Recommendation? How do you store your knife collection?

Lots of different solutions here, but nobody has said they use a safe. I’m thinking of buying a fairly small one, less than 2 cu. ft. for my knives (most are unused, in their original boxes) and a couple of other things. I don’t care to display them, just secure them.

Is there some reason why that doesn’t seem to be too popular? There’s a couple of comments here about rust in cheap toolboxes, but that shouldn’t be an issue with a safe, should it?

You have to dehumidify a safe. Trouble with a small safe it can be carried away easily.

I was going to secure it to the wall and the floor. It could be carried away, but they’d need a crowbar and a sledgehammer to get it loose.

Dehumidifying, though, is a different story. Oh well, back to drawing board. Thanks for your input.

Lots of different solutions here, but nobody has said they use a safe. I’m thinking of buying a fairly small one, less than 2 cu. ft. for my knives (most are unused, in their original boxes) and a couple of other things. I don’t care to display them, just secure them.

Is there some reason why that doesn’t seem to be too popular? There’s a couple of comments here about rust in cheap toolboxes, but that shouldn’t be an issue with a safe, should it?

As I mentioned above on the previous page, I store all of my folders and some of my fixed blade knives (about 300 of them) in branded and unbranded knife cases stored in my gun safe. I've got an additional box full of fixed blade knives that, because of their size and lack of additional space in the safe, I have to store in a closet instead.

Sounds more like you need a boxcar, not a safe! :D

How do you dehumidify? I was thinking of those Zarpax bags.

You either keep the inside of the safe warmer than the surrounding area. With a light bulb or goldenrod. Or use a rechargeable dehumidifier or a large can of desiccant.

Lots of different solutions here, but nobody has said they use a safe. I’m thinking of buying a fairly small one, less than 2 cu. ft. for my knives (most are unused, in their original boxes) and a couple of other things. I don’t care to display them, just secure them. Is there some reason why that doesn’t seem to be too popular? There’s a couple of comments here about rust in cheap toolboxes, but that shouldn’t be an issue with a safe, should it?
I had a small (~3.5 cu ft) safe and I kept cash and paperwork in it. That thing sucked moisture out of the air and kept inside. Most of my paperwork got ruined and the cash (straps of bills) all got soaked and then went moldy. I had to wash the cash off--bill by bill--with a sponge (regularly cleaning the mold off of the sponge), dry the bills with fresh paper towels and then leave the bills out on a tabletop overnight to get them really dry. It was a travesty. If you use a small safe, definitely keep dehumidifiers in it. If you don’t, you’ll be sorry.

The drawers I showed are locked with a pad lock. Then the room they are in is more secure than most safes are. Then there is a dehumidifier ruining inside which drains to a sump outside of the room.

Sounds more like you need a boxcar, not a safe! :D

I've owned my gun safe (which is about 4Wx3Dx6H) for over 20 years and have never had any moisture problems with it.

There's only a little vent hole in the top and all I use inside are a few bags of desiccant spread around inside the safe and gun socks for a couple of my trap shotguns (more to protect them from dings than rust).

Last edited:
You can by reusable desiccant packs ... they will save alot of headaches for alot of things not just knives or guns.

Lots of these. I like my collection (220ish) to be easier to take to my living room to clean (one drawer at a time). The only drawback is you can't load these down with too many knives or they will warp the drawers, over time. I put some of my machetes, hawks, short swords in the flatter, under the bed containers. I got most of my containers off the curb, or at yard sales. The tacky Easyliner will prevent knives/boxes from sliding around and hitting each other.

th
th

th
41HKnZC-FVL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

th

Last edited:
I use those clear plastic tackle boxes. They have 6 compartments that will hold 2 knives, keeps them handy, visible, and protected.

Lots of these. I like my collection (220ish) to be easier to take to my living room to clean (one drawer at a time). The only drawback is you can't load these down with too many knives or they will warp the drawers, over time. I put some of my machetes, hawks, short swords in the flatter, under the bed containers. I got most of my containers off the curb, or at yard sales. The tacky Easyliner will prevent knives/boxes from sliding around and hitting each other.

th
th

th
41HKnZC-FVL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

th
I tried using these but frankly, they pile up too and you just can't stash them anywhere. I still think the plastic containers with lids is the best approach as long as you aren't displaying the knives. I want strong and stackable.

I tried using these but frankly, they pile up too and you just can't stash them anywhere. I still think the plastic containers with lids is the best approach as long as you aren't displaying the knives. I want strong and stackable.
You're right. They are lining most of my bedroom wall, but that's ok. I have spent a lot of money on this hobby. I want to enjoy my knives, and prefer easy access vs an uncluttered bedroom.

You're right. They are lining most of my bedroom wall, but that's ok. I have spent a lot of money on this hobby. I want to enjoy my knives, and prefer easy access vs an uncluttered bedroom.
You can still enjoy the hobby with alternative storage that might not be quite as accessible.

I had the brilliant idea to use those plastic drawer things for socks, underware and things like that.... my dresser drawers were already filled up.... end result was that they took up more room than I considered value. Back to square one on that topic. :D I tend to buy a lot of socks and underware when I like a particular kind.... what happens? I don't want to mix new socks with old socks that are exactly the same..... With underware, I have just changed and I have piles of brand new undies still in the store packaging. What to do with them? Throw away? Maybe I'll change again.

My son gave me these two boxes which have hinged glass tops and two drawers each--all felt lined with removable dividers that I took out long ago. Each level holds 10-12 folders. Not sure where he got them and I couldn't find them online with a quick search, though there are lots similar, some of which are for watches.

w8DY2sk.jpg

My wife found this piece of furniture that matches our BR set on Craigslist and I have my higher-end and a few other knives in that along with three drawers worth of knife-related stuff. I keep my CRKs in their sleeves and my more expensive knives in cloth-lined leather eyeglass slips.

1DHuZ8v.jpg

j6Q1tAR.jpg

zN4o8ku.jpg

sxFEEwb.jpg

0kBsKls.jpg

s2UeHXc.jpg

The big piece is certainly not economical either space- or cost-wise, but I do like to show it off. ;):D

I got an office filling cabinet my mother in laws boss gave it her for me that's metal and lockable it a heavy thing I had to carry it up stairs you all made me wonder if any of mine collection we're going rusty but they were not
I do oil often and think the cabinet is powder coated I got it because it was a lot more secure and bigger than a wooden box and I ran out of room in wooden box
I have just 're oiled all in there
I had problems with plastic boxes holding moistor love to know how it kept getting in them so I gave up on plastic

IMG_0242.jpg
I'm considering a Craftsman-like rolling tool chest with drawers for storing a few dozen bayonets & daggers, but its expensive. Can someone suggest a cheaper brand than Craftsman? Or a similar option? I don't need a glass display panel.
I have a 7 drawer knife display case. The top drawer has a glass top to display my prettiest knives. The other drawers are felt lined. I also have two knife rolls for the knives not currently on display. That changes with my mood.

Back