How Do You Store Your Fiddlebacks

Thought I'd move this over to this thread....
To date, all my knives have been in an 600lb. fireproof file cabinet. They're safe there but I have to slide drawers out and pull knives from a vertical rack to get to them.
So, I bought a bunch of rare earth magnets (3/4" x 3/32") and some 1/16" rubber gasket material, punched a bunch of 3/4" rubber disks and attached them to both sides of the magnets with weather-strip adhesive. Even with rubber on both sides, the magnets are strong enough to hold a Camp Knife securely to the side of the cabinet and I can arrange the magnets and knives any way I like. I really enjoy having them all out where I can access them with ease.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

I have them in a knife roll in a safe. I keep an edc and a larger blade on a rack on top of the safe for ease of access.

So I guess I can't have them laying everywhere, or so the wife says, and I like to show them off on occasion so this is what I came up with. It's a Pelican 1495 designed to protect a large laptop.

86e44994018cb07f4cac23612e27b757.jpg

ff3d4d0b3d6951359744f9e30e660233.jpg

Thats a terrific idea right there. Have a 1500 series with pick and pluck that holds 1/2 dozen glocks and a handful other handguns just like that, standing up pointed in the same direction. Need to get me one of those pelican cases.

There is still some that I can't find following the move -- mostly runts, two finger karda, bow legged joes, and mini-muks. However, the vast majority have made it to the peg board. As for the lost souls (I think there is 14 of them- based on the display hangar that I had made, I'm hoping they are in something like the slow cooker or the like. I remember rolling them up in bubble wrap and taping the big ball with clear packing tape, but that is where it ends. The worst part is that they may be in the beater car that has all the "un-shippable" items in it, parked in long term parking waiting on someone to buy our old house. (Good news is that I haven't heard a report of a car going "boom" this summer-- so there is still hope)

Otherwise, I've got a pegboard set up:

IMG_1612.jpg

I use a combo of renewax and Sentry tuf cloth to protect the finish.

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/...--rust-preventative-cloth---pouch-14236-p.asp

Last edited:
There is still some that I can't find following the move -- mostly runts, two finger karda, bow legged joes, and mini-muks. However, the vast majority have made it to the peg board. As for the lost souls (I think there is 14 of them- based on the display hangar that I had made, I'm hoping they are in something like the slow cooker or the like. I remember rolling them up in bubble wrap and taping the big ball with clear packing tape, but that is where it ends. The worst part is that they may be in the beater car that has all the "un-shippable" items in it, parked in long term parking waiting on someone to buy our old house. (Good news is that I haven't heard a report of a car going "boom" this summer-- so there is still hope)

Otherwise, I've got a pegboard set up:

IMG_1612.jpg

I use a combo of renewax and Sentry tuf cloth to protect the finish.

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/...--rust-preventative-cloth---pouch-14236-p.asp

O. M. G.

Respect!

Very cool swonut. Is that a Fighter on the bottom right? That's one knife I never see many pictures of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice swo! Love the mix in handles and the peg board is a great plus accessible idea. I have to dig through big usps priority shipping boxes to find the knife I want

My current solution is repurposed USPS shipping boxes but I've been looking for a (much) nicer solution for a while now. When I bought slightly bigger knives from Chris and Andy, they were shipped in USPS boxes that are a size up from the Small Flat Rate box. Looks like I need to buy another new bigger knife so I have more storage. :=) I usually carry one on the belt and on in the pocket so right now, I have 2 of the boxes filled and then whichever 2 are in the edc rotation sleep in the sheaths.

I do keep the blades and spines oiled well and keep them in their original cardboard protectors too. I'm not sure about storing them with the foam deal but that Pelican case looks like a really sweet setup. My concern there comes from a past experience storing a pistol in a pistol case and the finish got rust-spotted because the foam soaked up the oil in spots. Could have been a fluke though.

Storage%201.jpg
[/URL]

Storage%202.jpg
[/URL]

My current solution is repurposed USPS shipping boxes

Great minds think alike. Although you are way more organized. Mine are a jumbled mess in the hopes that anyone wanting to take something that does not belong to them gets bit by a spider

Here is my newest storage cabinet. I can get 7-8 average sized knives per drawer. Works well. Also the lower cabinet allows for sheath and GEC tube storage. It was a gift, but I think it came from hobby lobby.
Hosted on Fotki

Too much time in a hotel room leads to odd projects..

An old pair of jeans?

A cost effective knife roll!

I like to see my knives. I've been keeping them in one of those upright blocks you get at the kitchen stores that are filled with plastic rods, and I hate it. Aside from the issue of having too many knives to cram into that thing, it sure does seem to dull the blades from the friction against the plastic rods.

I searched for an upright, wall hanging case, and love the Dorris Designs barn wood stuff, but I can't get in touch. I'm probably late to the party.

So I was scrounging through a salvage shop last week and came across what I suspect is an old postal letter sorting tray. Here's what I've done:

• Painted the shelves to highlight the color of the knives
  • Used an antiquing stain over the white
  • Glued cork onto the shelves to hold the knives upright
  • I glued the corks on the handle side a bit back/offset from the blade side to account for the thickness of the handles
  • I glued a thin wood strip on the bottom/back of the shelf so that it will sit on the wall a bit canted - so the knives don't fall out if the kids are running around the house
  • I'll be hanging it on the wall later today...
I'm happy with the results. I've got an old Coke bottle tray that I'm doing the same thing with for my larger knives. I'll post that one up when the paint dries.

I've only got about $50 into this. The biggest challenge is deciding which knives to put up. I don't even want to admit to how many times I've switched things out.

The finished product.

Painting at night is not easy!

[URL=http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/Keegan1696/media/20161006_120501_resized_zps4qpwn6ss.jpg.html]
[/URL]

Damn, that Osage with blue liners still is my favorite!

Back