How hard is blue loctite to break loose?

Been using some green loctite that came with a gun part, Although it should be heavy duty it barely provides any resistance at all 24 hrs later, I tried degreasing the parts and it still didn't help. I went to the store today and bought some blue loctite so I'm curious if I'm expecting too much my loctite was defective, or if the lube I use can't be totally removed by conventional means :p

I have never used the green. There should definitely be a bit of resistance with the blue but its not JB weld or anything.

Which blue formula are you looking at? 242 or 243?

I bought 242 and 243 but applied 243.

Pretty sure the green locktite was 290, which is supposed to be fairly strong so I wondered if i expected loctite to be stronger than it is. But it might be that it is particularly intolerant of oils and the like.

I don't want to check the manix 2 pivots and accidentally break one loose since i got the tension just perfect but I loctited a crap knife so I know what to expect

The blue 243 is what I use...is works whether the fastener has been cleaned or not. Some solvents leave behind a greasy film. 243 combats that and still holds fast.

It should be somewhat difficult to remove. Like loosening a really tight screw. It sounds like it isn't curing right.

When you put it on and assemble the bolt, let it sit for 24 hours without touching it at all. Messing with it even the slightest bit in the first 10 to 20 minutes will cause it to break loose before it has a chance to set.

Back