How fantastic is the Kapara?!?!?

Liked it so much I (well Josh anyway) did this to it. @razor-edge-knives

Ok, that looks incredible!!
3q3CKWH.jpg

alsCIdC.jpg

I had the same issue. On paper it seemed like the perfect blade for me. Once in hand it felt too slick and too “gentlemanly”. I only pocketed it a few times and was afraid to use it because it I didn’t want to beat it up.

On the other hand I got my Siren two weeks ago and it has never left my side. I even carried swimming in a saltwater bay for 4hrs. This thing is a keeper.

I know what you mean. It is a little slick, which means it'll never be a hard user for me, but I love that thick CF. Kind of reminds me of the Benchmade Arcane. A little gentlemanly, and a little slick. In any case, I truly love the knife.

I know what you mean. It is a little slick, which means it'll never be a hard user for me, but I love that thick CF. Kind of reminds me of the Benchmade Arcane. A little gentlemanly, and a little slick. In any case, I truly love the knife.

I will probably buy another one in the future just to have in my collection. I have found that the Rock Lobster handles all my kitchen counter prep just fine.

I was an early adopter of the Kapara (day of release). I saw it via one of MrBlonde’s Amsterdam threads and it became an instant must buy.

It’s a great EDC & food knife. My sample is wonderfully put together. My only nitpick is the lockbar is sprung a bit heavier than my preference, but she swings free when I do my part. And I’ve never touched a screw on it.

IMO the Kapara along with the Spydiechef are the best new Spyderco products in the last few years.

I'm not really sure if I got the cqi version(is there a way to tell?), but what surprised me is that it was the first drop shut from Taiwan on washers. General speaking I liked the compression locks on them but never liked that they were not drop shut like the USA. If they ever put them split pivots on PM2's and Para3 then my preference may swing in the other direction.

I have a few PM2's with scale swaps and I can never get them quite perfect drop shut without a lot of tweaking. A split pivot I think would fix that.

C1E68606-1002-4D3D-B973-C5ECBEEFC59E.jpeg 7EDC4F3F-D516-4BC6-8815-8A7D9A14187C.jpeg D96AFEF6-0CC5-4985-A8D1-44F0A7BC67A2.jpeg

I just opened this up out of the mail and I am in awe. It is honestly flawless. It is such a well thought out sleek design that fits perfectly in my hand. The fit and finish on these Taichung models rival a Sebenza.

If the CF was just a tad more grippy, it would be a 10/10. Instead, it is a solid 9/10.

I have been tempted to apply some of that no-slick hardwood floor finish to the CF in an attempt to increase grip but would hate to ruin the otherwise gorgeous CF

Great... now I want one..

I don't understand why it matters that it was designed for food prep ?
Looks like a great edc.

I remember ordering my CQI version based on the specs thinking it would be a good EDC.
I was blown away by how nice it was both in fit and finish as well as how pretty it was. If there
was ever a knife pictures do not do justice to it is this one. It feels and looks luxurious...epic.

The lock required too much force to release on mine so I adjusted it...now it is perfect.

I consider it a high end gents EDC suitable for dress up use. The Advocate is also good for this role!
Long term I think it will be a highly regarded classic...and the construction will lead to a long
service life. The Kapara really is amazing.

If the CF was just a tad more grippy, it would be a 10/10. Instead, it is a solid 9/10.

I have been tempted to apply some of that no-slick hardwood floor finish to the CF in an attempt to increase grip but would hate to ruin the otherwise gorgeous CF

A friend considered it too slippery as well! I love the texture of it in contrast. It is not a heavy use knife, it is a sophisticated slicer...
and for that the finish is perfect. I have knives with better grip for harder use. Much of the appeal of the Kapara to me is it's feel.
It is smooth both in texture and in operation. Opening it is silky...exquisite. Hence my judgement that it is a high end gents folder.
I find it perfect. For more mundane EDC I prefer G10. I should note some knives more expensive than the Kapara come with smooth
titanium scales. They are not grippy either.
Now I handled a carbon Shaman in S90V and that was too slippery for me because the Shaman is heavier and also I consider it
a heavy use folder. One look at the Kapara blade made it clear it is not ideal for feather sticks at camp, as opposed to the Shaman.
I find the smooth G10 on the shaman nice...but I would like even more texture.

The Yojumbo is probably the grippy king of the line now. For it's use I love the coarse G10. The Kapara won't hurt the pockets
in your dress pants or suit...and has enough grip for it's use. For me at least. YMMV.

I don't understand why it matters that it was designed for food prep ? Looks like a great edc.

It matters in terms of blade shape which limits its usefulness and, with the sheeps foot design, it is NOT a great EDC but great for slicing which is what is most required in food prep.

For EDC, the drop point is probably the best/most verstile blade shape available. Try stabbing or skinning w/a sheeps foot and I think you'll have problems. The drop point will do both reasonably well and will also slice as well as a sheepsfoot as well.

Just saying . . .

Last edited:
It matters in terms of blade shape which limits its usefullness and, with the sheeps foot design, it is NOT a great EDC but great for slicing which is what is most required in food prep.

For EDC, the drop point is probably the best/most verstile blade shape available. Try stabbing or skinning w/a sheeps foot and I think you'll have problems. The drop point will do both reasonably well and will also slice as well as a sheepsfoot as well.

Just saying . . .

I do not agree with your view on blade shape and their limited usefulness.
But I do appreciate your response and explaining your reasoning.

Just got mine, today.. A Mini Kapara, would be High on my list!!!

I had a Ikuchi and really liked it! A friend likes it more.. lol.. So it's his, now..

I also feel the Kapara would be an Amazing use if the, "flipper wheel" like the Ikuchi..

Mmmmm... Mini Kapara, wheel flipper!!!

If it had a flipper wheel, Maybe I wouldn't of felt the need to do a little modifying.. I just felt like I was manipulating my finger, to Spydie flick.
https://imgur.com/a/ajjU3VI

Then came the widest part of the knife..
https://imgur.com/a/GkVPT92

So..... I played with that, too..
https://imgur.com/a/eEdBD2A

I guess a nice etch, will be next.. match it to my Sage 5.. (One of my main, go to, users)
https://imgur.com/a/wyxnLv4

I carried it for a few days and just couldn't leave it alone!

Added some grip groove's.. (quick dremel job)
https://imgur.com/a/qa3SnhY

Better and slightly noticable..

Hack saw blade in hand.. Clean up the lines and gap em a little..
https://imgur.com/a/SNc3Oeb

Much better!!!

Now I'm noticing the back scale slip.. lol.. Tomorrow's project..

Loving the knife tho! I haven't had Any issue with EDC'n it! Been using it a good bit, too..

Bet I could gut and skin a deer with Zero issue, with the sheepsfoot blade, as well!

Back