How I Paint Women ... WARNING PARTIAL NUDITY

Thank you Daniel, the link works, but I could not make heads or tails of how Illustrator works. I'm going to stick with Photoshop.

Here's a link to a YouTube video of a painting start to finish in Photoshop.
It's not my video, but it is very similar to how I work. Now if only I was that fast or that good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgJvp_Rs-yo&feature=related

Wally, I mentioned before that my first goal in life was to work or Walt Disney. I wanted to do animations. Different artists have different jobs; story board, backgrounds, animator (pencil), ink (on cells), and filling in the colors. Not to mention the artist that did the special effects like fire & water. Each job requires it's own skill set, but usually the first guy that touches pen to paper is the most creative.

well said, PhilL

I didn't mean to say Illustrator would be better than Photoshop. I'm a photoshop junkie myself....:D

Just lending support to the whole "photo-realistic painting on the computer" idea that came into question here.

:thumbup:

Dan

I didn't mean to say Illustrator would be better than Photoshop....

Just lending support to the whole "photo-realistic painting on the computer" idea that came into question here.

Dan, I understand perfectly, I do appreciate the link.

Take a look at the Youtube link above. It would be great to show your students.

Ah.....creative....
I don't get to do too much creative in the paying world, so it is more fun playing.
The guys that blow me away are the storyboard illustrators.
Not only good/great but fast.
The guys in my agency are pretty amazing.
I keep saying that I'm going to go for a SB illustrating class, but time keeps slippin by.

it seems you prefer greeneyd, so do I... and I like you work:thumbup:

Awesome stuff phil, as one who has been unable to progress beyond the most basic of stick figure art it's really cool to see the step by step process. Mind you, when I try to duplicate I wind up with something that looks like a certain photo edit you did of my car a few years back :barf::(

Damn, you are not banned for this yet?

Oh i see, your post count is high enough, nevermind.

NI200, you're right I do like green eyes, my wife has green eyes.

Yoda, long time no see, I remember your car, it had kind of a nasty accident IIRC. :D

The reason I showed how I do these painitings is to demonstrate that there is not a lot of drawing going on. Mostly you just block in the different colors and tones.

I'm of the firm opinion that if you have the dexterity to sign your name, then you can learn to draw. Most adults draw at the level of about an 11 year old, that's usually the age when they discover that they draw like a child and are too embarrassed to continue drawing or showing their drawings. If you want to learn to draw the best way I can suggest is to get hold of the book "Drawing From the Right Side of Your Brain". Anyone that follows the lessons from that book will be able to draw.

Oobs are verboten or something ? About the only thing I can draw with any degree of confidence is feathers, knives, and simple 3 dimensional objects. Maybe even landscapes and stuff like that if I really sit down and try, but human faces?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

One more green eye.
I wanted to see if I could match even part of the art work in the video above.
I couldn't match it, but I think I came close.

328569205.jpg

PhilL, you using a mouse or a Wacom tablet?
If it is a mouse, you need a Wacom table and pen.

BTW, the eyes have it :D

Wally, I've been using a Wacom for years.
It's the only way to go.

Revolvergeek, thanks for looking.
Buddy thanks for your comments. Not only computer graphics and air brushing, look at the Tattoo Art that's being done.

I guess there wasn’t enough nudity in the picture to satisfy NStricker. Thirty posts in a year and a half, and he uses one of them to trivialize my work. Not even to critique it, but just to suggest that because it was done in Photoshop that it shouldn’t be called a painting. I wonder if it would be allowed if I did it in Paint Shop Pro?

I’ve done a lot of work in Photoshop, and I don’t own any other Paint program. I’ve worked for many makers here taking their drawings of new knife designs and rendering them as realistic as possible, so they could get feedback and even sell knives before they had actually made them. I even did a tutorial that showed step by step how to design a knife in Photoshop and cyber it to look real.

For example, the background photo of the pistol is real, the knife is from a line drawing submitted by Darrel Ralph.

56286687.jpg

I could have said “How I Cyber” or “....Render Women”, but it actually is Painting in Photoshop, not Photo Editing. Of course the medium is pixels and not paint, but the process is exactly the same. Which is what I tried to indicate in those step by step frames and my explanation. I was painting in oils and water colors from age of 12. I know the steps and how a painting evolves.

Maybe he objected to the use of a photo. I don’t know of any painter or illustrator that tries to create realistic paintings that doesn’t use photographs. Even before there was film for cameras, Dutch masters were using the Camera Obscura to capture realism and perspective in their work. There were other devices going back to the Renaissance that helped artists create their masterpieces. Before these devices there simply was no realistic perspective in painitngs. Maybe folks that don’t know the process would consider it cheating. To not use photographs would be moronic.

"I guess there wasn’t enough nudity in the picture to satisfy NStricker."

That's a cheap shot, and you know it.

"Thirty posts in a year and a half, and he uses one of them to trivialize my work."

Just because I don't run my mouth off doesn't mean I don't have a valid opinion.

"I was painting in oils and water colors from age of 12."

I started earlier than that. I can also piss my name in the snow, but that doesn't make me an expert in calligraphy.

"Maybe he objected to the use of a photo."

Not at all. Whether working from a photo or a live model, the source of the image does not bother me. To do otherwise, and the result would be pure fantasy. I might compare the work to tracing a photograph, and then filling in the color. You know, kind of like a coloring book.

If you want to call it a painting because the software company calls it painting, fine. You have a certain lingo that is accepted in certain circles, and I can accept that. But to call such an image a painting, in my opinion, does not do justice to someone who has the skill and talent to manipulate a brush and apply pigment to create art. Are steps in the process similar? Sure. Maybe it should be called pixelation, instead.

Phil, you are a photoshop master!! Your photoshop work is second to none and I wish I had 10% of your knowledge and talent...........

Damn, you are not banned for this yet?

Oh i see, your post count is high enough, nevermind.

I hope that this is in jest and you simply forgot to add a:D at the end.

If not, your comment is way out of line!! If you look at the history and look thru the archives you will see folks with very high post counts getting banned. It does not matter one bit to Spark or his Moderators what the post count is. Do something that's inappropriate and you will walk the plank as fast as a noobie!!!

But to call such an image a painting, in my opinion, does not do justice to someone who has the skill and talent to manipulate a brush and apply pigment to create art.

I pass wind in the general direction of your opinion. :p

Thanks Ira.

Back