How I photograph knives

I was going to call this How to Photograph Knives, but there are lots of ways to photograph knives, not just my way. The way I do it is so mind boggling simple that I know anyone can duplicate what I do.

Why this tutorial? It’s purely for selfish reasons, I’d prefer to look at good pics of knives rather than bad pics. I hate hearing that shooting photos of knives is hard, it’s not. Taking good photos of knives is easy. Taking great photos is an Art. I’m not going to try to turn you into Jim Weyer or Jim Cooper, in fact you may end up appreciating what they do more than you do now. The goal is to show you how to take consistently good photos of your knives. That I can show you.

All I ask is that you try the way I’m suggesting. Keep it simple, don’t overcomplicate it. Shoot lots of pics, (with a digicam it’s free) show only your best. Try different angles on each knife. Little changes can make huge improvements. Don’t be afraid to show your work here, this is a learning thread. I can’t help you if I don’t see what you’re doing.

Please don’t ask me about props or different color backgrounds. If you can’t take a good photo of a knife on a clean white background then you simply can’t take a good photo of a knife. Everything else is fluff.

With that said, let’s get started.

First the things your going to need

#1 A Camera
#2 A window
#3 a table top, (mine is a 16” by 21” board)
#4 a couple of pieces of typing paper
#5 an Image Editing program
#6 a tripod is a huge plus

To be honest I could probably get by with just a camera and an image editing program, but you have to admit the list is pretty short.

The Setup
225344762.jpg

The window is our light source, it’s cheap, the color is easy to correct, it’s bright and it’s available to most of us.

I rest my table top on the edge of the window, I want to be as close as I can get. The other side of the table top is supported by a light stand, so I can control the angle of the table.

If you’ll notice in the first photo the rear leg of my tripod is extended, this allows me to get my camera more up and over the table top. Be careful how far you extend that back leg you don’t want your camera falling over.

A white piece of typing paper is my background. The subject knife gets placed flat on it. Since we’re all used to a rectangular format for photos, start by placing your knife on a diagonal to use as much of the rectangle as possible.

The camera on the tripod is at about a 45º angle (I would guess). Compose the knife on your cameras viewing screen. Stay within the focus range of your camera.

I’m using my camera’s Auto Focus and Auto Exposure....TURN OFF THE ON CAMERA FLASH! The resolution that I shoot at is called FINE on my camera, shoot at the highest resolution you can set your camera to. This will help later if we need to crop in on the final photo.

225344778.jpg

Here’s my first pic, it looks okay. It’s in focus, the color is okay, I could stop here. The blade is mirror polished but it looks flat and lifeless. Maybe I can do better.

225344773.jpg

By changing the angle just a bit I get some brighter reflection in the blade, it’s better, but I’ve got the bar of the window reflected in the bolster, maybe just another slight angle change.

225344769.jpg

That’s better, nice even lighting over the whole knife, no bad reflections or hot spots. But is it good enough?

225345065.jpg

By just adding a couple of pieces of folded typing paper used as a reflector, I can open the shadows a little and also get some nice reflections in the bolsters. You can see the reflector in the lower left corner of this photo, you should move it out of the frame before you shoot your final pic.

225344767.jpg

These photos are the way they came out of my camera. You’ll notice the white background isn’t white in the photos. The camera is adjusting so that the highlights on the knife are white, they’re much brighter than the white paper, but that’s okay. There is no way that I would normally show any picture right from the camera. Every photo can be improved using an Image Editing Program. That’s why it’s included on the Must Have List.

I use Adobe Photoshop CS as my image editing program and if you have it also, that’s great. If you don’t have it there are several easy to use image editing programs that are either inexpensive or free. I’d suggest looking at Adobe Elements or I’ve heard good things about the Freeware program called GIMP.

http://www.gimp.org/

Find one that can handle the basics for you. The Basics would allow you to color correct, control contrast, crop, and help you sharpen the final photo.

That’s it, that’s how I photograph knives. I told you it was simple didn’t I?

Next up will be How I Do Image Editing.
Which can be viewed here:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452957

Excellent instructions for a newb such as myself. I have been struggling with photos and this was a very useful thread for me. Thank you very much for the time an effort you put into this post.

Look forward to "How I Do Image Editing"

Thanks

That will be of great use as I have a few knives I want to exchange. My actual pics sucks.

Probably the only way that's easier than the way I photograph knives is to use a scanner, and there's nothing wrong with that. I didn't have a digital camera until 2004 and before that I used a scanner. It's hard to scan mirror polished blades, and even harder to scan knives that are bigger than the glass of your scanner. Another thing is you're pretty limited on the angles you can get on your knives.

I can setup to photograph knives in under five minutes. Once I'm setup I can photograph one knife or every knife that I own. I think once you try my way you'll like it. I don't scan knives any more, some of you scanners may like the results from photography more.

Do you have any advices for when someone ask to "show the edge of the blade"?

Do you have any advices for when someone ask to "show the edge of the blade"?

