• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

How do you mail an anvil?

Seriously...I have a 29 pound bench top anvil I need to send to Iowa from Washington. Do I really need to "box" this thing up? I figure I could tape a good address label on it and send it....I doubt it would get "bent up or dented" in route. What do you guys think? Anyone mailed one of these things before?
:confused:
Thanks,
WJ

If it will fit in a priority mail flat rate box, that might be the least expensive shipping option. A box for your anvil would protect other boxes from the pointy bits of your anvil, if you are not worried about that, a box is probably not necessary

Why would you post this question in General Knife Discussion?
Moving to FEEDBACK, where the rest of our mailing questions are found.

Check with Greyhound bus company. They sometimes ship items and the reciever can pick up at the bus terminal. Crate it up, and ship it cheap.

Check with Greyhound bus company. They sometimes ship items and the reciever can pick up at the bus terminal. Crate it up, and ship it cheap.
This is a good idea, a friend once mailed the heads of an old Chevy 350 motor using GH. The price was much less than FedEx or UPS.

Call companies that sell anvils and ask what shipping methods they use. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Just tape it up good with shipping labels and send it courrier. This year I had to replace the grate in my wood furnace and it had to come from the Vermont area south of the boarder and the thing was heavy made of cast. Shipping costs were reasonable I cant quite remember but somewhere between $40 to $50

Back