How is the rust resistance of VG10?

I'm getting my first VG10 knife soon (Spyderco Street Beat) and am curious as to how VG10 performs in regard to rust resistance. I live in the Midwest of the USA and the weather here pretty much runs the gamut (everything from hot and humid days like it is right now to a sub-zero frozen wasteland). I've been EDCing a Spyderco Tenacious for the past year and all I've gotten (without ever oiling or even wiping down the knife) is a tiny amount of cosmetic rust in the jimping, which I was able to scrape off without any issues.

I guess another way to ask is how VG10 compares to 8Cr12MoV. If I haven't had any issues real issues with the Tenacious, should I have any issues with the Street Beat? Would there a be a big difference between my pocket carry of the Tenacious and either belt or IWB carry of the Street Beat?

As VG-10 was originally developed for Japanese pruning blades, you will find it's performance to be stellar. I have never had a problem with rust on a VG-10 blade, so it is unlikely you will get worse conditions than West Coast ocean salt air.

As for 8Cr12MoV vs. VG-10, the VG-10 will out perform the 8Cr12MoV in every catagory.

My VG10 Spyderco Yang and Fallkniven White Whale are prone to rusting if I don't dry them soon after washing.
However, any rust spots polish off easily.

have used vg10 in many knives for years. very little rust & that's with minimal care. if you go salt h2o fishing one member suggests a light wipe daily with olive oil , some swear by tuff- glide.dennis

I have never had any issues with rusting on my Spydercos, however I have had some staining when I did not wipe them after cutting fruit. Mother's metal polish was effective in removing the staining. Prior to reuse for food I cleaned off the polish.
I now give my blades the occasional wipe down with mineral oil and have not seen any further issues.

VG-10 has high rust resitance. It will rust only if you neglect the knife and leave it wet and dirty for long periods.

VG-10 has very good rust resistance. For the most part, the only corrosion I've gotten on VG-10 has been on several of my Spyderco lockbacks, but only in the notch in the blade tang where the lockback mechanism fits when locked open. The surfaces in the well of the lock are a rougher surface (not polished), so they can develop some minor surface discoloring or rust. I've also gotten a little discolored spot on a Delica's blade from sweat in my pocket once, but removed it easily with a pencil eraser.

It's not in the same league as H-1 in corrosion resistance, but VG-10 is good at it. But do wipe off the blade after use.
Jim

Thanks everyone. Now if only H1 could match VG-10's edge retention...

Should a dry microfiber cloth suffice for wiping off the blade, then?

I live in humid southern Texas, and have never had an issue with vg10. I have had several models with this steel, but the most telling would be my ladybug. It sits on my keychain, and has for many years been mistreated and neglected. However, not a spot of rust:thumbup:

Its pretty darn good for rust resistance. ....but im in the swamps. All steels stainless or carbon or tool etc rust down here if not taken good care of. In fact the only steel i own that doesn't rust if not taken care of is h1.

My rafting/canoeing/kayaking knie is VG10, it's coated but the bare edge has never rusted even though it spends quite a bit of time submerged.

My VG10 Spyderco Yang and Fallkniven White Whale are prone to rusting if I don't dry them soon after washing.
However, any rust spots polish off easily.

similar to this with my fallknivens. I rehandled my S1 and bead blasted it and it's gotten considerably worse as there are more divots to hold water on the steel... again. it comes off pretty easily.

I have a nice VG10 chefs knife that has wet stuff, acidic stuff, all kinds of stuff on it. Some times I am super bad and leave it unwashed until the next day (putting kids to bed drains your energy). I have never had it show any signs of rust.

I rusted Vg10 pretty bad before. Doing several dumb things...

EDC'ing a spyderco civilian

Cutting open ice-melt (salt) bags

Not cleaning knife after use

Cut me some slack, this was over a decade ago. :D

Live on the coast in the west, salty air and all, I've never had problems with VG-10 rusting. Can't speak to the street beat, but looks like a fun piece! I'm sure with enough negligence you could get most anything to rust.

Back