How Durable is Your Super Stainless Ladder Damascus Steel Blade

Eric Isaacson

Pirate
I was checking out your website and have fallen in love with your Damascus lockbacks. But how durable is the steel as far as edge retention and scratch resistant? I have never owned a Damascus blade before and wonder how it looks after some use. Also what about everyday carry(light use, of course). Is it practical for such a thing. I usually carry at least a couple of knives so it wouldn't get any hard labor but it might find itself in a pocket with change or similar. How are the handles going to hold up to that? BTW I am not a sheath person, but realize this would probably be the best. Sorry for all the questions.
I almost forgot I was looking at this knife DZ-5207-MB. So it is the style in question.
Thanks

Eric

------------------
Outside of a dog, a Knife is man's best friend. Inside a dog it is very, very Dark.

[This message has been edited by eaisaacs (edited 10-05-2000).]

Hello,
It is me again, I like the look of the raindrop damascus in the DZ-5203-MO model the best so I have ordered it. But am curious how this will hold up under light daily use and if there are any special precautions I need to take with it. I plan on using the tuf-cloth on it frequently since it is not a super stainless. Anything else I should be aware of.
Thanks
Eric

The more stainless in our damascus the better rust resistance it will have as well as edge retention. The three grades we offer are Hi Carbon, Stainless, and Super Stainless. Regardless of the grade purchased, the best protection is a simple wipe down with a Tuff Cloth or any cloth with a few drops of good lubrication such as Tuff Glide or other equivalent product.

If you have any further questions please feel free to e-mail us at: sales@deltaz-knives.com

Thank you.

------------------
Proud Bladeforums.com SPONSOR & MODERATOR!
Please accept my personal invitation to join the new product announcement and special sale list at our web site.<p> http://www.DeltaZ-Knives.com

Thank You BarnZ for the info. It appears I may not have chose the best knife as far as light use then? Is that correct? Your Super Stainless would have held up better, could you tell me what type of RC the Damascus are?
Like I said it is primarily just for light use but I wanted something to wow the friends and family when it comes to opening presents at X-Mas.
Thanks again
Eric

Dear Eric,

Your High Carbon Damascus will do just fine for light to medium usage. I wouldn't worry about it a bit. An occassional edge touch up (as with the most common steels like 440A to C) is all you should need to do to keep a keen edge on the blade.

The SS grade damascus is more durable, but for the kind of light cutting chores you've mentioned I don't think you'll notice any real difference.

If your heart is set on an SS blade, your dealer should exchange your knife for the difference in price plus shipping charges, assuming your knife has not been used. If they refuse to, let me know and I'll make sure you're taken care of properly.

Barnaby Zelman
smile.gif

President
Delta Z Knives, Inc.

PS. Our Tactical knives have arrived. Have you seen them? The version with maple burl scales is a work of art!

------------------
Proud Bladeforums.com SPONSOR & MODERATOR!
Please accept my personal invitation to join the new product announcement and special sale list at our web site.<p> http://www.DeltaZ-Knives.com

Barnaby,
Thank you for the reply, I am sure I will love folder. I was originally drawn to the SS Damascus folders but once I saw that raindrop pattern I had to have it. I am not that concerned about edge retention as I am competent at resharpening I was just curious. I do appreciate the clarification and will let you know what I think once it arrives.
BTW, I checked out your website for the tacticals and those are some sweet looking knives.
Thanks again
Eric

Back