How I set up my Carothers C-Plate and Radius Platen/Chiller

Well this thread definitely saved me like 3 grand VS the Moen platen. Definitely going to look into this.
Will all of this fit a Northridge Tool grinder?
Just curious.

Yes... but you may have to buy and drill/tap a new platen arm like I did =)

I got my rubber belt and grooved wheel in! Man that was crazy getting the belt on! Any tips matthew?? Works well though :)

I used a careful blend of controlled force, psychology, and extreme violence.

And curse words.
lol, well the way I did it was to loosen the 2 screws that hold the 3rd wheel attachment enough to tilt the wheel to the side a good bit then was able to force/roll it onto the grooved wheel (my other 2 wheels I left rubber and it tracks perfect w/ no issues). the silicone spray was a good idea! I didn't even get any squealing.

I think that’s what I did, as well, but I probably cried for a while, too. Maybe begged and pleaded. Possibly some moping involved, as well. Do what ya gotta.

Isn't it feasible to flip the rubber belt inside-out (like socks) and then roll it back over the three wheels, one groove at a time? Usually this is the technique used when installing rubber covers and the like. I don't know if it can be a good tip in this situation.

Isn't it feasible to flip the rubber belt inside-out (like socks) and then roll it back over the three wheels, one groove at a time? Usually this is the technique used when installing rubber covers and the like. I don't know if it can be a good tip in this situation.

Yeah I tried that but it was too tight for that normal method to work. It only worked once you loosened the 3rd wheel enough to tilt it in a good bit. =)

Have any of you worked out how you’re planning on making a shroud or guard to make this a bit safer? I haven’t mapped it out yet, but I’m hoping to come up with a method to shield the sides. I mentioned it in the opening post of this thread... power transmission belts and grooved wheels are supremely unforgiving to human tissue.

Have any of you worked out how you’re planning on making a shroud or guard to make this a bit safer? I haven’t mapped it out yet, but I’m hoping to come up with a method to shield the sides. I mentioned it in the opening post of this thread... power transmission belts and grooved wheels are supremely unforgiving to human tissue.

Safety?

I bet you put rubber tips on your knitting needles as well LOL.

I'm making a cad program for a side cover that will cover all three wheels on the open side.
I'll probably have a few of them cut out if anyone is interested. They will bolt on with the axle bolts.

I got my rubber belt and grooved wheel in! Man that was crazy getting the belt on! Any tips matthew?? Works well though :)

Seems like the mount screw slots could be longer, and then a tensioning screw if possible?

The guard is probably a very very good idea. I've been using my rotary platen for about 2 years, and every time I take steel to it I try to imagine my fingers getting mangled first so I don't get complacent.
I wonder why Beaumont never made a guard? Nobody ever got caught in it?

Here is how I setup mine. Anybody that decides to set theirs up like this does so at their own risk.There are some nasty pinch points that you need be very careful with.
I have designed and will be testing a bolt on guard, if it works out I will offer them up for sale. Nothing fancy and certainly something anybody with a drill press and some sheet metal could make.

I'm gonna have to find a longer belt... the 320J20 belt is too short, it's causing the screws to dig into the aluminum 3rd wheel fixture - too tight =(
i-jTMjTjc-X2.jpg

You could drill and tap your axle screws, then attach the guard to the axle screws...

You played Amy Winehouse in the background just for me, didn’t you? :D

Here is how I setup mine. Anybody that decides to set theirs up like this does so at their own risk.There are some nasty pinch points that you need be very careful with.
I have designed and will be testing a bolt on guard, if it works out I will offer them up for sale. Nothing fancy and certainly something anybody with a drill press and some sheet metal could make.

I'm gonna have to find a longer belt... the 320J20 belt is too short, it's causing the screws to dig into the aluminum 3rd wheel fixture - too tight =(
i-jTMjTjc-X2.jpg
Or just buy another grooved wheel and run them on the platen and a smooth idler on the third wheel adapter. Adding another smooth wheel will only make it tighter. You’re running on the outside diameter of the rubber wheels, which is wider than if you were running grooved wheels.

You might be trying to do to many things with one tool arm.

I totally missed that you were using smooth wheels for the two platen idlers, Josh. My bad. Ben’s totally right.

Good point guys, okay I'll order another grooved wheel and switch them up as suggested! Thanks !

Back