How I Paint Women ... WARNING PARTIAL NUDITY

To be fair, my opinion should not be directed at you, but rather the software firms using the terminology.

Your opinion which is based on no knowledge is worthless.
In other words, who cares what you think?

There was a great sculptor that didn't think much of painting as an art form.
His opinion was worth something because he knew a great deal about painting as well. In fact he had painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. There are many to this day that wouldn't agree with his opinion.

You on the other hand if you had to paint a ceiling I would guess you'd use a roller.

so by the slightly condescending tone i take it you work in the field, graphic art, designer, illustrator? which one?
You can paint in photoshop... seriously the program has brushes and palettes and everything.:rolleyes:
Ive heard artwork done in photoshop called everything from paintings to illustrations to photo-illustrations and everything inbetween...

You might consider the usefulness of your responses before posting
cheers
ivan

Maybe you could address Ivan's question as to your background.

Perhaps even show us your artwork in the medium of your choice.

I just completed another one.
She may look familiar to some of you movie fans.
I never saw her in a staring role, but she was one beautiful female supporting character.
I hope I did her justice.

328929395.jpg

The one on the left is the one I finished today, the one on the right I did back in 2000. I think I'm making some progress.

Last edited:
I’m going to continue working on my paintings skills, but I’m going to hold off posting here for a while.

I did want to go through the steps on this last one, to show the process. I also want to show that every pixel was added separately, and that no part of it was copied and pasted from a photo. I did work directly from a photo. I don’t know of any other way to produce a realistic look without it.

Frames 1 through 9 shows the first layers being blocked in. To the right shows my Layers pallet.

329007199.jpg

Frames 11 through 16 continues to add on and refine different elements.

329007359.jpg

It’s really starting to take shape now. I’m staring to add some of the detail, eye lashes, highlights, etc. On the right you will see some of the Layers that go to make up this image, there’s around 24 shown. Many of those layers were actually made of several merged layers. For example, the eyes are made up of 7 or 8 layers. If all the layers were kept separate there would be well over 100.

329007357.jpg

To make life a little simpler I Duplicated the last file and merged many of the parts. Now it’s down to the details, the fine wisps of hair, the dodging and burning, the blurring and the blending. Now, it’s time to back off and really study what you’ve done. Time to decide when it's enough.

329007352.jpg

This is as good as I can produce today. I know I can get better.

Great work!
Nice feel to the technique. :thumbup:
Can't say I've ever worked with that many layers in one project!:eek:

importantly why would somebody feel the need to start this pissing match in the first place? He didnt even critique your work or process, instead wanted to make your day by offering his oh so helpful nugget of knowledge.
opinions would have been one thing if it would have been useful...
a thumbs up, a thumbs down an honest critique, gut reaction... instead he laments the term painting being used in this context... why???
if ya got nothing constructive (good or bad) to offer perhaps ya leave it alone and move on.
ivan

Great work!
Nice feel to the technique. :thumbup:
Can't say I've ever worked with that many layers in one project!:eek:

You only use as many layers as you need. The more control and the more detail, the more layers you need. It's a good idea to start labeling early, color code and keep in groups. Most important is Save Often!

Ivan, I like where he says that I took a Cheap Shot at him...LOL. What a Putz.
I would have enjoyed an intelligent debate on different mediums, drawing, art history, the use of photography related to paintings.

I don't know why, but this thread attracted two wannabee trolls.
The one you mentioned and the other that wanted me to be banned.
I couldn't figure either one of them, but it doesn't matter. I guess I should thank them, I wanted to show off my work and their stupid posts brought this thread BTTT. and maybe added the popcorn factor. :cool:

Would you call it ironic that he calls my painting Photo Editing, when the Sticky at the top of this forum is "How I Do Image Editing" by ME?

Last edited:
There is just a little too much "light" on the brim area of the hat. A light source that bright would cast a slightly darker and more defined shadow image on her face than the one you have given her. That would be my only CC of that work. Other than that, it looks damn good!!

Not a bad critque and normally I would agree with you.
There's two reason why I rendered like I did, part is just creative license.
Second is that the image is from a movie still, which you will very often see being overlite.

Shadows are opened up with additional lighting. Her eyes should be in deep shadow, but I've still indicated a catch light in her eyes.

Thanks for keeping me honest. At least you didn't want to have me banned.

Movie lighting is very strange. I was watching John Wayne in Rio Lobo the other night, he's in the jailhouse and as he walks from the cells to the front door I noticed he caste four seperate shadows, not counting the two different hair lights I caught. Where the heck were all of these lights coming from? :confused:

Have you ever noticed in a film when two character are talking face to face and yet the Sun is behind both of them in seperate shots? They do it all the time and we're not supposed to notice.

Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody offered a guess as to who the girl in the hat is.

How about this lady?

329351248.jpg

That's a darn nice hand there PhilL.
Hands are tough.

I'm not guessing 'cause I stink at name that star.

Hands are tough.

Hands are tough, in the book I mentioned before Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain, there's a terrific lesson.

You start with a pencil and paper in your drawing hand, put your other hand in a position. Without looking at your drawing hand or the paper, draw the other hand. Just try to match the lines that you see in your hand. It's a pretty good idea to not take the pencil off the paper. When you're done then you can look, but don't worry how it looks.

Next get another piece of paper and draw your hand again. Only this time you can look at what you're drawing, it's a big help. You'll be surprised at how focused you get and how well you can duplicate what you see. Most people don't look that closely when they try to draw something, in fact most people don't look at anything as a model. Since all you need is a pencil and paper and two hands you can practice this lesson whenever you want. Even once a day and in a week you'll be able to draw hands in your sleep. ;)

Add a mirror to the lesson above and you have all the angles covered :D
Good stuff there :thumbup:

Do you think M.C. Escher ever tried that hand drawing lesson?

escher.gif

Or Leonardo?

da-vinci-hands.jpg

Last edited:
She does look familiar but me nor my better half can put a name with the face, I know if you tell I will be like duh.
Anyway great work very inspiring.

Let's try another hint for the girl in the hat.

I only saw her in one movie, almost 20 years ago, but her name and that face stayed with me. The movie was an Action Adventure movie, she was the love interest for both leading men in the movie, who played father and son. She died screaming falling into a hole.

Oh the chick from indiana jones. The one with the holy grail, whichever one that was.

Back