I'm sorry I don't understand the question.
Do you mean they want a close-up of the edge, or the grind?

This tutorial is going to be about basics, just good clean photos.
I'm not going to go into Macro photography or any advanced camera operations. This is for the person that wants a simple point and shoot technique, with the camera set on Auto-Focus and Auto-Exposure.

Phil, I smiled ear-to-ear as I read your initial description. Not because you mentioned me (thank you, though), but because I AGREE, that it is so simple to get suitable photos that it stuns me folks still find it baffling. Thanks for bringing this up again.

Very good showing how positioning the table alters the outcome, and to be aware of of odd reflections. Bernard Levine: "read the knife" PhilL: "read the images"

Image editing: Picasa by Google is also free and highly touted.

Coop

Very good showing how positioning the table alters the outcome, and to be aware of of odd reflections. Bernard Levine: "read the knife" PhilL: "read the images"

Good to see you here Coop.

I just wanted to mention that in these photos I didn't change the angle or tilt of the table. I just moved the camera.

Having a tiltable is nice, but you just need a flat surface to put your subject on.

Looking and seeing are two different things, being able to see the differences of subtle changes needs to be developed. I suggest when in doubt snap the shutter, and then try something different. If it looks better take another shot.
Keep on trying to improve each photo you take. You don't have to really make a decision as to what image is best until you do the image editing. We'll cover how to compare photos in the next tutorial. For now, just take a lot of pics.

Nice work PhilL.
The tripod makes a world of difference.
Even a budget model tripod is steadier than handheld.

I didn't realize that PhilL owned a knife with a nonstag handle :D

I didn't realize that PhilL owned a knife with a nonstag handle :D

I won it in a contest here. :D

I thought long and hard about what knife to photograph for this tutorial. I wanted people to understand it doesn't have to be a high end custom to be worthy of a good photograph. All of your knives deserves a decent photo. I don't care if you're a maker, dealer, collector or if you'd just like to show off the only knife you have. If you're going to show it on BFC I'm probably going to take a look at it, and if I look at it I don't want to read, "Sorry for the lousy pic!"

If you know it's lousy why bother showing it? :confused:

You only have to learn this once. After that you'll have no excuse for showing a lousy pic.

Phil,

Thank you for your time in explaining your approach to keeping it simple.

Phil,

Just wanted to say thanks for the quick and simple tutorial, I have some knives I have been wanting to share with everyone but wasn't happy with any of the pics. This answered alot of questions!!

Jody

"...Please don’t ask me about props or different color backgrounds. If you can’t take a good photo of a knife on a clean white background then you simply can’t take a good photo of a knife. Everything else is fluff...."

Bless you, bless you, bless you. Now, if some people would only listen...;)

PhilL, I really appreciate you posting this thread. This one is lacking some sharpness, perhaps because I do not have a tripod? I still have a long way to go but it is better than some of my other attempts.

IMG_1397.jpg

Thomason, if it's better than your usual then I'm glad.

Please allow me to make a suggestion. Your photo looks like my first photo, you can do better. You could use a little bit more angle on the knife, so that you can get more lite on the blade and the bolsters. This will give the blade a little more life, plus it should cause the camera to shorten the exposure thereby reducing some of the camera movement.

If you're going to photograph a lot of knives get yourself a tripod. It doesn't have to be expensive or new, (mine is probably 30 years old). A tripod will make your life a lot easier. Borrow one if you have to.

Phil,
I have been struggling with photographing my knives since the beginning. Your approach is simple and easy. Just what I was looking for. I even built a light box previously, and experimented with different lighting sources. All with mixed results.

Thank you for your help and taking the time to post. It is very much appreciated. I was considering buying a tripod before. Now I'm sold on the idea.
Thanks Again,
Scott T.

Thanks a lot Phill, I think you have offered some solutions that will be a big help to me.

Leon Pugh

Major problem with this lighting from the top, is that side of the knife - belly which is facing viewer always in shadow, always darker. So light source should be on the same side as viewer and better below the camera. This way all visible parts of the knive will be perfectly visible and shadow will be behind:

Microtech_Currahi-10.jpg

reflection screens help a bit but it will be much better is it will be spoted by light, brighter - not less dark.

Buck110S-20.jpg

See here belly of the handle is lighten.

And light setup is like this one:

How2Photo-my3.jpg

BTW with tripoid and digital camera you may use set of regular desk lamps to make excellent pictures - setting long exposure with small diafragm to have better sharpness depth. With digital camera you may set wight balance to any light source - so it will not matter.

Thanks, Vassili.

What's the saying, "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot"?
Why don't you just turn the knife around?
Or instead of a piece of white paper as a reflector try using a small mirror.

Thanks PhilL! I'm new around BladeForums, and haven't posted much. My close up pictures need alot of work, and this thread is much appreciated by this newbie! I just got a Cannon Rebel XTi for Christmas, and am still learning to use it. I have a tripod from previous photo forays, but am a little shy on south facing windows. Is there a inexpensive alternative in artificial light? Thanks very much!

Back