How do you store your wood-handled knives?

Late last summer, while waiting for another maker to deliver some knives, I discovered the FF family of knives.
I now own three and two more are on their way :)

The three that I have all have wood scales (Buckeye, DIW and Osage).

I live in NY and am concerned about the dry heat in my apartment during the long winter months.

Any advice on how to store them? I’d love to keep them out “on display” as they are simply gorgeous to look at and are among my prized possessions, but don’t think that is a good idea.

I know that Andy has had handles shrink on him within a matter of days during a show in LV.

Put a coating of mineral oil on them and store them in a plastic/ziploc bag?

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks!

ETA: Good morning!

Last edited:
Thank you both!

I will try to find time to sift through the linked thread to find the messages that address dry winter air - as opposed to humidity (which I will again research come summer! :))

I guess the most immediate/pressing question is whether there is anything wrong with storing in a plastic bag in a drawer.

Many thanks again!

I keep mine well oiled with mineral oil. I have some knife rolls from the outpost that they live in. Those are kept in the safe. I also keep the cardboard protectors on the blades. The few I have out for my edc rotation are in their sheaths on my desk so i can change them out easily. I need to order some more knife rolls as the family is always growing!:D

Great question. I also live in the northeast where cold winter air and a gas/hot air furnace create a lie humidity environment.

Only one if my knives had a wooden handle (DIW Runt). I carry it all the time and store in an RLO sheath. I treat the handle with Howards once a week or so. I also put a light coating of mineral oil on the blade after use.

So far, so good, though I do wonder about whether I should do the Howards thing more or less often.

I too live in NY. My wood handle knives do fine oiled up and tossed into large flat rate shipping boxes down in a finished, walkout basement next to the furnace room. I forget about some of them for months. No problems here. They will probably all crack and separate after I submit this post...

Mineral oil, obenaufs, renwax or a combination of the three. If you are married just label the outside of the boxes 'old baseball cards' and 'comics' - it helps with humidity changes from heated spouses if they were to find your stash

I keep mine well oiled with mineral oil. I have some knife rolls from the outpost that they live in. Those are kept in the safe. I also keep the cardboard protectors on the blades. The few I have out for my edc rotation are in their sheaths on my desk so i can change them out easily. I need to order some more knife rolls as the family is always growing!:D

EDTWC
2v2J9N1DgxurAoi.jpg

coming weeks
2v2J9NZ2hxurAoi.jpg

I also use Howard's every so often on the scale

Beeswax and tung oil combo for me. I do a 50/50 blend with terp. and tung oil to thin it out for better peneration into the wood. Mix the two into a 4 ounce glass jar. As for the blade, I use good O'l Mineral oil.
Even though I live in central/southern California, I still treat all my wood handles & knives. I'm in for the long haul.

If you are married just label the outside of the boxes 'old baseball cards' and 'comics' - it helps with humidity changes from heated spouses if they were to find your stash

Haha! The apartment is so tiny there’s no chance of keeping anything hidden from my gf for long. She’s been patient with my hobby so far because it’s the only thing I’ve been spending on. Besides her, that is ;-)

Oh, and she’s had to admit that they’re “very pretty”. She likes pretty things :)

Last edited:
I may give that Howard's a go? My Beeswax/Tung oil mix was originally made for my wood working stuff. I like the idea of x1 item for both handle and blade.
Is this somethng I am able to pick up locally? Any idea as to where if so? Thanks

I may give that Howard's a go? My Beeswax/Tung oil mix was originally made for my wood working stuff. I like the idea of x1 item for both handle and blade.
Is this somethng I am able to pick up locally? Any idea as to where if so? Thanks
We use Howard's Feed-N-Wax at the shop. It's orange oil & beeswax. We get it at the local ACE hardware store.

Nice, Thanks VANCE! We have an Ace not to far from here, I'll have to stop by later today.

Edit:
Ok, I just noticed there is the Butcher Block and Feed N Wax bottles. I' guessing the Butcher Block is safe on both handle and blade, offers protection and the feed n wax will condition/protect and polish up the handle?

Local hardware store has both, feed n wax being a few bucks more. I may go with the the butcher block and also melt some organic beeswax and dip the handles.
Every few months I pull out all the knives and oil them up. It' that time again so glad this discussion came up!

Last edited:
If I'm storing knives for a while, after I've oiled/waxed them I wrap them in cling wrap, put in cardboard sharp safe sleeve and then either back in brown paper they came in or sheath. Then i store them in large tupperwares. Its not much of a display but it keeps the blades and handles safe here in the Philippines as the cling wrap stops the oil/wax from drying out. I learned the hard way that putting the cardboard blade sleeves on, even when oil is applied can be disastrous in a humid environment unless you check them everyday.

Good thread, oils in general are of much interest, i think, to this community.
On my blades if theyve got wet Ill use 3 in one, use that sh... stuff on every thing, guns too. but also recently ive been using Iron Heritage Origional Iron oil... thats supposidly for yer hair and beard.. but its beeswax and mineral oil an some other stuff. makes for good sheath conditioning blade protecting stuff. long term. Some times the extra gets on the handles, makes them look shiney and especially on burlaps and stuff, kinda seals them. I just have it on hand you might say.
Not to steal from wood handles of the discussion, but a thin coat dont hurt them either. In the wood shop me and my brother always loved orange oil, so the stuff Vance mentioned sounds top notch, Ill definitely be taking a look at ACE.

Back