Recommendation? How do you store your knife collection?

No, not that I'm aware, it's just slippery. Stuff would slide around every time you opened and closed the drawers I'd think.
Gotcha. I just store my stuff in a basic IKEA shelf system, and got real paranoid for a while about some unknown properties of material and their absolute war against steel.

For now just on this shelf till I need more room.
This is probably as much as I'll need for folders, but will figure something else out for my fixed blades.
There's lots of space in between those shelves. You could put some screws in and place some fixed blades horizontally. Just an observation :). Maybe it's too thin and no room for backing don't know

There's lots of space in between those shelves. You could put some screws in and place some fixed blades horizontally. Just an observation :). Maybe it's too thin and no room for backing don't know

Maybe, but the back isn't too thick and I don't want to stress it with too much weight.
I'll see what can be done, but shelves are a dime a dozen at Goodwill.

For now just on this shelf till I need more room.
This is probably as much as I'll need for folders, but will figure something else out for my fixed blades.
I think that's a great way to store your folders. They are out where you see them and as a result, grab one to carry and use. Fixed blade storage can be a problem if you are trying for some sort of presentation quality. I use these "Really Useful" brand plastic translucent boxes for the fixed blades and folders. Have a couple filled up with GEC tubes. The big fixed blades won't fit the 4L size and my favorite. But I don't really have that many "big ones" to deal with other than machetes. They make larger boxes that would fit the larger fixed blades. I actually store two smaller boxes inside the larger plastic box. I could change that in seconds if I chose to with regard to fixed blades.

I think that's a great way to store your folders. They are out where you see them and as a result, grab one to carry and use. Fixed blade storage can be a problem if you are trying for some sort of presentation quality. I use these "Really Useful" brand plastic translucent boxes for the fixed blades and folders. Have a couple filled up with GEC tubes. The big fixed blades won't fit the 4L size and my favorite. But I don't really have that many "big ones" to deal with other than machetes. They make larger boxes that would fit the larger fixed blades. I actually store two smaller boxes inside the larger plastic box. I could change that in seconds if I chose to with regard to fixed blades.
No need to present them for me, so really I just need to get another shelf or something to put them on.

Get a Knaack , Ridgid , or whatever job-site tool box and some good locks.
I have the 24" by 24" by 48" size. Mine's full. A few hundred bucks , but a lot sturdier and secure than most gun safes and other boxes I've seen.
Get a box bigger than what you think to allow for the knife purchases you will make over time. You'll be glad you did.
You can always store guns/ammo in there too.

I keep my knives loose in a junk drawer along with tools, loose yarn, random screws and nails, my rock collection, and spare salt shakers.

Just kidding! I have a cabinet shelf lined with a clean piece of cheap fleece blanket. I have my EDC stuff laid out in an order than makes sense to me, with retired or seldom-used pocket knives towards the back. When it gets crowded, I'll sell, trade, or gift something.

Are there wooden versions of the metal toolbox?:
50141376.jpg

Or really tall versions of the wooden toolbox?:
20190719_132713_resized-jpg.1164327

Or even plastic? Basically a tall chest with really thin drawers.

Look for an “intermediate tool chest”. It is a small set of drawers without the flip up top. Then as you need more space buy another to stack on it. They are designed to fit between the bottom chest with the wheels and the top chest with the flip top.

These are nice because you don’t have to open the top to open the drawers. So it can be mounted into a shelf or have stuff stored on top.

I got lucky and found two blue print file cabinets in the trash on the side of the road. The drawers are almost 4 feet wide.

view

Last edited:
I store all of my folding knives in a variety of nylon knife cases that I keep in my gun safe.

I've got 8 "small" Spyderco branded cases, 4 ZT branded cases, 4 Kershaw branded cases and 7 unbranded cases. I store all of the boxes for the folding knives in cartons in a closet. I store my larger fixed blade knives in a box in the same closet and select smaller ones in Benchmade "Bragbag" sleeves that I also keep in my gun safe.

What do you mean? How could metal cause other metal to rust? Or do you mean rust from the drawer could just rub off on the knife?

Sorry, i should clarify...if you use a metal toolbox, and it is in say the garage, or the basement (if a damp or humid basement), then ive found that the cheaper “steel” tool boxes can start to rust. And if rust happens on the toolbox...its gonna move to your blades.
I feel like everyone already knows this and my previous post was kinda pointless...i apologize.
Personally, i dont store fixed blades in their leather sheaths, just on a shelf in the open air. I would suggest a storage option that is softer than the knives (ie. wood), because if say you were putting away one of your beauties and accidentally dropped it, well, at least the wood dents not the knife. :)
I hope that helps, just got off night shift, so my brain is kinda fuzzy. :/

A box and leave the most used on my desk. My sharpening gear though is in a Rigid tool box, small one that fits on a modular platform. Quite handy being able to roll around your tools and quickly grab your sharpening gear too. I imagine if you have a lot of knives you can rig up a nice storage setup with those and move them around as needed.

Condensation on the metal, bigger surface area, =rust on carbon steel. No expert on this. I think you'll be okay if you store the tool box inside a conditioned air space that minimizes the peaks and valleys that may result in condensation developing and eventually rust.

IF you look at your "collection" frequently, I can see going to all the trouble of a formal storage solution with easy access like a metal tool box. If you don't look at them often, just store them in tubs and keep in a conditioned air space and possibly add some form of moisture control.

For wood tool chests, look up machinist chests. They store their tool steel tools in them. Usually felt lined. Harbor freight has a small one that I use. There are larger ones out there and can get pricey.

Back