'm having trouble figuring out where to stick it. I feel like I've tried everything and nothing quite works. I even ordered a universal kydex sheath extension 2.0 which while functional is a little finicky and very awkward. The best thing I've figured so far is putting it on a static cord and stuffing it down my pants, which while pretty much perfect in every other area, makes it a little prone to sliding down my leg.

How do you guys do it? It's a popular kind of sheath so SOMEONE must've figured it out.

What else are you carying while hiking?

Do you have a pack with waist strap?

How I carry depends on what other junk I'm packing.

I do a static cord on two of my knives. A Ben Tendick Kwaiken, and a smaller warncliff. One has a kevlar lined aluminum sheath wrapped in warthog. That one, I put weak side, edge forward. The cord gets looped through the belt, then the sheath and knife go back through. Tuck the sheath behind the belt, and slide the cord forward a few inches to get the proper length to sest the knife so it wont slide down. Other one is a matching warncliff, that goes strong side. Static cord, with a Kydex sheath. I have put loops so I can mount the belt through them horizontal in front of right hip. Gun on that right hip too.

For woods walking, I am changing up what gets carried and how.

I make small knives and mostly make a clipped inside front pocket sheath with them

Horizontal or almost horizontal cross draw is very popular around here:

D6daQXe.jpg

Ue8hAcK.jpg

Ppwtoxm.jpg

Handy and out of the way:

mOmZe2y.jpg

1AVLdk4.jpg

VWAgFmO.jpg

iJBTosw.jpg

bkOy8QV.jpg

I can't tell ya how many knives and sheaths I've sold because some one said they were searching all over the internet for horizontal crossdraw sheaths and found us.

mESdHZL.jpg

We were tearing down a druggie encampment we found on the ranch. Even large knives can be carried this way. Tyler is a tool guy and he found a hammer. His Sonoran Camp Knife is the largest belt knife I make:

epa3y43.jpg

Poor Lil Man had to do all the work and he didn't even find a hammer:

wnGNH25.jpg

Well the Japanese Quarter Horse did a lot too:

VGR29H2.jpg

Anyhoo I'd say behind the back is pretty popular too:

dwhFuoe.jpg

anLW9ZE.jpg

Nh5KABN.jpg

Never have gotten the hang of pictures, but one of my favorites is to make a pocket clip sheath for the side pocket of my painters jeans. Knives under 7 inches will barely show, and sit right at hand level when standing. rtmind/randy

1. I looked up the knife so I could obtain an idea as to size, etc.
2. I will set a scenario as follows:
a. you want to wear it while driving a car;
b. you have decided that you do not want a strong side, drop retention;
c. you don't want a cross draw;
d. you aren't going to hook it upside down on a vest;
e. you aren't going to hanging it off a pack (my mentor does that with his Glock knives!);
f. you don't want a cross draw;
g. you don't want a horizontal front carry.
h. you don't want it interfering with your access to front pockets or sticking you in the side when driving.
3. If you want a material, non leather, sheath, then contact the spec ops people;
4. If I had my druthers, I would have a horizontal, behind the back carry in a kydex sheath. You would have to commission it.

1. I looked up the knife so I could obtain an idea as to size, etc.
2. I will set a scenario as follows:
a. you want to wear it while driving a car;
b. you have decided that you do not want a strong side, drop retention;
c. you don't want a cross draw;
d. you aren't going to hook it upside down on a vest;
e. you aren't going to hanging it off a pack (my mentor does that with his Glock knives!);
f. you don't want a cross draw;
g. you don't want a horizontal front carry.
h. you don't want it interfering with your access to front pockets or sticking you in the side when driving.
3. If you want a material, non leather, sheath, then contact the spec ops people;
4. If I had my druthers, I would have a horizontal, behind the back carry in a kydex sheath. You would have to commission it.

decide first what knife you want to carry
a 6" bowie is a whole lot different compared to a 2" gentlemans knife

I’ve got a waterway in the post! From what I’ve seen you can rotate the G Clip to allow for horizontal carry (like in Dave’s pictures)? My plan is to carry it this way as I tend to sit a lot when hiking :)

Usually, if the knife isn’t too heavy I’ll carry it on a dangler so it moves out of the way when I sit. Otherwise it’s in/on my Pack and I have a lighter blade in my pocket.

I hike often and recently picked up a spyderco waterway to replace my Benchmade 200 puukko. It's my first experience with a kydex-y sorta sheath, and to be entirely honest I'm having trouble figuring out where to stick it. I feel like I've tried everything and nothing quite works. I even ordered a universal kydex sheath extension 2.0 which while functional is a little finicky and very awkward. The best thing I've figured so far is putting it on a static cord and stuffing it down my pants, which while pretty much perfect in every other area, makes it a little prone to sliding down my leg.

How do you guys do it? It's a popular kind of sheath so SOMEONE must've figured it out.

Did you ever figure this out? I just got the Waterway myself and, you’re right, carrying it isn’t as easy as I’d hoped. It’s a little longer than my other knives and carrying it horizontal has it sticking out pretty far at times, but I guess it’s working. 45 degrees off the belt also works ok, but a dangler or leather sheath option would be nice. Would be a cool leather project :)

Last edited:
Back